News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2021 (Image Heavy op)

Started by Faelrin, November 29, 2020, 10:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

The Snap Squads remind me of the baby dragon aesthetics from How to Train Your Dragon, plus being a little reminiscent of The Land Before Time - and I'm sure that's broadly the intent. These are cute, highly-stylized toys, as already mentioned; they're meant for kids and fun for adults who like the "chibi" style too.
I suppose there might be some irony in this line being more consistent than the regular figures, but maybe that also comes with the distinct style.

Reuben03

Quote from: Fembrogon on April 12, 2021, 05:53:51 PM
The Snap Squads remind me of the baby dragon aesthetics from How to Train Your Dragon, plus being a little reminiscent of The Land Before Time - and I'm sure that's broadly the intent. These are cute, highly-stylized toys, as already mentioned; they're meant for kids and fun for adults who like the "chibi" style too.
I suppose there might be some irony in this line being more consistent than the regular figures, but maybe that also comes with the distinct style.
that's true!!
they do look like baby dragons, except even more disproportionate haha. baby nadders r perfect

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Faelrin

New in package pics of the Wild Pack Herrerasaurus, Zuniceratops, Dimorphodon, and Dracorex.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Faelrin

I feel like this deserves a double post, not an edit.

After waiting since 2018 we are finally getting the Ford Explorer, a (mostly) screen accurate T. rex (no pale jaw like on the Epic Roarin), and a Tim Murphy figure (with Night Goggles), but poor Lex is still MIA.

Edit: Looks like the T. rex is another Extreme Chomping repaint/retool so on the small side, unfortunately. I would have gladly shelled out more for this set to have a bigger T. rex (and Lex).

Reuben03

anyone else loving the new boxes??
looking goooood

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Reuben03 on April 13, 2021, 05:57:08 PM
anyone else loving the new boxes??
looking goooood

Definitely. They keep getting better every year.

Quote from: Faelrin on April 13, 2021, 05:55:15 PM

WOAH. That was completely unexpected! I need it!

Although, the one thing that worries me is the likelihood of having to buy the explorer and/or Tim and/or another T. rex again in another set down the line, like the jeep. Especially considering the absence of Lex.

suspsy

On the one hand, I think I speak for many people when I say that I'm very tired of the EC T. rex being released over and over again. On the other hand, it's a solid toy that appears to have had reliable sales, so I guess it makes sense.

I have never had any interest in JP vehicles, but I'm happy for those fans who do.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reuben03

Quote from: suspsy on April 13, 2021, 06:22:15 PM
I have never had any interest in JP vehicles, but I'm happy for those fans who do.
What about the JP2 trailer?
no one can resist that surely??

suspsy

On the contrary, I resisted it very easily back in 1997 and nothing has changed since. I have never had any interest in vehicles or human figures. Indeed, on the rare occasions when I bought a two-pack in order to own the dinosaur, I got rid of the human.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

OH! we are finally getting the explorer  :o

Damn it! I dont need another T.rex... I already have three!

And no, giving away the T.rex is not an option for me, a special set like this one deserves to be kept in its entirely.

I get that they have to sell it alongside a dinosaur to help with sales but I think this is one of the few cases they could have done without it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm going to need at least three..so I have have two tour vehicles for a dio and one to leave in box as Im sure like with the Nedry set it will have a nice background and display well that way too.

I'm betting a Lex figure is coming as a con exclusive this year then to be, probably, repacked next year with a broken explorer and another tyrannosaur. Maybe some fencing..idk.

That particular Rex I think I have four of not counting in package doubles. It does look like some of them had some retooling so they aren't 100% the same... 

I love the vehicles and playsets so much, it's not Jurassic Park to me unless we have interactions.  The whole point is "dinosaurs and man, throw into the mix together.."  that aspect always made me excited. 

Faelrin

Despite how excited I am for this set, the more I think about why Lex is missing (other then to keep the cost down, as was the case with the T. rex possibly re-using that EC sculpt), the more it frustrates me, and the more it reminds me of the issues the other human female characters have faced with this toyline since 2018. Such as Maisie, Claire, and Ellie all being shortpacked and very hard to find. Maybe Zia as well (although I anecdotally had more luck finding her figure many times). It's probably the same reason we never saw Claire on any of the packaging, despite her importance to the film's stories. It seems to be why Yaz is so far the only CC female character to have a figure coming out (based on listings put up early revealing the sets).

If she is to be this year's SDCC exclusive, it would just feel like a slap in the face, when they could have had her in this set. I'm not against the broken Explorer idea however, but truthfully I do think it would have been best for her to be included. It's what folks have been asking for on years end now as well (both kids with the Ford Explorer).

Edit: For anyone with access to Smyths, it appears it will become available in June, with pre-orders starting now:

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/jurassic-world/jurassic-world-legacy-collection-tyrannosaurus-rex-escape-pack/p/193265

Product description from their page:

Features

• Contents: Jurassic World Legacy Collection Tyrannosaurs Rex Escape Pack, with 1 Tyrannosaurus Rex dinosaur figure, 1 Tim Murphy figure, 1 Ford Explorer vehicle with a breakaway roof, and 1 pair of accessory goggles
  • Big-screen action comes alive with the Tyrannosaurus Rex Escape Pack
  • Inspired by the original Jurassic Park film!
  • Figures feature movable joints for pose and play action
  • The Explorer has rolling wheels and breakaway roof, so the set can make a dramatic display as well!
  • It's the perfect collectible gift for ages 8 years old and up
  • Tim Murphy action figure is 7.2 cm tall with goggles accessory
  • The T. rex figure is 19.8 cm tall and 49 cm long
  • The Ford Explorer vehicle is 10.1 cm tall and 26.7 cm long
Product Description

The Jurassic World Legacy Collection roars into action celebrating classic moments, themes and characters from the blockbuster film franchise! This movie moments playset is an exhilarating way to relive the pivotal scene from the original Jurassic Park film when young Tim Murphy, wearing night vision goggles, hides from the T. rex in a Ford Explorer and eventually escapes!
Replay all the action of the dinosaur attacking the truck, with a breakaway roof for realistic frightening moments! All elements feature authentic sculpting, colour and realistic texture for action-packed play! Colours and decorations may vary. For ages 8 years old and up.

Glad they added in a breakaway roof feature to it. That will be most fun to try out!

Carnoking

As per usual, those attack packs look much better than in their promo images, and I do love the packaging. Might be my favorite Herrerasaurus yet and favorite box art to boot.

Carnoking

I've already decided I'm going to be scaling back on Mattel items, but I think there's no skipping that rex and tim pack!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on April 13, 2021, 07:53:54 PM
Despite how excited I am for this set, the more I think about why Lex is missing (other then to keep the cost down, as was the case with the T. rex possibly re-using that EC sculpt), the more it frustrates me, and the more it reminds me of the issues the other human female characters have faced with this toyline since 2018. Such as Maisie, Claire, and Ellie all being shortpacked and very hard to find. Maybe Zia as well (although I anecdotally had more luck finding her figure many times). It's probably the same reason we never saw Claire on any of the packaging, despite her importance to the film's stories. It seems to be why Yaz is so far the only CC female character to have a figure coming out (based on listings put up early revealing the sets).

If she is to be this year's SDCC exclusive, it would just feel like a slap in the face, when they could have had her in this set. I'm not against the broken Explorer idea however, but truthfully I do think it would have been best for her to be included. It's what folks have been asking for on years end now as well (both kids with the Ford Explorer).

Edit: For anyone with access to Smyths, it appears it will become available in June, with pre-orders starting now:

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/jurassic-world/jurassic-world-legacy-collection-tyrannosaurus-rex-escape-pack/p/193265

Product description from their page:

Features

• Contents: Jurassic World Legacy Collection Tyrannosaurs Rex Escape Pack, with 1 Tyrannosaurus Rex dinosaur figure, 1 Tim Murphy figure, 1 Ford Explorer vehicle with a breakaway roof, and 1 pair of accessory goggles
  • Big-screen action comes alive with the Tyrannosaurus Rex Escape Pack
  • Inspired by the original Jurassic Park film!
  • Figures feature movable joints for pose and play action
  • The Explorer has rolling wheels and breakaway roof, so the set can make a dramatic display as well!
  • It's the perfect collectible gift for ages 8 years old and up
  • Tim Murphy action figure is 7.2 cm tall with goggles accessory
  • The T. rex figure is 19.8 cm tall and 49 cm long
  • The Ford Explorer vehicle is 10.1 cm tall and 26.7 cm long
Product Description

The Jurassic World Legacy Collection roars into action celebrating classic moments, themes and characters from the blockbuster film franchise! This movie moments playset is an exhilarating way to relive the pivotal scene from the original Jurassic Park film when young Tim Murphy, wearing night vision goggles, hides from the T. rex in a Ford Explorer and eventually escapes!
Replay all the action of the dinosaur attacking the truck, with a breakaway roof for realistic frightening moments! All elements feature authentic sculpting, colour and realistic texture for action-packed play! Colours and decorations may vary. For ages 8 years old and up.

Glad they added in a breakaway roof feature to it. That will be most fun to try out!

I feel you.  I have faith in Mattel, they have done a lot for us I can't see them skipping Lex. My guess is she is definitely coming in some form,  if it's SDCC then they will have one version at the con and another at retail like with Nedry.   It's also been guessed we will get Ray Arnold as an SDCC figure since they made him in the Amber Collection this year.   I have a feeling Mattel is going to really bring their A-game next year who knows what they pushed back and what will be filling what came out this year now. 

The female figures always get a rough go as this is viewed as a "boys" line.  Odd think is I have just as many girls here loving JP/JW and dinos in general. It's the parents and grandparents that always push stereotypes.   I think we are supposed to get Ellie as an Amber Collection figure. I'm still waiting on a Claire from the first film.  Kinda hoped Iron Studios would make her.

Reuben03

Quote from: suspsy on April 13, 2021, 06:43:59 PM
On the contrary, I resisted it very easily back in 1997 and nothing has changed since. I have never had any interest in vehicles or human figures. Indeed, on the rare occasions when I bought a two-pack in order to own the dinosaur, I got rid of the human.
wow nice! i respect that damn

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon You make some very good points. I guess we really just need to wait a bit more to see what they do. Other then some hiccups along the way, they have actually done a pretty good job listening to what fans want to see so far, so I guess even it she gets a SDCC figure, there could always be something that comes out next year, as has been done with Hammond and Nedry so far. Honestly Ray was my earlier guess, because of the Amber Collection figure, but I suppose it could be either way this year since both are still missing from the 3 and 3/4 line. Just a few months wait from now to see what happens anyways.

Honestly looking back to what I was feeling earlier, I think most of my frustration lies with that age old "boys" line thing. It probably isn't only a parent/grandparent/guardian issue, but likely those behind who comes up with how much of a product to produce and sell (using target groups perhaps, other then traditional sales, but probably also what retailers want to carry as well, as many still treat and sell/market dinosaur lines as for boys only, and we also know how retailers have hurt distribution overall the past few years). It ultimately all probably ended up a driving factor behind shortpacking the female characters, but was also probably the factor behind the excessive Owen figures as well, which ultimately didn't sell well at all, and shelf warmed into much of 2019, if not into 2020, before getting clearanced off, and that nearly cost the entire line from getting human figures in the future. It seems they are finally easing back into it with these dinosaur packs, and at the very least the dinosaurs portion will get them sold.

Also something I noticed with this set, but forgot to mention earlier, but as like the Apatosaurus, and some other things releasing this year, I'm guessing some of this stuff was probably due to release with Dominion, had it not been delayed another year. No reason to really hold this stuff back until then as it was probably ready to go, and as it doesn't tie into the movie anyways, probably helps keep the line going strong until then. Of course CC bringing some much needed content in the wait time probably helps out majorly as well.

ItsTwentyBelow

It looks like the Dracorex is in fact not a new sculpt, unless I'm mistaken?

Agreed all around that this packaging is eye-catching and cool!

Oh that T.rex and Explorer pack is so awesome, I think I'll have to make room. I just have the 2018 battle damage version of that T.rex, can anyone confirm if there have been updates to that sculpt since then?

Loon

I'm so excited for this set. An explorer and Tim?   Yes, please. Hopefully this means Lex comes soon as well.

The only problem is, oh god, I'm gonna need a new shelf.

Faelrin

avatar_Loon @Loon I feel you man. And I just got a whole bookcase too! Time for wall shelves next.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: