News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2022 Hopes and Dreams

Started by CarnotaurusKing, March 19, 2021, 06:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 06, 2021, 11:57:42 PM
I don't think Shanshan is a minifigure.
Shanshan is about 1:80 scale, so I'm pretty sure that counts as a minifigure. I'd be happy to get a larger Gigantoraptor figure as well.

Shonisaurus

I am hopeful that Safari will make a paraceratherium for various reasons, to enforce the demands of the many clients that we request a paraceratherium and also because they must compete with Collecta, because they can make a much bigger and more beautiful paraceratherium than Collecta's and even much more scientific, because it is still underrepresented in the collectibles market and in the major toy dinosaur companies and lastly because that prehistoric mammal is my favorite prehistoric mammal.

Sim

The PNSO bronze Gigantoraptor was originally going to be a plastic figure, so since they made it in bronze they must have thought it wouldn't sell as a plastic figure.  Therefore I get the feeling PNSO isn't going to make another Gigantoraptor.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 07, 2021, 09:09:13 AM
I am hopeful that Safari will make a paraceratherium for various reasons, to enforce the demands of the many clients that we request a paraceratherium and also because they must compete with Collecta, because they can make a much bigger and more beautiful paraceratherium than Collecta's and even much more scientific, because it is still underrepresented in the collectibles market and in the major toy dinosaur companies and lastly because that prehistoric mammal is my favorite prehistoric mammal.

With the Itoy and 2022 CollectA Paraceratherium I think demand for a new Paraceratherium is low now.  Additionally, a "much bigger", "more beautiful", and "much more scientific" Paraceratherium already exists - it's the Itoy one.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Fembrogon on November 07, 2021, 12:09:41 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 06, 2021, 11:57:42 PM
I don't think Shanshan is a minifigure.
Shanshan is about 1:80 scale, so I'm pretty sure that counts as a minifigure. I'd be happy to get a larger Gigantoraptor figure as well.
Its way bigger than all of the other minis though
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Pachyrhinosaurus

I remember Paraceratherium was mentioned in the 2005 catalogue book as a side note with the other prehistoric mammals. I'd prefer hyracodon, but I could see Safari making a paraceratherium given that its one of the more popular prehistoric mammals that they haven't made yet.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Sim

I wish Safari would release one or more pterosaurs each year.  Pterosaur diversity is not well represented in figures while there are numerous interesting species.  Safari only has two good pterosaur figures currently, Pteranodon and Quetzalcoatlus.  More good pterosaurs by Safari are very much needed.  A new Rhamphorhynchus from Safari is what I'd most like, but I think a pterosaur toob could be great as well.

It feels like while Safari has been making great feathered dinosaurs, CollectA has been making good pterosaurs.  It would be good if they swapped this around now, both companies are lacking in what they haven't been making.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I fully agree. It definitely does seem to be that way, rather strangely. I do find it rather strange CollectA hasn't attempted an updated dromaeosaurid aside from the Microraptor, and several of Safari's pterosaurs could certainly use some updates now. I would certainly be interested in a figure on that newly described Tupandactlyus species, or the one you mentioned, for example, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I forgot about Safari's unnamed pterosaur figure, I think that one is good too.  But it's still too few in the Wild Safari line.  Safari particularly needs a good long-tailed pterosaur.  While I'm talking about Safari, I found their lineup this year quite weak.  I hope their 2022 lineup is better!

Sim

I was re-reading this thread and I noticed I missed something, so I'm commenting on it here rather than editing my previous post as doing the latter might lead to some people missing the new comment.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on October 15, 2021, 05:23:43 AM
Pterosaurs Toob - basically "toobify" all their existing pterosaurs, with a few extras to round it out
"Toobified" remakes
Rhamphorhynchus
Dimorphodon
Tapajara
Ornithocheirid (either a Toob version of whatever their "Pterosaur" model is, or a more well known taxa)
Standing and Flying variants of Pteranodon (possibly with the flying variant relabeled as "Geosternbergia", depending on current consensus)
Unique sculpts
Standing azhdarchid (would probably fit the dimensions of a Toob better than a miniaturized version of their flying Quetzalcoatlus)
Nyctosaurus
Pterodaustro
Anurognathus (or any relative)

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), out of Safari's pterosaurs only their unnamed pterosaur, Pteranodon longiceps and Quetzalcoatlus would work well shrunk down.  Although I would prefer a named genus rather than the unnamed pterosaur.  Safari's Rhamphorhynchus, Dimorphodon, Tapejara and Pteranodon sternbergi all have major inaccuracies and I don't want mini figures that repeat those inaccuracies.  Out of the species you mentioned, I'd love an accurate mini Rhamphorhynchus!

Dinoxels

Does anyone have a clue why we have yet to get reveals? My gut tells me it's the current shipping crisis, but I'm curious if anyone else has any guesses.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Halichoeres

Safari hasn't specified, so we can only speculate, but they HAVE urged customers to place Christmas orders early because of supply issues, so that seems a likely culprit.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 13, 2021, 02:11:57 PM
Safari hasn't specified, so we can only speculate, but they HAVE urged customers to place Christmas orders early because of supply issues, so that seems a likely culprit.
I don't see how issues with existing figures would stop them from posting images of new figures online
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

In previous years we used to often get reveals of the products before they came in stock, but most of the time there was also an eta on when they would come in stock. With the shipping crisis it is hard to have any eta now with shipping.

Could it also be that things are still in production and not finalized yet?

I just wish there was less radio silence on this and some more transparency.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoxels

Quote from: Faelrin on November 13, 2021, 03:34:43 PM
I just wish there was less radio silence on this and some more transparency.
I agree, it's a little weird. When they do give information sometimes its actually disinformation, its weird.
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 13, 2021, 03:11:19 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 13, 2021, 02:11:57 PM
I don't see how issues with existing figures would stop them from posting images of new figures online
You are missing the point entirely. Prototypes, production samples, and all these things need to be shipped places for a batch of figures to be made.

Halichoeres

Yeah, exactly. I imagine each prototype entails a minimum of three Pacific crossings.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 13, 2021, 04:53:17 PM
Yeah, exactly. I imagine each prototype entails a minimum of three Pacific crossings.
And one crossing of the Pacific is hard enough already...

suspsy

Safari is under no obligation whatsoever to keep us in the loop, of course, but I still wish they would be more forthcoming about next year. Although perhaps they're not certain themselves about when their merchandise will be ready to reveal.

If their 2022 assortment again turns out to be only three or four toys, I'll be fine with that.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 13, 2021, 11:29:06 AM
Does anyone have a clue why we have yet to get reveals? My gut tells me it's the current shipping crisis, but I'm curious if anyone else has any guesses.

Perhaps it's taking time to paint all the mini pterosaurs for a pterosaur toob.  ...  I wish that were the reason!

Halichoeres

Perhaps it's taking time to paint all the mini pterosaurs for a pterosaur toob.  ...  I wish that were the reason!

I believe you misspelled "Age of Fishes."

But seriously I would love a pterosaur Toob. No doubt some would be the usual tired suspects, but maybe a few could replace some of my collection's ugliest pterosaurs, such as:
Campylognathoides
Caulkicephalus
Cearadactylus
Dorygnathus
Germanodactylus
Jeholopterus
Peteinosaurus
Pterodactylus
Scaphognathus

Sim

That's a nice list of what could be made, Tim!  I would be very happy if Safari made toob figures of Campylognathoides, Cearadactylus, Dorygnathus and Scaphognathus!  But most of all, and you probably know what I'm going to say, I would like a nice accurate Rhamphorhynchus from Safari.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: