News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

Quote from: PumperKrickel on October 08, 2020, 05:59:41 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 08, 2020, 05:43:24 PM
The way that Safari has been revealing their new products is intended to get us talking about them. They know they have a following and that it will generate conversation. We don't even have proper photos yet and this thread is on its fifth page. It's a marketing strategy which attracts our attention over a longer period of time.

How do they benefit from the length of this thread exactly? I highly doubt it is a marketing strategy aimed at us, and if it is, it´s a very bad one. Intentionally annoying your most devoted fanbase would be high risk with no reward.

I agree. I don't really like the idea of long weeks of teases, silhouettes. Maybe for a week. If they revealed all the silhouettes, left us talking for a week, and than revealed the models, that's ok. But several weeks of only silhouettes and then a couple figures, then a couple more two weeks later.  I wish they do it like CollectA does. A few models a week, for abouth a month and be done with it.

suspsy

I totally get that it's all a marketing strategy, but it's one that I don't care for. There's always plenty of energetic discussion generated by reveals in and of themselves.

Anyway, hopefully there will be actual images very soon and this will all become moot.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

What makes this annoying to me is the silhouettes are even blurred.  It would have been more exciting if they weren't blurred.  Plus the selection of prehistoric animals seems quite disappointing to me and that makes this "reveal" even more lacklustre.

Halichoeres

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think the guessing games are fun. The one from a couple of years back where they showed just a small part of the figure was more fun than this version, though--similar to how EoFauna has revealed its figures. It's true that for this audience, the guessing isn't particularly challenging, but as avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. noted, we're mostly not the target.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 08, 2020, 07:37:39 PM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think the guessing games are fun. The one from a couple of years back where they showed just a small part of the figure was more fun than this version, though--similar to how EoFauna has revealed its figures. It's true that for this audience, the guessing isn't particularly challenging, but as avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. noted, we're mostly not the target.
Honestly, i like it like this:
1. get some of your figures for the year
2. Show random parts of them
3. Eventually "build up" the figure with different images until they are fully reaveled
4 Show the rest of the figures on a CollectA-esque way

Shonisaurus

Honestly, it is quite frustrating that Safari does not reveal the news for 2021 but the positive point of view that I find in this thread that is becoming eternal is that it gives a feeling of suspense that I sincerely like.

The longer they take to reveal their Safari news, the more exciting it will be for me to follow that thread. Honestly, if Safari revealed all its figures soon and in a record period of time, as it has done in previous years, it would take away the emotion and suspense. I do not see in a way bad that they take time to reveal these figures although I sincerely hope that the news of Safari 2021 will be interesting for everyone.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: PumperKrickel on October 08, 2020, 05:59:41 PM
How do they benefit from the length of this thread exactly? I highly doubt it is a marketing strategy aimed at us, and if it is, it´s a very bad one. Intentionally annoying your most devoted fanbase would be high risk with no reward.

I'm no expert in marketing, but I suppose they figure that the more attention the better, and plenty of kids probably look at their website. I'm not saying it's working but with the way they're doing it, each piece is coming up twice-- once for the teaser and again for the final photo. Either way, I'm sure it isn't going to effect our opinions on the final figures. I'll probably end up buying them all just as in previous years. I'm not complaining, though. I'm excited to see what Safari has in store for next year but I know it'll be here before we know it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

stargatedalek

I'm sure as a kid I would be instantly bored by the silhouettes. A little part of the figure shows us what it's generally going to look like, as opposed to generally what it's going to represent, and that's a lot more exciting as it actually shows us something specific to the figure. This might as well be a list of the names, it's about as much to go on in terms of knowing what they'll look like.

PrimevalRaptor

Agreed, the silhouettes are nice cause we can fairly well guess the animal, but I also prefer the previews where you see a part of the model (especially since we had some fun speculations over those back then)

Ikessauro

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 08, 2020, 09:02:26 PM
I'm sure as a kid I would be instantly bored by the silhouettes. A little part of the figure shows us what it's generally going to look like, as opposed to generally what it's going to represent, and that's a lot more exciting as it actually shows us something specific to the figure. This might as well be a list of the names, it's about as much to go on in terms of knowing what they'll look like.

I too think kids would be bored by it. Kids nowadays are used to things (specially information) moving a much faster pace than say, 15 years ago. Every minute new massive amounts of info is thrown in our faces via internet, so seing this teasers dilutes the impact of the reveal.

It's like movies nowadays, you go into a movie knowing almost the whole plot by only watching a trailer. Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom for instance, I'd say I was not surprised by any of the movie.

By the time Safari finally reveals the models, we'll be so tired of commenting on the silhouettes, that we'll throw a couple of comments here as a final judgment of the toy and be done with it, moving on to the next reveals, like CollectA, Mattel or whatever it is being unveiled next.

Patrx

I'm with Hali, I think the guessing games are a fun way to build hype :)

triceratops83

Funny how Safari's reveals are among the first, except for Collecta it's all pretty much down hill from here.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Shonisaurus

It is not to be ominous or pessimistic but I honestly get the impression that this year Safari will reveal few figures according to the announcements of its revelations (together three theropods and in a certain way smaller than expected, especially the spinosaurus latest scientific version). I fear that this year the Safari revelations as a result of the pandemic are going to be the poor ones in decades and the same can happen with the rest of Western companies of prehistoric animals and toy dinosaurs. Hopefully I'm wrong.

SidB

Quote from: triceratops83 on October 10, 2020, 10:38:04 AM
Funny how Safari's reveals are among the first, except for Collecta it's all pretty much down hill from here.
Maybe 2021 will be a good year for many of us to play catch-up with some of the past figures that we've wanted, but couldn't afford at the time.

ceratopsian

That's a good point S @SidB.

Add to that there's always the occasional extra unexpected announcement - we also have Wild Past, PNSO, Eofauna etc to brighten our days with new models popping up from time to time.

Dinoxels

I heard a rumor from a 2nd hand account that someone got in contact with Safari Ltd. that reveals for the 2021 products won't be till November. As this is a rumor there is a chance it's fake, but this actually seems probable for Safari Ltd. to reveal there products then.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoxels on October 10, 2020, 05:06:48 PM
I heard a rumor from a 2nd hand account that someone got in contact with Safari Ltd. that reveals for the 2021 products won't be till November. As this is a rumor there is a chance it's fake, but this actually seems probable for Safari Ltd. to reveal there products then.

Assuming that is indeed the case, then this whole teaser campaign strikes me as even lamer. But we shall see.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Kapitaenosavrvs

I have to be honest. I really do not care, how Safari does their Reveal this time. They come, when they come. It will be this Year. If i am mourning about their way of teasing, it does not get faster. Or slower. Or will change at all. I understand, that one wants to see the new Reveals ( Mee, too. Of course). But we are talking about days, weeks or months. and nothing, that will End the World, if they come later as whished.

Maybe their Prototype Paintjobs aren't finished to 100%. i don't know. We'll see.

Have a great Weekend @ all.

Julius.

GojiraGuy1954

I think it's Carcharodontosaurus, Megalosaurus and Spinosaurus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

bmathison1972

This discussion means only one thing. No matter how a company unveils its new products someone won't be happy  8) :P C:-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: