News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

I keep seeing that Rebor's Kiss the Tyrannosaurus and I just want mine so bad!!!

PrimevalRaptor

Picked up the Mattel Liopleurodon (and, tangentially related to dinosaurs a bird guide by John Gould for five bucks, what a steal) today, really fun figure. For accuracy I luckily have the Safari one (and one day hopefully the Toyway, my holy grail lmao) but ever since WWD I've been a fan of this pliosaur down to the point that kid me got SUPER excited after finding the Dino Valley one on a vacation in Spain...luckily nowadays we have easier to get and better options.
Tbh it gives me very minor Primeval vibes, maybe that's why I like it so much. Also scales kinda neat with their Plesiosaurus.

Ikessauro

Got myself a little haul today. Bullyland Brachiosaurus, CollectA Deluxe Hylaeosaurus and first Deluxe Triceratops, a few Hasbro JP dinos, a Disney's Carnotaurus by Mattel and of course, another Safari Ltd Rattlesnake which surprisingly has a different paint job than the last one I got, despite it representing the same species, the Diamondback Rattlesnake.

Faelrin

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro Congrats on your haul. I had all those particular JPIII toys as a kid. Always wanted the big Disney Carnotaurus for Mattel but never got it, although I can see the one you have is the smaller one (which I didn't know about back then). I did have a few of their Iguanodon figures though (Aladar and Kron). Come to think of it, those old Iguanodon figures certainly hold up much better then their newer JW one does.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

Lots of nice acquisitions, as usual - plenty of exciting new and old dinos to go around!

I'm doing some catch-up on older releases, myself. I placed a substantial order with PNSO's AliExpress store during the sale this week, and it started shipping - in separate packets. Okay then. I surprised to see the first packet arrive already this afternoon.

To think Duke the Spinops and the Prehistoric Animal sub-line is three years old now; I can't tell if that's longer or shorter than it feels like!

EmperorDinobot

I still need to open up a PNSO shelf. Sometimes I just want to box up my Schleich and use that area for PNSO figures, but most of my Schleich figures have been gifts, and they each have a story to tell, so it is a question of sentimental value vs dinosaurs that are actually good looking.

But now, a story about dinosaurs that are not so good looking. And honestly, I do not know why I keep bringing these things in...

I have acquired a lot of dinosaurs (and other toys) since my last posting, but I will share some of them, bit by bit instead.

The Scorpios rex is a rather fun toy, actually. I have not seen a single episode of Camp Cretaceous, and do not know if these are in scale or not. Grant, Dimetrodon and Baryonyx came in as gifts in a lot, and the shampoo bottle...er...basic Pacho has cracks all over the tail. The basics are rather expensive in real life and in the secondary market, even though they are...well...not gonna use that word.

Anyways, I was going to sell one of my two Scorpios rex figures when I noticed that they were not alike. Behold:

I'm not sure if this is some kind of running change, but they are differently colored, and even their eyes are different. Any information on the issue would be appreciated.

My pre-Dominion Mattel JW collection is nearing its completion. There's like 13-15 dinosaurs I have yet to acquire as of this posting, not counting Amber Collection (Blue, Delta I think and Dilophosaurus are missing), or Shampoo Bottles.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 27, 2022, 04:58:26 PMSometimes I just want to box up my Schleich and use that area for PNSO figures, but most of my Schleich figures have been gifts, and they each have a story to tell, so it is a question of sentimental value vs dinosaurs that are actually good looking.
I 100% get you on this. I don't wanna get rid of them but they just take up space I wanna use for better figures. I've removed all but 3-4 Schleich figures over time now and those are the ones that will probably stay up (for now at least)...

Fembrogon

Round 2 arrived today: a double-whammy from AliExpress and Safari ltd!

My PNSO collection has now increased substantially in numbers. I really like most of the minifigures, although some of them seem awfully small for their box, and a few appear to be suffering next-run paint quality issues. The Majungasaurus is already having standing issues right out of the package.
The standard Sauropelta is lovely, no complaints there. The Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkinkosaurus set is also very nice, and has been on my want list for a while now - but for $50+ MSRP one would think the set could align the feet to the base better and provide a stable jaw hinge. Oh, well.
...And I'm still waiting for one item from their shop...

These are all neat. The salmon shark and the Albertosaurus are definite favorites; Zuul comes in a very close second only because of the quirks in the paint apps which have been getting addressed. The crestie and S. American toob are treats as well, and I added in some more theropods to fill out the order.

EmperorDinobot

What is that orange creature on the right avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon ? I cannot see so good today.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Bread on August 26, 2022, 01:38:01 PMI keep seeing that Rebor's Kiss the Tyrannosaurus and I just want mine so bad!!!

I keep seeing it and thinking "ugh I need one even though I'm trying to save up and haven't gone in on any rebor products so far."

Fembrogon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 29, 2022, 12:02:37 PMWhat is that orange creature on the right avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon ? I cannot see so good today.
If you're referring to the bottom photo of Safari goods, then it is indeed the new Incredible Creatures Crested Gecko which avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow linked to. It's a cute little fellow - not as cute as the real thing, of course, but a very good likeness.

EmperorDinobot

It's quite nice. The gecko. Looks very realistic, too!

I miss the days where you could go to an educational toy store and find all these animals on the display. I was there for the dinosaurs, of course, but there was something about seeing them in person that filled me with joy and happiness.

Buying them on the internet does not do that for me, and it may be a reason why I still collect Jurassic figures. I went to Target on Friday and I held the Chap Mei...I mean Mattel Ampelosaurus with my own two hands. I knew I was not there for it, and left it on the shelf, but I did say "next time old girl". Can't do that with Safari models or others anymore. I think the last time I did that was at an independent educational (and gaming) toy store in La Grande, North Eastern Oregon, and I was able to come home with several new Safari figures. That was 2014 I think.

need4swede

Wow that's an awesome haul! Appreciate that you took the time to set everything up for the shot - I know that stuff can sometimes take time. Looks great!

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot

While not related to toy figures, a similar thing has happened to me and video games. When I was young, part of the experience was gathering around with friends waiting for a midnight release. Shops would set up TV's outside, we would all bring food and comforts from home, celebrating a medium we loved and could enjoy together. Then the drive / walk home, holding onto your copy of something you've waited so long for, sometimes unable to even play it because you get home so late and you have to go to work / class the next day. And that was ok - for the journey meant so much more than the destination, so to speak.

I think this sort of thing is a fading experience today. With online shopping, we sometimes sacrifice certain sensations and experiences for the sake of convenience, and I'm not convinced that it's a trade worth making - perhaps not always.
But that's enough ranting from me - I completely get where you're coming from, though.
- Swede

Dusty Wren

Quote from: need4swede on August 30, 2022, 07:16:32 AMWhile not related to toy figures, a similar thing has happened to me and video games. When I was young, part of the experience was gathering around with friends waiting for a midnight release. Shops would set up TV's outside, we would all bring food and comforts from home, celebrating a medium we loved and could enjoy together. Then the drive / walk home, holding onto your copy of something you've waited so long for, sometimes unable to even play it because you get home so late and you have to go to work / class the next day. And that was ok - for the journey meant so much more than the destination, so to speak.

Aw, man, this brings back some memories. I didn't go to a ton of midnight releases, but the few I did were fun experiences. I miss doing stuff like that.

Got in a lovely trio of Kaiyodo prehistoric mammals yesterday. Thanks goes to avatar_brettnj @brettnj, as always, for making this possible.

Photos don't really do them justice. I'm always blown away by how much detail Kaiyodo can pack into these tiny gashapon figures. And I am overjoyed to finally have a Thylacosmilus.
Check out my customs thread!

Dilopho

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 29, 2022, 09:01:16 PMIt's quite nice. The gecko. Looks very realistic, too!

I miss the days where you could go to an educational toy store and find all these animals on the display. I was there for the dinosaurs, of course, but there was something about seeing them in person that filled me with joy and happiness.

Buying them on the internet does not do that for me, and it may be a reason why I still collect Jurassic figures. I went to Target on Friday and I held the Chap Mei...I mean Mattel Ampelosaurus with my own two hands. I knew I was not there for it, and left it on the shelf, but I did say "next time old girl". Can't do that with Safari models or others anymore. I think the last time I did that was at an independent educational (and gaming) toy store in La Grande, North Eastern Oregon, and I was able to come home with several new Safari figures. That was 2014 I think.
This may sound surprising but a good place to source the more realistic figures are places like garden centers with cafes and such, at least in my experience.

EmperorDinobot

avatar_need4swede @need4swede yeah, and going to the premieres was fun, especially if you lived in a small town.

avatar_Dilopho @Dilopho no such places exist here.

More toys for me! I now have every Monolophosaurus variant.
It took me ages to track down that particular Triceratops down for some reason.
I also got a bunch of droids. Two pit droids, a treadwell droid, an Imperial Probe Droid, and some buzz droids.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations to all the new buyers. On the other hand, I have acquired new figures of Collecta, paraceratherium, pteranodon, edmontosaurus and spinosaurus swimming. I hope to continue with the purchase in the coming months, for now I plan to be prudent financially.

I pass a photo

More information in the Shonisaurus collection link.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6778.280

Libraraptor

I managed to get my hand on Toyway WWD Liopleurodon of which a piece of one of its back flippers broke off. I am fine with that. I´ll post pictures of it as soon as it will have arrived. With it comes the Polacanthus. Plus I ordered a copy of "Dinosaurs Are Collectible", a coffeetable book dealing with this very topic.  I´ll tell you more about it in my books thread.

JohannesB

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 29, 2022, 09:01:16 PMI miss the days where you could go to an educational toy store and find all these animals on the display. I was there for the dinosaurs, of course, but there was something about seeing them in person that filled me with joy and happiness. 

I know exactly what you mean. I have some rather vivid memories (and strong associated feelings, I guess) of being able to see the Invicta dinosaur toy models for sale at museums and zoo's. It is there that I acquired most of them. I miss the sensation of seeing beautiful toy models in (museum) shops and being able to grab them and take them home with me. (It goes even so far as me having sometimes dreams about it. Yeah, it is weird.. :P)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: