News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, February 01, 2024, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Torvosaurus on August 07, 2024, 11:44:39 PMAs for the Austroraptor, the bright green color over the entire body makes me think of a peacock. I guess it might make sense if it was breeding, but doesn't make sense for an overall coloration. I guess it would likely be more crypto-colored for a carnivorous lifestyle, even if its main prey was fish(?). That bright green just doesn't seem camouflaged enough. It would be good for wooing the ladies, though.
Austroraptor appears to have been feeding on aquatic prey due to its conical teeth.  All that its prey might have seen of it before being snatched from the water is its feet.  This has been thought of for spinosaurid colouration too.  Leaves tend to be bright green, so I don't think the Austroraptor's green would take away its ability to camouflage.  Its blue feathers would though, but due to what I mentioned about predators that seize prey out of the water, I think the Safari Austroraptor's colouration is plausible.

Shane

Quote from: Torvosaurus on August 07, 2024, 11:44:39 PMI'll get the Saltasaurus and probably the Megalosaurus. The Nanuqsaurus is much better than the CollectA one, IMHO. The drooping tail on the CollectA Nanuqsaurus is odd. As for the Austroraptor, the bright green color over the entire body makes me think of a peacock. I guess it might make sense if it was breeding, but doesn't make sense for an overall coloration. I guess it would likely be more crypto-colored for a carnivorous lifestyle, even if its main prey was fish(?). That bright green just doesn't seem camouflaged enough. It would be good for wooing the ladies, though.

Torvo

The Austroraptor is not a bright green. This is another case of the photos causing the colors to appear more saturated than they are in life. There should be some lifestyle photos soon that will hopefully show the figure in a more natural light. But this is the same situation with the Utahraptor, the colors are much more muted in person than they appear in photos. Even the comic con videos show the green as much more vibrant than it actually is. It's just the way the camera wants to capture the green, but seeing this figure in hand, it is not bright or vibrant in its coloration.

Concavenator

Looking forward to seeing more pics of the Austroraptor:) Especially compared to the other giant Safari raptor, the Utahraptor.

Shane

There have been some lifestyle photos added to some of the new items, including the Austroraptor:

https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/austroraptor-toy-dinosaur-figure

Stegotyranno420

Just to be clear, does Mr. Watson come up with the colour schemes or that is another department?

Shane

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 12, 2024, 05:57:38 PMJust to be clear, does Mr. Watson come up with the colour schemes or that is another department?

In most cases, the sculptor also determines the coloration unless directed otherwise.

Concavenator

S @Shane Thank you! Those pics have wetted my appetite for the Austroraptor even further!  ;D Cannot wait for it to join my Utahraptor...

Faelrin

I love it so much. It will look so nice among the rest of Doug's dromaeosaurids with their unique base colors (blue-utah, orange-velo, brown-deino). I can't wait to get this one, and see a group shot of those.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Shane on August 12, 2024, 06:11:56 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 12, 2024, 05:57:38 PMJust to be clear, does Mr. Watson come up with the colour schemes or that is another department?

In most cases, the sculptor also determines the coloration unless directed otherwise.
Regarding the most recent dromaeosaurs, do you know the specifics.
Thank you btw

Shane

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 12, 2024, 08:26:24 PMRegarding the most recent dromaeosaurs, do you know the specifics.
Thank you btw

That's not for me to share, the sculptor can if they choose to.

mgaguilar

Agreed Faelrin. Doug's dromaeosaurids have been the best and most exciting series of releases that I've seen in a long time. Personally, I prefer them over Beasts of the Mesozoic's (of which I LOVE) dromaeosaurids for a multitude of reasons, but overall, they are just such quality releases that I can't help but collect them.

Thank you Shane for the additional photos. Irl/in-hand photos really are the determining factor for me in purchasing a figure.

Doug. Watson. Does. Not. Miss. 👏 I can't wait for the one that comes out next year.
I also hope one day my own kid can enjoy these figures as much as I do.

Doug Watson

For my prehistoric pieces Safari Ltd pretty much gives me free rein. Sometimes they will ask me what I have planned but I can't remember them saying no to anything before seeing what I come up with and even then if there is a change it is usually minor in the aim towards making the production paint process as smooth as possible. For my extant work I will often show Safari different examples since there can be a lot of variation from one animal to another when it comes to colour. For the most part the factory does a great job translating what I come up with into production but for obvious reasons they do have to simplify my paint schemes.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 12, 2024, 08:26:24 PMRegarding the most recent dromaeosaurs, do you know the specifics.
Thank you btw

For the dromaeosaur colours I have looked to birds, usually birds of prey for inspiration. For this one strange as it may seem I was actually inspired by a Blue Pitta female.

Stegotyranno420

Thank you so much S @Shane and avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson
for the information and cooperation, it is extremely appreciated :)

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Tecovas on July 31, 2024, 06:15:21 AMWhat a great bunch of reveals! This is definitely the most impressed I've been by Safari in a long time. The Saltasaurus and Megalosaurus are must-buys for me. We'll see on the Nanuqsaurus.

This^^^

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post myself...really loving that Megalosaurus fig!

Lynx

A bit late to reply due to traveling, but these figures look incredible! Bunch of my favorite genus are represented here
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Thank you for the info about the inspiration behind the Austroraptor's color scheme! And thank you for your amazing work on dromaeosaurids.  ;)

Flaffy

Personally would've preferred if the patterning was closer to the inspiration. With mottling on the underside rather than white dorsal stripes. Still very glad to finally be able to add an Austroraptor to my dromaeosaur collection though!

GojiraGuy1954

I like that it is appropriately bulky rather than being a stick like many other Austroraptor interpretations. It was a very big animal, smaller than Utahraptor but still one of the largest Dromaeosaurids.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

I'm super excited to add the Austroraptor to my collection. I hope avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson tackles some ornithomimids next.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on August 17, 2024, 06:51:59 PMI'm super excited to add the Austroraptor to my collection. I hope avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson tackles some ornithomimids next.
Yes. Multiple companies have Deinocheirus, Schleich has a pretty bad Gallimimus, CollectA has a good Struthiomimus and Beishanlong, but other than that there is essentially nothing. Safari needs to make some
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: