News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wild Past - Wave 2 - Kickstarter

Started by DinoToyCollector, March 22, 2023, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyCollector

The last sentence mentioned in this paper is making kind of sense when we also taking the Psittacosaurus restoration into account. For our colour design we ignored this and took the way many reptiles especially snakes take: scales with multiple colours forming nice smooth patterns along the body. So no, our current design has no spots. But I could try and include this. Maybe it looks nice.

postsaurischian

:D  The latest announcement says:  Segnosaurus galbinensis

A Theropod Unlike Any Other

Segnosaurus, a member of the enigmatic Therizinosauridae family, roamed the lands of what is now Mongolia between 86 and 71 million years ago. With a body structure that breaks the mold of its carnivorous cousins, it boasted a long neck, short and robust legs, and exceptionally long claws on its forelimbs. This mid-sized dinosaur's dietary habits remain a topic of debate, with its teeth and physique suggesting a possible preference for plants, making it a potential omnivore or herbivore.

The Segnosaurus Reimagined

For those of us who grew up in the '90s, the Segnosaurus and its Therizinosaur kin were shrouded in mystery, defying clear classification. Present yet elusive, this dinosaur now receives a modern makeover, complete with a scientifically-informed feathery attire. Despite its long-standing recognition by science, representations of Segnosaurus have been scarce – until now.

Bringing the Segnosaurus to Life

We at Wild Past Studio have taken on the challenge of depicting this rare gem of the dinosaur world. Our rendition of the Segnosaurus not only gives it a renewed presence but also dresses it in colors that speak to its natural habitat. We've envisioned a creature adapted to its environment, a testament to the diversity and evolutionary marvels of the Theropods.

Why Segnosaurus?

Our fascination with the Segnosaurus stems from the air of mystery that surrounded these species during our childhood. They were known but not understood, appearing in the pages of our dinosaur books as curious oddities. Today, we give the Segnosaurus the spotlight it deserves, showcasing it as a marvel of prehistoric life.

We invite you to be a part of this momentous revival. Embrace the chance to own a slice of history and help bring the underrepresented Chasmosaurus into the spotlight where it truly belongs.

Stay tuned for the official unveiling of our Segnosaurus model, and join us in celebrating the diversity that the Cretaceous period had to offer.

Warm regards,

Stefan Klein

Wild Past Studio

Faelrin

First time this animal gets a figure I think. Kind of fragmentary, but one of the better therizinosaurs to go from, as it has parts from most of the body (minus the skull, and much of the neck). Looking forward to seeing more of it though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

One of the "original" scythe lizards! This is a delightful announcement.

thomasw100

Wonderful speciew that should have long made into a great figure. I just wonder a bit about this rather scaly looking neck and head without feathers. If one compares this to for example the Therizinosaurus model from PNSO, this looks a bit weird to me.

thomasw100

Some paleoart images of Segnosaurus actually show the transition between neck and body much more continuous:

Concavenator

Yeah, my hypothesis was right.  :) Looks great! Exquisite timing too, just when I was considering to get either Safari's or PNSO's Therizinosaurus. This will hopefully save me from getting its more fragmentary relative.

The fact that we're being offered a non-Therizinosaurus therizinosaur is a cause for celebration. Therizinosaurs clearly aren't known from excellent remains, but among them and as usually happens, there are better and worse choices (as avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin said). Segnosaurus is one of those better choices. Brilliant choice of animal if you ask me.

Between the Chasmosaurus, the Segnosaurus and the Plateosaurus, this Kickstarter campaign definitely has stuff that interests me. That aside, I genuinely think the choice of genera is really good so far (overlooked animals with decent fossil remains).

T @thomasw100 the only therizinosaur with preserved feathers is Beipiaosaurus, and it's a basal one. So the type of/presence of feathering on its other relatives, especially the more derived ones, is inferred and so is in the air.

DinoToyCollector

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin we also have the lower jaw of Segnosaurus! But yes, still fragmentary.

I love the PNSO Therizinosaurus T @thomasw100 but I took the liberty to imagine it in a way an ostrich looks like which lives in a similar habit. With a feathery coat it may be an advantage having a naked neck in a hot environment.

Faelrin

Bruh why did I dream you all were making a Tullimonstrum. Why did my brain have to do me like this?

Like it was of the package art, which strangely depicted it among coral. Mazon Creek has both marine and fresh water deposits, but not sure there is any track record of that. But then again dreams don't make sense most of the time.

Thinking more on it though, it would be cool to see down the road, but it would definitely need to diverge from the already established 1:35 and 1:20. Essexella could even be a cool thing to throw in alongside it with how common its fossils are in the Mazon Creek formation. Bandringa is another suggestion that might work better.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself though, like I just all had to go and have that dream before waking up. Ugh.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thomasw100

Quote from: DinoToyCollector on November 24, 2023, 12:50:58 PMavatar_Faelrin @Faelrin we also have the lower jaw of Segnosaurus! But yes, still fragmentary.

I love the PNSO Therizinosaurus T @thomasw100 but I took the liberty to imagine it in a way an ostrich looks like which lives in a similar habit. With a feathery coat it may be an advantage having a naked neck in a hot environment.

This is certainly a scientifically plausible hypothesis. But from an esthetic point of view, this naked thin neck rising out of this rather thick and feathery body just feels not right for me. It is just personal taste and I am sure many people will just like this new appearance and find this interesting and particularly appealing. This is like the lipped versus non-lipped theropod discussion. There are scientific arguments based on observations but a lot of the discussion is driven by esthetics. Some people like theropods with lips and some do not.

Concavenator

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I recall you were looking for a Chasmosaurus, I imagine this will interest you?

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on November 24, 2023, 06:00:10 PMavatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I recall you were looking for a Chasmosaurus, I imagine this will interest you?

Yes I am! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  ;D

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm so excited for the Chasmosaurus and Segnosaurus!!!
These are definitely "classic" genuses that have not gotten enough love in toy form.

thomasw100

I am still not sure if I will pledge in this kickstarter. This depends on a few open questions. So far the Chamosaurus is absolutely great, so this is a good reason to participate. As I have my issues with the Segnosaurus, it will all depend on the sauropod now. I believe that chances are high that this one will be good. Then of course the paint application of the Chasmosaurus and the sauropod will matter. If I will like them, I will be in. If I do not like them, my hope would be that unpainted models would be available as an option so I can get them custom painted.

Halichoeres

Segnosaurus is an excellent choice. I had been looking for Disga's hideous version but this means I don't have to. The naked neck works. Lots of modern birds with similar feather distribution: emus, guinea fowl, megapodes, vultures, marabous, friarbirds. It is maybe a bit unsightly to human eyes, but at least some other birds seem to like it!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

avatar_Funk @Funk, I think you might be interested in the Segnosaurus!

DinoToyCollector

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 25, 2023, 11:33:09 PMIt is maybe a bit unsightly to human eyes, but at least some other birds seem to like it!

I had to laugh at this sentence avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  ;D

Federreptil

Hallo, maybe I missed the point.
But is the date defined, when the kickstarter campaign will start?
I have looked in the kickstarter portal and can't find any still running campaign.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Federreptil on November 28, 2023, 03:07:48 PMHallo, maybe I missed the point.
But is the date defined, when the kickstarter campaign will start?
I have looked in the kickstarter portal and can't find any still running campaign.

As far as I know, no specific starting date has been announced yet.

But here's the latest news from Wild Past:

We are thrilled to announce the latest addition to our prehistoric collection: the Rapetosaurus! Many of you correctly guessed this spectacular creature, and we're excited to share more about it.

Introducing Rapetosaurus: A Titanosaur from Madagascar

Rapetosaurus, a member of the Titanosaur family, roamed the Earth in the late Cretaceous period, around 70 million years ago. This colossal dinosaur, known for its long neck and tail, was discovered in Madagascar. The name 'Rapetosaurus' pays homage to the mythological giant Rapeto from Malagasy folklore.

Scientific Significance

The discovery of Rapetosaurus fossils in 1995, later described in 2001, has been pivotal in understanding the diversity and spread of Titanosaurs, especially in the Southern Hemisphere and on islands like Madagascar.

Our Model: A Masterpiece by Fredrick Alexander

The 3D model crafted by Fredrick Alexander is a work of art, showcasing incredible attention to detail. It complements our existing Majungasaurus model, as seen in our initial sketch. While fossils from a juvenile Rapetosaurus have been found, we chose to represent an adult in our model, enriching our understanding of this majestic species.

Why This Figure?

Rapetosaurus is a unique addition to our collection. It's a species not commonly represented in figurine form, offering a fresh perspective on the prehistoric world.

We hope you're as excited about this release as we are. Keep an eye out for more updates and behind-the-scenes glimpses into our creative process.

Thank You for Your Continued Support!

Your enthusiasm and support make projects like this possible. We can't wait to bring more of the ancient world to life for you.

Warm regards,

Stefan Klein

Wild Past Studio

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I called it! I am beyond hyped! Also I could be wrong but it almost looks like they may offer a version that fits in a scene with their majunga?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: