News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2014 Hopes & Dreams

Started by Concavenator, June 30, 2013, 05:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dinosaurs do you think  Papo will release in 2014?

Apatosaurus
10 (16.7%)
Giganotosaurus
18 (30%)
Therizinosaurus
7 (11.7%)
Ceratosaurus
7 (11.7%)
Dilophosaurus
13 (21.7%)
A surprise(specify in comments)
5 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Daspletodave

I'd also like to see more ceratopsians and hadrosaurs. We need a really good museum quality Edmontosaurus, Lambeosaurus, and Corythosaurus. As for horned dinosaurs, I'd really like to see Chasmosaurus, Centrosaurus, and Pentaceratops in plastic (I've gotten these on Shapeways, which seems to be the only place to get "new" dinosaurs).
There seems to be a trend among the plastic dino manufacturers to copy each other - remember Giganotosaurus, and now Carnotaurus? This is boring.
So my advice to the manufacturers is as follows:
Carnegie Museum line - get busy with resculpting your pre-2004 dinos
Bullyland Museum line - stop trying to copy Papo by making models with moveable parts and do your own thing
Papo- pay more attention to scientific accuracy and less to Jurassic Park and Godzilla
CollectA- instead of making 20 goofy looking dinos a year how about just 5 really good ones, if you can (and if you can't then hire a new sculptor)
Wild Safari - love the marine reptiles and flying reptiles, but could you keep your dinosaurs more size-consistent? For example, your Edmontosaurus (which I don't like) was in real life a huge animal, yet the model is dwarfed by your Gryposaurus (which I like) which was less than half the size of Edmontosaurus.
Favorite - do one new dinosaur a year. Even if it's a limited edition by Tokugawa or another sculptor. Almost a decade ago you announced five new models - we've only seen two get made (Spinosaurus and Velociraptor). Where are the other three? (Iguanodon, Dilophosaurus, and ???)
Just got my Shapeways Pachyrhinosaurus in 1/40 scale. Amazingly lifelike. Something tells me the plastic manufacturers had better watch out!

Concavenator

Quote from: Daspletodave on July 04, 2013, 10:51:23 PM
To Juan Andres:
The mammoth calf is from Bullyland. It's roughly 3.5 inches long and stands about 3.5 inches high.
Thanks answering! :)

Seijun

Quote from: Daspletodave on July 04, 2013, 10:51:23 PM
To Juan Andres:
The mammoth calf is from Bullyland. It's roughly 3.5 inches long and stands about 3.5 inches high.

I remember that someone who contacted bully reported that they had no records of making the figure. However, the seller reports this: "It is made exclusively for the Museum of Natural History in Stuttgart (SMNS, Staatliche Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart )".

As for 2014 releases, I would love to see a new carnegie apatosaurus and trex.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tyrantqueen

Sometimes I feel like I'm losing faith in "mainstream" dinosaur toy companies. The only companies I really am excited for are Papo and Carnegie. As long as Papo continues this trend of taking influence from Sideshow maquettes (and veering away from the JP influence), I will rate their models highly.

CollectA's sculpts look like they have potential, but they always end up missing the mark in some way. I bought their Diplodocus, but that's the only figure in their recent line up that I really liked. Their Diabloceratops was decent, although not award winning.

As long as Safari Ltd. sticks with their current sculptor (the one I keep complaining about, who produced the Acrocanthosaurus, Ceratosaurus etc) they will not be "must haves" for me. The paintwork is sloppy, the proportions are cartoony, and the texture stamped look is horrible.

Schleich and Bullyland dinos are pretty much a joke at this point.

More and more, I find myself turning to resin kits and Shapeways prints, to get a decent depiction of a dinosaur that I want.

...Or maybe this was just a bad year?

Concavenator

Call me strange,but I don't think Papo will release a Dilophosaurus soon.Papo Carnotaurus is almost completely a Sideshow copy(but I love it).Sideshow's one was released in 2008 if I don 't remember bad,and Papo's one in 2013.Five years have past since this statue,and I am sure were people in 2008 hoping for a Papo Carnotaurus.I think it would be too cheeky to release a Sideshow inspired one at least the 2 following years.Something similar happens to Dilophosaurus,I think.The JP one is horrible,in my personal opinion,and also scientifically inaccurate.If I would be on the Papo team,I would wait at least 3 or 4 years and release a Sideshow inspired Dilophosaurus.But I also think that,soon or late it is going to be done,I am almost sure.And for the Apatosaurus it would be awesome to see a Papo one,but I don't think Papo will produce one so soon after the Brachiosaurus.As for the Therizinosaurus I don't think it's a long shot after all;almost every year Papo surprise us with 1 or more unexpected figures.For example,who expected an Oviraptor several years ago?And a Running Tyrannosaurus?And with this year's case:Dimetrodon?.Of course I would like to see a fully feathered Papo therizinosaurus,that would be amazing,but I really don't mind enough a partially feathered one or just with skills.And Hmmm...I think it is quite likely to Papo to release a Papo Giganotosaurus .It is a need for 'em!!!Let your imagination fly...Who knows if your dream will finish in figure form!? ::) ^-^

:)

KeU

I am hoping PAPO will do a Giganotosaurus and Apatosaurus for next year. Really looking forward to their rendition of the 2 beasts even though I know there are already more than enough Giganotosaurus and Apatosaurus from the other lines. Don't need them to be really scientifically accurate, let it be stylist and detailed. Those are PAPO cornerstones. If I want accurate, I can always get a Carnegie figure which I hope they will re-do their older sculpts.

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 05, 2013, 11:57:37 AM
Sometimes I feel like I'm losing faith in "mainstream" dinosaur toy companies. The only companies I really am excited for are Papo and Carnegie. As long as Papo continues this trend of taking influence from Sideshow maquettes (and veering away from the JP influence), I will rate their models highly.

CollectA's sculpts look like they have potential, but they always end up missing the mark in some way. I bought their Diplodocus, but that's the only figure in their recent line up that I really liked. Their Diabloceratops was decent, although not award winning.

As long as Safari Ltd. sticks with their current sculptor (the one I keep complaining about, who produced the Acrocanthosaurus, Ceratosaurus etc) they will not be "must haves" for me. The paintwork is sloppy, the proportions are cartoony, and the texture stamped look is horrible.

Schleich and Bullyland dinos are pretty much a joke at this point.

More and more, I find myself turning to resin kits and Shapeways prints, to get a decent depiction of a dinosaur that I want.

...Or maybe this was just a bad year?
The current sculptor for the Wild Safari line also did the Dimorphodon and Elasmosaurus,both of which display well alongside any of the best model lines out there,so I don't want to see the back of him just yet. ;)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Concavenator

Tie between Carnegie Apatosaurus,Wild Safari Yutyrannus, a exotic new dinosaur genee and a resculpt.In second place goes Carnegie new Allosaurus,with 2 votes and Wild Safari Archaeopteryx and new Carnegie Stegosaurus losing yet.Three days more of voting ;D

Concavenator

Hi :)
Dan's Dinosaurs have announced his 5th piece and is...SUCHOMIMUS!!!An amazing sculpt available in DansDinosaurs.com.I wish profoundly they resculpt their old suchomimus.A new one would be spectacular.Hope they release it,hope it!!!... ::)(*very excited*)

tyrantqueen

This Suchomimus very much reminds me of Epoxirex's (Eduardo Moreno's) work...I wonder what scale it will be?

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 05, 2013, 11:54:09 PM
This Suchomimus very much reminds me of Epoxirex's (Eduardo Moreno's) work...I wonder what scale it will be?

Its 1:15

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well there goes some of my blood..I'll have to sell it to afford this guy ! lol  I've always loved Epoxierex's work and was considering commissioning him myself..just couldn't decide on what to do.

Malcolm released a very nice Suchomimus figure for his line..but I have to agree..Safari, Papo, someone needs to make a good mass produced figure of this underdog spinosaur !

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 06, 2013, 03:24:15 AM
Well there goes some of my blood..I'll have to sell it to afford this guy ! lol  I've always loved Epoxierex's work and was considering commissioning him myself..just couldn't decide on what to do.

Malcolm released a very nice Suchomimus figure for his line..but I have to agree..Safari, Papo, someone needs to make a good mass produced figure of this underdog spinosaur !

Geoworld made one this year, however

Its admitably bad

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on July 06, 2013, 04:36:03 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 06, 2013, 03:24:15 AM

Geoworld made one this year, however

Its admitably bad

Not as bad as Safari's...they should be ashamed to have released that one ...but yeah we need a really good one.

tyrantqueen

The Suchomimus resin looks decent, but the leg looks as though it's missing some muscles there.

Also, it's Epoxirex, not "Epoxierex"

For me, the search for a good 1/40 Suchomimus still goes on :-\

Concavenator

Yes,totally agree with you we have to see an excellent figure for Suchomimus,this beautiful spinosaurid worths it.I really love Safari,but their old Suchomimus... *yuck*!I think Safari should resculpt their old one and release a highly accurate,detailed and beautiful model for this African spinosaurid.I have dreaming for it since a lot of time.Safari Ltd. have older model(and retired) that would be interesting in their actual style.I refer to:Carcharodontosaurus,Utahraptor,Hypacrosaurus,Gorgosaurus...inter alia.A Deluxe CollectA Suchomimus would be stellar(I means ,seriously planted,cuz their Deluxe Spinosaurus is a JP,and their Baryonyx is a bit "zombie".)Agree with all the comments,we definitely have to see a great,new Suchomimus.Thx to Takama on posting the image,but I don't like Geoworld's figures(I also don't like Favorite,Invicta,Chinasaurs...and I am duding about Möjo)I also don't collect resin kits,because they're really expensive! :'(

tyrantqueen

QuoteI also don't collect resin kits,because they're really expensive!
Well, it's not really fair to compare toys to resins. Resin kits are aimed at adults. They may be more expensive but their detailing and accuracy is usually superior to that of toys.

Concavenator

It also would be nice seeing a CollectA Suchomimus.I don't care for about if it is Deluxe,because actual CollectA figures have clearly improved from their old times.The CollectA Irritator wasn't bad enough,and we need Suchomimus' figures!!!I would be really happy with this news! :D
By the way,I am not the unique here who expect a CollectA Yutyrannus for 2014.CollectA releases very recent dinosaur genres(Utahceratops,Kosmoceratops,Diabloceratops,Concavenator...Do I continue? ;))
So a Yutyrannus wouldn't be a surprise,but it would be exciting to see.A CollectA Deinonychus in a diorama would be amazing,but this is a dream.Also,I am almost 100% sure CollectA will do a ceratopsid next year;see the variety of ceratopsids they have done:Torosaurus,Triceratops,Utahceratops,Kosmoceratops,Styracosaurus,Diabloceratops,Psittacosaurus,
Koreaceratops...all released on recent years,so I expect a Xenoceratops,or another recently discovered exotic,new ceratopsian.Also,Everything Dinosaur have done a list with CollectA fan's models suggestions and appeared Giganotosaurus and Yaverlandia inter alia.Yaverlandia would be cool to see,no?A Gargoyleosaurus would be fancy stunning :o ::)

Concavenator

Poll finishes today at 2:44 pm.

CityRaptor

Do we actully define resculpt properly? Take the Carnegie Diplo for example. The original Sculpt was refined in 1996, making this a resculpt, but the 2008 Version is a completely new sculpt, not a modified Version of the old sculpt. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: