News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 12, 2020, 07:47:42 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 11, 2020, 08:37:07 AM
....... resignation and conformism make us better people .......

No and no! I cannot agree.

Maybe avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus meant commitment or agreement rather than conformism. Resignation in German has a false friend called "Resignation", with he probably did not mean either. I regard his thinking as stoical.

Back to topic, I hope Safari dares less, yet daring species. Sorry, but I don´t need another theropod or a new "this - time - it´s -  this- number - of - horns - in - this  - array" - ops.

Loon

Quote from: suspsy on October 12, 2020, 02:31:52 PM
While I can certainly understand Safari's reasons for reducing the number of releases next year, it will be a tremendous disappointment if they are all theropods. Doug Watson would have completed sculpting on the 2021 models a long time ago, so presumably he did a whole bunch of them.

We shall see.

Could be, but, if they really do plan on releasing a few of them, they might just hold the others till next year. I hope not, but, we'll see.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: SidB on October 12, 2020, 12:04:16 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on October 12, 2020, 11:47:11 AM
I don't mind a smaller line up for this year tbh. Got plenty of fantastic Safari figures I still need to catch up on, some I've been putting off for years.
Exactly! Definitely the silver lining in the cloud. Not to mention catching-up with other brands too.

I feel the same way, tbh.
Although if Collecta doesn't make one this year, it looks like I'll be waiting another year for a decent Centrosaurus...

PrimevalRaptor

Seems like we were spot on then. :D
Pretty excited since I've been wanting a new Daspletosaurus for some time (and cause it can incorporate the studies on it's facial tissue) and I'm hoping it will maybe at least have some fuzz.

suspsy

Well, now we just need to see actual pictures. I guess it really is just three toys in the prehistoric line. Assuming that Doug did indeed complete work on more 2021 figures prior to the pandemic, I wish whoever was in charge of selection at Safari had gone with more variety. Three theropods is admittedly kind of boring, especially with two of them belonging to the same family.

But like I've said before, it's still speculation. Maybe there's more to come.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Are good news:

A daspletosaurus, a well-known tyrannosauroid but little represented in the collectibles and toy markets. Perhaps the best daspletosaurus made so far is the one from Jetoar.

A baryonyx I am convinced will far outperform its Carnegie counterpart.

A spinosaurus, is the new sculpture to have of the latest scientific discovery. Although the size is smaller than one expected.

You just need to release the photos.

Dinoxels

? @Stolpergeist Does that website have the names for all of the 2021 figures from Safari? If so I would like to see them.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 13, 2020, 01:23:08 PM
Other than the descriptions on the Safari site being extremely on the nose, a Brazilian retailer has now properly revealed what each genus is.
Albertosaurus would have been fantastic too but I am equally happy with Daspletosaurus as the only options for now are the sitting one by CollectA and the fantastic model by avatar_Jetoar @Jetoar.
Ignore the part that claims Daspletosaurus is a fish-eater, that is likely a typo stemming from copypasting.

Oh, thanks. If that is true, i guess i will just get all three. If i like them of course.

I think theres no need to talk about the Spinosaurids. Daspletosaurus comes in handy, maybe it fits the Collecta Daspleto. They would be a good pair and the "sitting" Daspleto would look way better in this Case.
Also, Daspletosaurus is the second biggest Carnivore in the upcoming Path of Titans Game. Handy again.

Faelrin

Good to see some confirmation about what these are but y'all were right with guessing anyways. Now the wait for pictures and/if there may be any more to come (and if not there's over 30 for me to catch up on from them, including some retired ones, not counting Carnegie Collection releases).

While I am obviously excited for the spinosaurids, being two of my favorite dinosaurs after all, I am wondering what the Daspletosaurus will look like. Very few options for this as is. Now I'm only hoping to see Safari Ltd do a new Guanlong, and a new Albertosaurus and/or Gorgosaurus, and maybe Tarbosaurus some day as well. At least they are finally expanding their selection of tyrannosaurs beyond T. rex, from this and last year's Qianzhousaurus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: PumperKrickel on October 11, 2020, 04:41:42 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 11, 2020, 02:47:04 PM
I'm trying to think of a way that companies could reveal their products that would make me unhappy, and I can't think of one aside from their launching them into my face with a trebuchet.

"We originally planned to release a figure of Haikouichthys, but have this T-Rex instead."

Ha ha ha, well I often find plenty to object to in what companies choose to release, but I rarely object to their manner of announcing it. I concede that a bait and switch would annoy me.

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian The word conformidad in Spanish doesn't have the same meaning as "conformity" in English; it's something closer to "acceptance." In English it's acquired a pejorative connotation that implies rigid adherence to social norms; that sense is absent in Spanish.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ikessauro

Oh!  I didn't notice you guys had taken my listings as confirmation of the Safari Ltd. Species. Please, don't regard my website in this case, because I was only speculating.

Here's my reasoning behind it:

The Spinosaurus is quite obvious since, the new tail has been unveilled and it has a quite distinctive body shape. So I was assuming it was Spinosaurus, from it and based on the description on Safari's website which says: "This dinosaur is potentially one of the largest meat-eating dinosaurs ever discovered."

We all know Spinosaurus is the largest theropod length wise, and since Oxalaia and Sigilmasasaurus have been considered sinonimous with Spinosaurus, I doubt Safari would have had done one of those.

The "Baryonyx" was identified like that because Safari already has a Suchomimus, Baryonyx is quite in evidence due to Jurassic World and there's no good Baryonyx in Safari's catalog now. They need one.
The toy description on the website says "This dinosaur had a long snout full of sharp teeth." This combined with the silhouette in the website makes it look quite like Baryonyx. I doubt Safari would tackle Irritator or some other obscure incomplete spinosaurids.

The "Daspletosaurus" is a more difficult id, but I assumed it could be that one because the Safari website says: "This dinosaur had proportionally longer arms than its larger, more famous cousin." 

I assumed the "cousin" was T.rex, which is known for the small arms. Thus making the new model a tyrannosaur. Judging from the silhouette it looks to be a very stocky animal. According to Wikipedia (I know, not very reliable), Daspletosaurus has the largest arms in proportion to body size in tyrannosaurids.

But I could very well be wrong, I'm just guessing here. I don't have confirmation from Safari of any of this. I don't have a 2020 catalog nor any information regarding the new releases, other than the ones we all here already know

suspsy

You should probably take those down then. Better to have confirmation.

John

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 13, 2020, 06:44:01 PM
Oh!  I didn't notice you guys had taken my listings as confirmation of the Safari Ltd. Species. Please, don't regard my website in this case, because I was only speculating.

Here's my reasoning behind it:

The Spinosaurus is quite obvious since, the new tail has been unveilled and it has a quite distinctive body shape. So I was assuming it was Spinosaurus, from it and based on the description on Safari's website which says: "This dinosaur is potentially one of the largest meat-eating dinosaurs ever discovered."

We all know Spinosaurus is the largest theropod length wise, and since Oxalaia and Sigilmasasaurus have been considered sinonimous with Spinosaurus, I doubt Safari would have had done one of those.

The "Baryonyx" was identified like that because Safari already has a Suchomimus, Baryonyx is quite in evidence due to Jurassic World and there's no good Baryonyx in Safari's catalog now. They need one.
The toy description on the website says "This dinosaur had a long snout full of sharp teeth." This combined with the silhouette in the website makes it look quite like Baryonyx. I doubt Safari would tackle Irritator or some other obscure incomplete spinosaurids.

The "Daspletosaurus" is a more difficult id, but I assumed it could be that one because the Safari website says: "This dinosaur had proportionally longer arms than its larger, more famous cousin." 

I assumed the "cousin" was T.rex, which is known for the small arms. Thus making the new model a tyrannosaur. Judging from the silhouette it looks to be a very stocky animal. According to Wikipedia (I know, not very reliable), Daspletosaurus has the largest arms in proportion to body size in tyrannosaurids.

But I could very well be wrong, I'm just guessing here. I don't have confirmation from Safari of any of this. I don't have a 2020 catalog nor any information regarding the new releases, other than the ones we all here already know

It is true,Daspletosaurus does have the longest arms relative to it's body of any known tyrannosaurid.Wikipedia is right about that. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Ikessauro

Quote from: suspsy on October 13, 2020, 06:55:39 PM
You should probably take those down then. Better to have confirmation.

I don't thin I should. There's no harm in having those pages up. When the real figures are revealed, if the names are incorrect, I can just edit them accordingly.

Mattyonyx

Who does remember the Safari Ltd. Poll for the 2021 products? I don't remember the rules...

suspsy

Quote from: Mattyonyx on October 14, 2020, 03:31:33 PM
Who does remember the Safari Ltd. Poll for the 2021 products? I don't remember the rules...

The winner suggested a mermaid Toob.

Halichoeres

I'll be very surprised if this is all for the reveals. The teasers include "Designer Toob #1" but not "Designer Toob #2," and "Dragon #1" but not "Dragon #2." I think if those were really going to be the only ones in their respective categories, they'd have left them unnumbered.

I also doubt that the Mythical Dinosaurs have anything to do with Dino Dana. I think they might just be an attempt to appeal to people who like Rebor-type stuff but have smaller budgets than a typical Rebor collector.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Loon

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 14, 2020, 08:58:28 PM
I also doubt that the Mythical Dinosaurs have anything to do with Dino Dana. I think they might just be an attempt to appeal to people who like Rebor-type stuff but have smaller budgets than a typical Rebor collector.

It'd be kinda weird to have two sets of Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus release at around the same time though. Also, if they were really going for the Rebor market, they'd only release the theropod and then complain that herbivores are boring and not release the triceratops.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on October 15, 2020, 12:37:00 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 14, 2020, 08:58:28 PM

It'd be kinda weird to have two sets of Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus release at around the same time though. Also, if they were really going for the Rebor market, they'd only release the theropod and then complain that herbivores are boring and not release the triceratops.

Good point re: Rebor.

Has it been established that the Dino Dana line will be a Triceratops and a Ty***nosaurus? The show has featured lots of different species.

Loon

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres actually, I think that may have just been a rumor, now that it think about it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: