News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

It's possible they're going to keep the Carno just a little on the small side of its plausible size range to maximize its potential for reuse for other abelisaurs, most of which were a bit smaller.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

I'm actually glad the Carnotaurus will be smaller than expected. I don't care that much about scale consistency, BotM figures are quite expensive to get here in Spain, and the bigger the figures are, the more expensive they're going to be. Not to mention bigger figures also take more room. So it being smaller makes me more likely to get it (this is why I'm always asking for more 1:35 figures from them).

That said though, I agree it wouldn't be the best move to have the Carnotaurus and the Ceratosaurus share the same exact body. If they're going to be the same size at least hopefully they'll each get their own unique body.

suspsy

I've added images of the Deinonychus to the OP!

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

David knows how to make me a very happy man. Absolutely stoked to see it get more concept art. What's intriguing is that he confirmed it will have 2 colorways in Cyberzoic with an additional BotM version. I'm already quite taken with that regal blue color that was in prior concept art. It reminds me of my kickstarter exclusive Velociraptor.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

Deinonychus seems a bit on the big side to me, if that illustration is indicative of it's scale size.  It's almost the size of a Jurassic Park raptor.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 14, 2023, 04:21:22 AMDeinonychus seems a bit on the big side to me, if that illustration is indicative of it's scale size.  It's almost the size of a Jurassic Park raptor.

JP Raptors were based a lot on Deinonychus. So the size makes sense, they might be a little big but not out of the realm of possibility .

suspsy

We've known that that's the size of Deinonychus for decades.

andrewsaurus rex

I realize.  But the  BOTC Deinonychus seems too tall and robust.  Compare the image suspsy posted with the illustration posted on page 1 of this thread which shows the BOTC Deinonychus figure beside one of the armored dudes.  While the BOTC figure might be within the upper limit possibility for the size of Deinonychus, it's not representative of the typical size of Deinonychus.  That's assuming the illustration on page one accurately portrays the scale size of the BOTC Deinonychus figure.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time one of David's creations was over scale.  The ceratopsian series had several figures that were too big.  I would imagine most collectors couldn't care less, but as i collect to a fixed scale i'm on the lookout for stuff like that.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I guess maybe the armor/feathers might also make it look larger..just a visual thing? I'm good with it.

Sim

The Cyberzoic Deinonychus looks excellent to me.  I'm so happy to see it! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on January 14, 2023, 06:15:22 PMThe Cyberzoic Deinonychus looks excellent to me.  I'm so happy to see it! :)

It does look very nice, I'm not sure how I will display it  though. I get the head armor and eye coverings make sense, but with Dino Riders you could still most of the head which let's be honest is where 90% of people look first.

suspsy

I fail to see how the Creative Beast Deinonychus is oversized.

Pliosaurking

Looks good to me! Can't wait to see the prototype!
Also it looks the right size to me.

Sim

The Cyberzoic Deinonychus looks the right size for the largest Deinonychus known and I'm happy with that.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 14, 2023, 06:52:14 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 14, 2023, 06:15:22 PMThe Cyberzoic Deinonychus looks excellent to me.  I'm so happy to see it! :)

It does look very nice, I'm not sure how I will display it  though. I get the head armor and eye coverings make sense, but with Dino Riders you could still most of the head which let's be honest is where 90% of people look first.
I'm not going to put armour on any of my dinosaurs as I don't care about it.  I'm only interested in the dinosaurs.

andrewsaurus rex

if the BOTC picture posted is a correct representation of the actual size of the model, than the BOTC figure is closer to 1/15 or 1/16 scale than 1/18.  I've been working with scale my whole life guys, and i'm 63.  I have a good eye for it.  If you like the figure, super.  I think it looks nice too.  But it's too big to be an accurate representation in 1/18 scale, except of a very, very large animal.

As I said the ceratopsian series is full of over sized figures.  Pretty much the entire 3rd wave, plus Zuniceratops, Avaceratops (which are both closer to 1/12 than 1/18) Centrosaurus,  Wendiceratops and a couple others.  Part of that is due to the component type construction, the reusing of parts necessary to keep costs down and part of it is due, I believe, to marketing.....the desire to have the figures of each series larger and more impressive than in the series before.

And as I said, most people don't care much about scale.  And so won't care at all.  I've been working with scale models my whole life and I do notice.  That's all.

suspsy

A @andrewsaurus rex, where are you getting this notion that that Deinonychus is too big? In addition to the images I posted above, a quick Google search reveals plenty of other such size comparison images. The CB Deinonychus in keeping with the known fossil material. It is not oversized.

andrewsaurus rex

we meet again, suspsy....lol.   You and I have been banging heads on here since the first day I joined.  :)

The latest pic you posted shows a woman, not a man, in comparison to Deinonychus.  She'll be a few inches shorter than the 6 foot blue man in your original picture.  And with scale, inches count (other things too, apparently.  :) ).   Depending on the size of the armored dude in the BOTC picture and again, assuming the illustration represents the accurate size of the figure, the BOTC figure is between 12% to as much as 20% too big for a typical Deinonychus. in 1/18 scale...although I doubt it's as much as 20% too big.   So let's just stick with the 12%.  In human terms, 12% is the difference between a 6 foot man and a 6 foot 8 inch man.  Most people would say that's very noticeable.

In your blue man pic, the back of the Deinonychus,  if it were horizontal, would be about crotch high on the blue dude.  In the BOTC illustration, the back of the Deinonychus is almost waist high on the armored dude.  Now assuming the armored dude is just 6 feet tall, and he may well be taller, than that represents a back height increase of about 3-4 inches.  I know that sounds trivial, but it's about a 12% increase.....which brings me back to my 6 foot man vs 6 foot 8 man comment above.

The torso size on the BOTC is also noticeably bigger than on the green Deinonychus in the blue man pic.

I've encountered skepticism many times in my life when having scale discussions.  The differences often sound trivial and to an inexperienced eye are not even noticeable on a scale model.  Were the models blown up to life size the size differences would be quite noticeable.

here's a really good illustration showing the various raptor relative sizes.   Deinonychus is on the right.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Dromaeosaurs.png

suspsy

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 15, 2023, 12:03:05 AMwe meet again, suspsy....lol.   You and I have been banging heads on here since the first day I joined.  :)

"Banging heads"?

I don't know what you're talking about and I don't see any need for backhanded comments like that. It adds nothing.

As for the rest of your post, it's based on the assumption that the Cyberzoic trooper is actually six feet tall, for which there is zero indication. He could just as easily be of average height. And as for that paleoart you shared, I suggest you try reading up on MCZ 4371. The CB design is indeed within the known size range of Deinonychus.

But if you insist on believing otherwise, that's your prerogative.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on January 14, 2023, 09:11:40 PMThe Cyberzoic Deinonychus looks the right size for the largest Deinonychus known and I'm happy with that.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 14, 2023, 06:52:14 PM

I'm not going to put armour on any of my dinosaurs as I don't care about it.  I'm only interested in the dinosaurs.

I'm about 50/50 if I'm buying it as part of the universe then I'll try to use it, otherwise might as well wait and buy the armor-less version? I think that is still planned?

suspsy

Yes, David did confirm that there will be Cyberzoic and BotM versions.

I think the only set of armour I'll buy will be the T. rex's.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: