News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 27, 2021, 12:13:53 PM
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Sincerely, your comments are making me rethink about not buying the Safari 2021 figures and preferring the two Eofauna triceratops gives me the impression that the material as you mention is not as good as that of other years, and with age I have become practical and I like above all dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in more resistant PVC.

I see that some members of DTF are very disappointed when it comes to the material of these figures.

I'm so sorry that your baryonyx is so bad, I suppose they have saved material as a result of the pandemic crisis. In my case, I will buy other figures this year. I see there are complaints regarding the 2021 Safari figures. I am a supporter of dinosaur figures with strong and non-deformable PVC and I see that the well modeled Safari dinosaur figures have dropped in material quality and I say that with all my Ignorance and ignorance of reality, since I still do not have any figure and with all the respect in the world to Safari, which for me is one of my favorite companies and whose main sculptor Doug is for me the favorite and a total eminence in creativity and beauty of figures.

I don't know, my Baryonyx stands perfectly, I must be lucky.

Jose S.M.

My Safari theropods are hit and miss. They Tyrannosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus and Deinonychus warped some days to months after getting them. Granted I live in a hot tropical region and even in rainy season can get hot in the midday. Monolophosaurus and Masiakasaurus stand if placed in a certain way.  And Coelophysis, made a tripod to prevent due to its small feet, stands perfectly with its tail off the ground ever since 2017.

Halichoeres

I've given up expecting bipeds to stand freely. If they do, unexpected bonus, but it's such a hard thing to get consistently right that I'm pretty forgiving about it. That's different from having severely warped ankles on receipt, however. I've also never gotten the hot water trick to work, although I've gotten temporary fixes from standing a theropod on a radiator and then re-posing it. I'm sure the hair dryer is more efficient.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

I recently tried doing the boiling water treatment on my PNSO Ankylosaurus' tail. Ended up reverting back to the bent position rather quickly. Maybe I'll try the hairdryer next?

On another note, I acquired the Daspletosaurus and the Spinosaurus this week. The former is truly excellent and makes me yearn for more tyrannosaurids from our dear Doug; I think he does them as well as he does ceratopsians. As for the Spinosaurus, it really feels like a product from a different company. It's small (which I don't mind), it's got major shrink-wrapping on its head and sail (which I do mind somewhat), and it feels like it was made from a cheaper grade of plastic. That said, I still rather like it. Whoever sculpted it did a very fine job with the detailing, especially on the tail.
I would be keen to see more work from this mystery artist.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SenSx

Quote from: suspsy on March 28, 2021, 08:47:07 PM
I recently tried doing the boiling water treatment on my PNSO Ankylosaurus' tail. Ended up reverting back to the bent position rather quickly. Maybe I'll try the hairdryer next?

The hot water treatment has never worked for me, it always went back to it's initial bent position when I tried.
Never tried the hairdryer method, but I have my doubts.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: SenSx on March 28, 2021, 10:44:56 PM

The hot water treatment has never worked for me, it always went back to it's initial bent position when I tried.

Did you also try the Cold shock afterwards and the Position you want should be a exaggerated for the moment, to fight the Postwarp. But i guess, you did exactly that. Worked sometimes for me, but depends on the Material of course. And your Climate.

SenSx

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on March 30, 2021, 01:46:07 PM
Quote from: SenSx on March 28, 2021, 10:44:56 PM

Did you also try the Cold shock afterwards and the Position you want should be a exaggerated for the moment, to fight the Postwarp. But i guess, you did exactly that. Worked sometimes for me, but depends on the Material of course. And your Climate.

Yes I did the cold shock afterward, but it did not stay.
Maybe it's due to the material of the figure, my first attempt was on the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus bent leg.
But I ended up glueing it to it's base, with a hole in it and a rod to make sure it is solid.
When I made that hole in the figure, I went to far and notice the material was very fragile, so maybe it's not PVC but something more sensitive to heat.
The other figure was my second Nanmu Spinosaurus with a bent crest, hot water does not even make it more malleabler, the  material is very hard (quite the contrary here).

The only thing that worked was hot water on articulations to make them less stiff, and yet I'm still working on that Acrocanthosaurus mouth that require a bit of work.

andrewsaurus rex

with some plastics there is just nothing you can do.  I bend my figures often but have had zero luck with PNSO plastic, whether it be the hollow vinyl or with solid figures like the ankylosaurus.   PNSO plastics will just not stay no matter what you do....at least I haven't found any way.  Safari and Schleich plastics are awesome.....best to work with.  Minimal heating required even on thicker sections and very little 'spring back' to its original position.

The least effective  bending method is the hair dryer method but it's also the easiest...this is what I mostly use and always try first and am very often successful with it.  You have to be patient with it though.....it takes minutes to heat the plastic enough, not seconds..

If that fails boiling water comes next, however I find that boiling water can bleach the colour out of figures so you have to be careful....typically I  just use this when i'm going to repaint the figure

last method is to hold the area to be bent over a candle....this is usually very effective but it is also very easy to damage the figure so care has to be taken.  I use birthday candles as they are smaller and produce less intense heat.  Do not hold the part to be reshaped still over the candle......move it slowly back and forth so it heats up more slowly.  And make sure you rotate the part to be bent around, so that all surfaces of it get heated not just one side (this is true for all methods).   At some point the plastic should get feeling quite soft.  That is when you bend it.......go a little further than you want to because there is usually some 'spring back' to the original position with plastic figures.  Run it under cold water for a good 60 seconds (have the tap running while your heating so you don't lose precious seconds turning the tap on....the plastic starts cooling very quickly).

I don't recommend the candle method for hollow vinyl figures....just the hair dryer method for them.

One last thing I should add: for thicker parts you're only option is probably boiling water.  The hair dryer will never heat the core of the part enough to allow it to bend and stay and by the time the candle heats the core sufficiently, it will probably have melted the surface of the plastic.  But as I said above, boiling water can bleach the colour out of figures, so brace yourself if you try it.   Really, one should avoid trying to bend thicker parts and just stick to tails, ankles and knees, arms and necks

Fembrogon

I alternate between hair dryer and hot water methods, depending on the figure - usually I get results much faster with the hot water. However, I think I've found that if one method doesn't work for a figure, the other method probably won't last either. It's just the way that particular figure is.

andrewsaurus rex

I have a cheap little Sunbeam hairdryer I got a Walmart for $10 and it produces heat of 196F.   Not sure if by 'hot water' you meant boiling water or not, but it will take boiling water to make much of a difference as compared to a hair dryer. 

suspsy

Here's a surprise: a new version of the Feathered T. rex for the Dino Dana line!

https://www.safariltd.com/products/dino-dana-feathered-t-rex-toy-1

Looks spiffy.

Faelrin

There's also repainted babies in eggs. Probably for the new movie I'm guessing?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

I actually like this paintjob more than the original, and I don't actually have the original yet. Shameful I know, but I think I'll pick up this one instead.

Carnoking

Wow, that's pretty cool. I don't much care for the feather tips of the mane, but certainly a nice surprise.

Thialfi

Wow, beautiful! I have the original already and am perfectly content with that one, but this paint scheme is really something else. Impressive!

Dinoxels

This is what I wanted from the Dino Dana line. Really neat repaints! The baby figures are also cool.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Dusty Wren

Yeah, I really dig the colors on this version. We don't get a lot of sunny yellow therapods.
Check out my customs thread!

suspsy

I wonder if this means other recent Safari dinosaurs will receive the DD repaint treatment. The Stegosaurus and the Triceratops would probably look cool in bright colours.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Oh, what a neat surprise. The more i look at the Pictures and try to imagine it as a whole, the more i like it. This still is one of the best Figures from Safari to me. Not my colours, but since it is feathered, why not some colours. Looks fantastic, next to the "old" one i would think.

Skorpio V.

Just putting the link to the baby hatchling set thing: https://www.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/products/dino-dana-dinosaur-toy-bundle

They look nicely, painted; needless to say I'm ecstatic for the potential this holds for repaints (crossing my fingers for a repainted quetzalcoatlus), the Dino Dan series in general has had really good concept art, colour-wise https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YazzAb
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: