News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO 2022 hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, December 10, 2021, 07:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

If they release any 'raptor' and don't give it lips, I won't even know what to say.
An oversized house cat.

Joel1905

Quote from: Lynx on September 12, 2022, 01:55:42 PMIf they release any 'raptor' and don't give it lips, I won't even know what to say.

People are still getting like this over the lips vs lipless debate?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing is definitive either way, and both options have sound scientific reasoning. We've used bracketing to infer traits with less evidence.

Lynx

No, I really don't care if most stuff has lips or not, but it just generally makes no sense for a 'raptor' to have its teeth out. It's so off-putting to me. Have you ever seen one with its chompers outside? Like I don't care if it's partially-lipped or not but please. Even one with its mouth forced open, I don't care. Just please don't make a completely non-lipped 'raptor'. I will still buy it, of course, but I will still be very surprised if they have the teeth out. Their Microraptor has it's teeth out and isn't that bad so who knows.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

This is an odd request, but I would love a Dakotaraptor from them. We have no decent ones widely available, and while it's a bit of a controversial dinosaur, they've done them in the past. The main dinosaurs of Hell Creek would be near done in their line!
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

Quote from: Lynx on September 16, 2022, 01:41:02 PMThis is an odd request, but I would love a Dakotaraptor from them. We have no decent ones widely available, and while it's a bit of a controversial dinosaur, they've done them in the past. The main dinosaurs of Hell Creek would be near done in their line!

Well, we don't have a clear idea of what Dakotaraptor looked like, as you can see:

So yeah, I get what you mean by controversial, though it's also true that if they do release one it will be way less controversial (if any?) than the "Nanotyrannus" or the spinosaurid they're calling Sinopliosaurus. If they are interested in making more dromaeosaurids (which, by the way, doesn't look to be the case, at least for now, since the only genus they've bothered releasing is Microraptor) then there are much better options: Zhenyuanlong, Halszkaraptor, Austroraptor, Buitreraptor, Sinornithosaurus...

Quote from: Carnoking on September 16, 2022, 01:45:22 PMIt will just be serving as my stand-in Suchomimus for the time being seeing as I don't actually have a model of that particular genus in my collection. Even if this figure isn't a perfect representation of Suchomimus, I would certainly take a somewhat inaccurate Suchomimus over an entirely speculative reconstruction of an animal known only from teeth (and yes, that applies to Siamosaurus as well).

Well, there's the Safari Suchomimus from 2014. To be honest, that figure's a better fit for those people who are indeed searching for a Suchomimus than this one is (not shocking, right?). But it's an older figure and I totally see why people (heck, me included, Suchomimus is personally one of my favorite dinosaurs and it's not like it's a fragmentary taxon like basically all the spinosaurids sans the closely related Baryonyx) are interested in a new, more accurate figure. But that's also the reason why I'm not getting this PNSO figure. We were teased we were getting a Suchomimus and yeah, we don't know yet if we are indeed going to get one or not from them, but after seeing this, maybe we don't even get one because this might have been what the rumours were talking about. We were teased a Lingwulong and we got one, and that's great! Tbh I hadn't even heard of it prior to these news, but after doing some research, I totally understand why it's a relevant species and why they decided to make one. We were also teased some species a lot of people were particularly excited to see, like Acrocanthosaurus and Centrosaurus, and previously (remember those "Spring Festival" posters?) Yutyrannus, Torvosaurus and Helicoprion. And we got all of those. But this time it looks like (emphasis on that) the rumoured Suchomimus is a representation of a generic spinosaurid that shouldn't even be one because it was a plesiosaur of some sort, so it feels like a prank to all of us who were anticipating a Suchomimus. And I wouldn't be bothered by anything of this if Sinopliosaurus was indeed a spinosaurid and it had good remains. Because I'm assuming the only possible reason behind them releasing one is for the mere reason because the remains were found in China and in order to please local people (which ironically, had the contrary effect in this case, as avatar_Faras @Faras mentioned the reactions to the species announcement was not possitive). And no, I'm not meaning that they shouldn't release local species or that they shouldn't try to please local fans, actually, China has offered some of the most incredible and fascinating fossils ever discovered and is, hands down, one of the biggest contributors to paleontology as we know today. In that case, releasing figures of relevant Chinese discoveries with good fossil remains (like the previously mentioned Zhenyuanlong and Sinornithosaurus, Psittacosaurus, Dilong... and the now released Yutyrannus, Lingwulong, Sinraptor, Mamenchisaurus, Atopodentatus, Microraptor and Tuojiangosaurus) is a good idea to get to present those species to the public, and certainly much more valuable than offering (great-looking, nobody is denying this) figures of creatures that are so unknown (due to the scarcity of their remains) that they end up being the generic member #16 of whatever clade they've been assigned to in a phylogenetic analysis (Zhuchengtyrannus took the cake when it comes to this, and no, I can't say the same for Sinopliosaurus as it doesn't even belong to the family PNSO is intending to represent, but Siamosaurus is even worse than Zhuchentyrannus is, if that wasn't enough).

Faelrin

I've been wanting to see them do a Zhenyuanlong for a while now, even if it were a mini figure (shame they haven't done any new ones for quite some time now).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Joel1905

Quote from: Concavenator on September 16, 2022, 11:30:11 PM
Quote from: Lynx on September 16, 2022, 01:41:02 PMThis is an odd request, but I would love a Dakotaraptor from them. We have no decent ones widely available, and while it's a bit of a controversial dinosaur, they've done them in the past. The main dinosaurs of Hell Creek would be near done in their line!

Well, we don't have a clear idea of what Dakotaraptor looked like, as you can see:

So yeah, I get what you mean by controversial, though it's also true that if they do release one it will be way less controversial (if any?) than the "Nanotyrannus" or the spinosaurid they're calling Sinopliosaurus. If they are interested in making more dromaeosaurids (which, by the way, doesn't look to be the case, at least for now, since the only genus they've bothered releasing is Microraptor) then there are much better options: Zhenyuanlong, Halszkaraptor, Austroraptor, Buitreraptor, Sinornithosaurus...

Quote from: Carnoking on September 16, 2022, 01:45:22 PMIt will just be serving as my stand-in Suchomimus for the time being seeing as I don't actually have a model of that particular genus in my collection. Even if this figure isn't a perfect representation of Suchomimus, I would certainly take a somewhat inaccurate Suchomimus over an entirely speculative reconstruction of an animal known only from teeth (and yes, that applies to Siamosaurus as well).

Well, there's the Safari Suchomimus from 2014. To be honest, that figure's a better fit for those people who are indeed searching for a Suchomimus than this one is (not shocking, right?). But it's an older figure and I totally see why people (heck, me included, Suchomimus is personally one of my favorite dinosaurs and it's not like it's a fragmentary taxon like basically all the spinosaurids sans the closely related Baryonyx) are interested in a new, more accurate figure. But that's also the reason why I'm not getting this PNSO figure. We were teased we were getting a Suchomimus and yeah, we don't know yet if we are indeed going to get one or not from them, but after seeing this, maybe we don't even get one because this might have been what the rumours were talking about. We were teased a Lingwulong and we got one, and that's great! Tbh I hadn't even heard of it prior to these news, but after doing some research, I totally understand why it's a relevant species and why they decided to make one. We were also teased some species a lot of people were particularly excited to see, like Acrocanthosaurus and Centrosaurus, and previously (remember those "Spring Festival" posters?) Yutyrannus, Torvosaurus and Helicoprion. And we got all of those. But this time it looks like (emphasis on that) the rumoured Suchomimus is a representation of a generic spinosaurid that shouldn't even be one because it was a plesiosaur of some sort, so it feels like a prank to all of us who were anticipating a Suchomimus. And I wouldn't be bothered by anything of this if Sinopliosaurus was indeed a spinosaurid and it had good remains. Because I'm assuming the only possible reason behind them releasing one is for the mere reason because the remains were found in China and in order to please local people (which ironically, had the contrary effect in this case, as avatar_Faras @Faras mentioned the reactions to the species announcement was not possitive). And no, I'm not meaning that they shouldn't release local species or that they shouldn't try to please local fans, actually, China has offered some of the most incredible and fascinating fossils ever discovered and is, hands down, one of the biggest contributors to paleontology as we know today. In that case, releasing figures of relevant Chinese discoveries with good fossil remains (like the previously mentioned Zhenyuanlong and Sinornithosaurus, Psittacosaurus, Dilong... and the now released Yutyrannus, Lingwulong, Sinraptor, Mamenchisaurus, Atopodentatus, Microraptor and Tuojiangosaurus) is a good idea to get to present those species to the public, and certainly much more valuable than offering (great-looking, nobody is denying this) figures of creatures that are so unknown (due to the scarcity of their remains) that they end up being the generic member #16 of whatever clade they've been assigned to in a phylogenetic analysis (Zhuchengtyrannus took the cake when it comes to this, and no, I can't say the same for Sinopliosaurus as it doesn't even belong to the family PNSO is intending to represent, but Siamosaurus is even worse than Zhuchentyrannus is, if that wasn't enough).

Well said. There are indeed plenty of other Chinese Dinosaurs that I'd love to see them release! Lufengosaurus, Sinosaurus, Shunosaurus, an updated Yangchuanosaurus, Dongbeititan, Shantungosaurus.

I really wonder what their next figure will be...

suspsy

Muttaburrasaurus would be a prime candidate for PNSO. It's known from good remains (far better than Zhuchengtyrannus or "Sinopliosaurus") and it currently has very few toys to its name.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Apparently I'm fixated on Plateosaurus, with the excuse that a cereal box version of this dino was my very first acquisition back in the day. Remember being entranced by it. So, I'd sure like PNSO to do one - bet they'd do a terrific job with it.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SidB on September 17, 2022, 01:10:33 PMApparently I'm fixated on Plateosaurus, with the excuse that a cereal box version of this dino was my very first acquisition back in the day. Remember being entranced by it. So, I'd sure like PNSO to do one - bet they'd do a terrific job with it.

I think that now they could do better than their 2016 Lufengosaurus. Plateosaurus or anything in that neighborhood of the sauropodomorph tree would be fine with me.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lynx

We should be having a PNSO release sometime soon. I really hope it is not a Suchomimus as some have rumored, we just got another "spinosaurid" and a sucho wouldn't be anything special.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

A Diplodocus had been in the rumor mill, so I guess that it's a possibility, though, myself, I'm not too excited about that as I've already acquired Eofauna's terrific one to add to my dippy herd and another one would not really be needed. Also, I have a suspicion that it might be a 1/45 like the Mamenschisaurus because of its length.

Lynx

An apatosaurus would be nice to be honest.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on September 19, 2022, 01:46:10 PMAn apatosaurus would be nice to be honest.
Absolutely. I've got the old Papo on display with my PNSO's, and while its pretty good, it would be great to have an updated one that's also full-sized. I would have thought that to be unlikely, but with the release of the Lingwulong, PNSO seems to be back in the game with big sauropods.

Bread

Meanwhile I keep checking in on this thread to see if PNSO actually revealed something, and then it is consistent "Hopes and Dream 2022 Pt. 2" thread...

Edit: I'm not trying to be rude, but come on, even staff have warned about this and it nevertheless continues...

Lynx

Quote from: Bread on September 19, 2022, 03:26:04 PMMeanwhile I keep checking in on this thread to see if PNSO actually revealed something, and then it is consistent "Hopes and Dream 2022 Pt. 2" thread...

Edit: I'm not trying to be rude, but come on, even staff have warned about this and it nevertheless continues...

Sorry bout that, it has become a bit of a habit of mine. I'll refrain from it further.
An oversized house cat.

DinoToyForum

C:-) Yeah, I just had to split the off-topic discussion again and merge it with the correct thread.

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

Bread

Not a problem avatar_Lynx @Lynx
I've probably done the same in the past. But lately PNSO's schedule has been spaced out so whenever I see the PNSO 2022 thread at the top, I assume it's a new reveal.

I am just hyped for a new PNSO reveal.

Anyways, I guess I already have a post starting out on this thread, might as well share my hopes and dreams.

-Edmontosaurus (any of the two species)
-Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus
-Ceratosaurus

Yeah, just common genuses, honestly after the "Suchomimus" figure, I'd rather PNSO produce a well-known genus.

Edit: The "Suchomimus" is actually a good, eye catching figure, but is just not a great choice of a genus selection. Sinopo-?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: