News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Except Witton isn't seriously advocating for a featherless Deinocheirus; he's simply floating the possibility. He floats a lot of paleontological possibilities on his blog, but he's always been pretty open-minded that way. And as I noted before, featherless restorations like that one are the minority.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Maybe it depends on how one interprets it.  The way I understand it is that Mark Witton is publicly recommending a bare Deinocheirus, as under his restoration of it he says, "After researching this article, images like this read as more plausible to me than the general 'walking haystack' guise Deinocheirus has attained in palaeoart."  He also says, "We need to be careful that we don't let tradition and expectation blind us to what might be a more tenable hypothesis of life appearance."  And I think this might be relevant to Therizinosaurus and Deinocheirus, for example, as I haven't seen any scientific argument for them having extensive feathering except for one I made some time ago which I'm open to thinking might have been incorrect.

suspsy

Again, he's neither formally advocating his idea nor discounting the possibility that he could be incorrect. It's just a blog post, nothing more. And really, there's not much point in discussing it further right now, as we have absolutely no idea what David's plans are for the Desert Clan. For that matter, sadly, we have absolutely no idea if there will even end up being a Desert Clan. The Kickstarters have worked successfully so far, but there is still the possibility that Cyberzoic might end up being just too big to properly take flight. I truly hope I am wrong on that one.

On a more positive note, David should hopefully have the finished Allosaurus artwork up sometime this week.

Carnoking

This strikes me as a project that would take several years to reach its full potential if the story and various concept designs are any indication. Although I am a little lost on what all is planned at this point and what all is speculation/hopes and dreams, it still seems safe to say that the sheer scope of this line is daunting to say the least. I mean we already have, what, 14 dinosaurs from the initial list plus however many dragons and sets of transforming armor-vehicles/riders? That alone seems a sizable undertaking to get off the ground, let alone all these ideas I see floating around. Whether or not throwing dragons and all these other add-ons into the mix will bolster the campaign's success to or above the heights of the Tyrannosaur's fundraising remains to be seen, but it seems reasonable to suspect that even a highly successful kickstarter would only launch a promising "first wave". David could then use the profits on developing the line over the years with new additions instead of (or perhaps in addition to) creating new lines or fleshing out old ones. We already know he'll be double dipping, using molds from the BotM series for characters in Cyberzoic and vis versa, so hopefully that saves him some costs and adds to his sales in a way that will let this line grow naturally.

suspsy

Yes, we should probably consider ourselves extremely fortunate if we get Tech and Fire Clan figures before 2025.

Concavenator

David said on Instagram the finished Allosaurus concept will be ready for next week.

Faelrin

Ooh can't wait to see the colors for one of my favorite theropods.

Also tbh I wouldn't mind a featherless or feathered Deinocheirus. I love that goofy looking giant ornithomimosaur either way. And it would be great to have alongside the Tarbosaurus as well.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Both the Utahraptor and Achillobator seem to be slated for release next year. So at the very least those hopefully those will be made. I've at least been wanting a figure of Utahraptor for so long now, and unless Safari Ltd or another company has a surprise up their sleeve next year, I suspect his will be the first out there.

However I also agree this project does seem really ambitious, but I think he can see it get somewhere. He's a renowned sculptor in the action figure community, for his previous works from McFarlane, Hasbro, Neca, aside from BotM, and his previous model kits of course. Dragons have always been popular so I can see those selling, even if they are not your traditional fantasy types. I hope to get my hands on the Arctic one at least, if/when that one releases (also seems to be late next year), but I'm also eagerly looking forward to what else he does. Of course I'll still be prioritizing the dinosaurs (and any other prehistoric animals) though. The transforming armors may have their fans out there. Heck even I dig the designs for them, but not sure I'll be able to afford them alongside the fauna I'm prioritizing, especially with all the other brands I juggle around as well. Will have to wait and see of course.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

There's already at least 14 Utahraptor toys that have been released over the years, although none of them are worth writing home about. But Cyberzoic's Achillobator will likely be the first of its kind.

Sim

I think what avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin meant is that the Cyberzoic/BotM Utahraptor will be the first figure(s) of it based on the updated Utahraptor reconstruction.  I'm very much looking forward to the BotM Utahraptor!  I think Battat's MOS Utahraptor was very good for its time, it's relatively robust, well-sculpted and its claws are handled very realistically.

Faelrin

Yes avatar_Sim @Sim that's exactly what I meant. The first up to date accurate one, with updated proportions and fully feathered.

Eocarcharia

Big one today bois

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioWe have another exciting reveal today. Here is the very first look at the mysterious Desert Clan! Shown here are the Daspletosaurus with Deinonychus scouts and a couple of Nasutoceratops (image 2).

'The enigmatic Desert Clan resides among the arid badlands of Gaea 2, a land scorched by extreme heat and sunlight. Historians of 'Old Earth', the Desert Clan's technology is just as non-linear and pragmatic as their culture. With mostly analog machinery, they are an anomaly to the other clans, and their ability to harness solar power has made them invaluable as the top energy brokers on the planet, affording them a neutral status. Their real enemies are the surface dwelling vagrants and outlaws who look to invade and steal from their underground cities, so regular surface patrols are required to keep these lawless instigators at bay. While not an ally of the Technologist clan, they are in cooperation with them for power and financial gain and are responsible for a new revolutionary technology that could give the Tech Clan the advantage they need to finally take control of the entire planet. '

Concept art by Raph Lomotan.

Deinonychus HYPE

Sim

Yes! I'm so happy Deinonychus is confirmed!  The first series of Cyberzoic being successful has now become even more important!  I already wish for it because of the many dinosaurs I plan to get from the series, but now it will also allow us to get to Deinonychus!

suspsy

Added the three Desert Clan dinosaurs to the list. Keen to see which other ones will be joining them. Still hoping for Deinocheirus, which would indeed be a good opponent for the BotM Tarbosaurus.

The armour designs look really cool.

Faelrin

Anyone else reminded of the kickstarter exclusive blue Velociraptor repaint with the coloration of the Deinonychus? Looks very regal. Definitely curious about the inspiration behind that choice. Glad to see Daspletosaurus and Nasutoceratops here as well. I hope Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus shows up somewhere as well.

Definitely digging the aesthetics of the Desert Clan stuff too, especially the armor on the Deinonychus, and the massive structure in the second art piece. Giving me Metroid Prime vibes almost.

Sim

I'm happy to see the Daspletosaurus too, it has become my favourite tyrannosauroid genus.  I'm planning to get the BotM Daspletosaurus which I like a lot.  I don't see that changing even if I like the Cyberzoic Daspletosaurus.  So, similar to what David is doing with Allosaurus, I hope the Cyberzoic Daspletosaurus is D. horneri so that I can get both species of Daspletosaurus.  I would love that!

I'm impressed by how David is making the various clans differ.  The Desert clan is looking to be my favourite clan, I like the way they've built up the natural area they dwell in.  But the Tech and Fire clans also have things I like about them.

suspsy

I also hope we get Ankylosaurus in the Desert Clan.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on August 12, 2022, 08:05:19 PMI'm happy to see the Daspletosaurus too, it has become my favourite tyrannosauroid genus.  I'm planning to get the BotM Daspletosaurus which I like a lot.  I don't see that changing even if I like the Cyberzoic Daspletosaurus.  So, similar to what David is doing with Allosaurus, I hope the Cyberzoic Daspletosaurus is D. horneri so that I can get both species of Daspletosaurus.  I would love that!

I was surprised to hear that David was doing multiple species of Allosaurus, since they would require their own headsculpts instead of just a simple repaint. So a D. horneri would also need it's own unique head to be a proper representation of the species.

Sim

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, yes D. horneri would need a new head but the rest of the animal can be shared with the existing D. torosus.  I found this infographic:

(Image source)

EmperorDinobot

There is something very retro about their aesthetic. Also, if sunlight is free, how do you sell it? I need to read more of the lore.

stargatedalek

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 13, 2022, 08:45:44 PMThere is something very retro about their aesthetic. Also, if sunlight is free, how do you sell it? I need to read more of the lore.

Sunlight may be free, but solar panels and batteries are not.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: