You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

I hope to saw it in my country, Spain  ;)
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stargatedalek

Mahi-Mahi pillow (Bass Pro Shop)
Gouldian Finch (Safari Incredible Creatures)
Blue Crab (Safari Incredible Creatures)
Alligator Snapping Turtle (Safari Incredible Creatures)
Dying Poison Dart Frog (Safari but unsure what line)
Safari Good Luck Minis: Spinosaurus, Bottlenose Dolphin, and two dart frogs the exact species I don't know
Archaeopteryx (Wild Safari)
Gastornis (Wild Safari)
Yutyrannus (Wild Safari)
Postosuchus (Wild Safari)
Giant Squid (Wild Safari)
Triceratops x2 (Invicta)
Iguanodon (Invicta)
JW 15 Pack Blindbag
JW Stegoceratops
African Penguin ("The Collection", shame I didn't realize sooner it was a Safari bootleg)
Frog Toob (K&M)
JW Mosasaur vs Submarine
Schleich Stork
An unknown wooden snail from a yardsale, it might come from a museum (since a lot of their other things were!)

I had to pass on a lot of things, a pheasant mount, a few museum mounts (with cases!) from that yardsale, and even someone offering a baby parrot (live) due to space (and border police with regards to the parrot).

Roselaar

Wow, that's a big fish! It dwarfs the Mosasaurus. :)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Pachyrhinosaurus

Nice additions! Your dyeing dart frog is part of the Incredible Creatures line. It is only found in retailer catalogs since it comes in a bulk bin.
https://safariltd.com/products/view/incredible-creatures-poison-dart-frogs-in-bulk-bin-figurines-261929
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

stargatedalek

Thanks guys! Its nice to know where that frog came from, I found it in the impulse buy section!

Tyrannosauron

Big book weekend for me: "A Field Guild to Mesozoic Birds and Other Winged Dinosaurs" by Matthew P. Martyniuk, "Dinosaur Paleobiology" by Stephen L. Brusatte, Fastovsky's & Weishampel's dinosaur textbook, and an older edition of Benton's vertebrate paleontology textbook. I'm also pretty excited to have picked up first edition, first printings of Bakker's "Dinosaur Heresies" and "Raptor Red." The best part is that I'll get reimbursed for all of it since I'm using them to teach a class...  >:D

Brontozaurus

I got my first Invicta today, the Muttaburrasaurus! There's a tiny bit of wear but after 20+ years I wasn't expecting it to be mint. In any case it's just as wonderful as everyone says Invicta dinos are. According to the underside, it was produced with the help of the Australian Museum, and since I'm volunteering there tomorrow I'm going to take the little guy along.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on August 09, 2015, 11:04:30 PM
Big book weekend for me: "A Field Guild to Mesozoic Birds and Other Winged Dinosaurs" by Matthew P. Martyniuk, "Dinosaur Paleobiology" by Stephen L. Brusatte, Fastovsky's & Weishampel's dinosaur textbook, and an older edition of Benton's vertebrate paleontology textbook. I'm also pretty excited to have picked up first edition, first printings of Bakker's "Dinosaur Heresies" and "Raptor Red." The best part is that I'll get reimbursed for all of it since I'm using them to teach a class...  >:D
Misappropriations 101? ;)

Nice selection, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Paleona

Though not really part of my collection, I finally got my Dougal Dixon encyclopedia in the mail.  It was back-ordered for about a month on Amazon... great price, but now that it's arrived, the edges of the cover are all smushed, and several of the back pages are warped and dented from the poor packaging.  To top it off, the lamination(?) it's covered with is starting to peel.  >:(  I guess this is common for Amazon's way of packaging books?  It's also a much more compact book than I imagined, but that's my own fault for not reading the dimensions, lol.  I'm excited to read through it, but disappointed with how Amazon sent it to me.  :-\

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 10, 2015, 01:53:40 PM
Quote from: Tyrannosauron on August 09, 2015, 11:04:30 PM
Misappropriations 101? ;)

t all depends on whether it came from a department-funded personal account for supplies, in which case it's normal; or from a departmental supplies account, in which case yeah, might want to leave those in the department library. ;)

Meso-Cenozoic

Really cool haul, Stargatedalek! I especially like the Mahi-Mahi pillow and Wooden Snail. Both are very nicely done! :)

stargatedalek

Thanks, both are pretty novel.

Got pretty lucky at Value Village.

AAA keeled box turtle is a real gem.

joossa

I like the Reshiram and Arceus!
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Patrx

Say, I think I have the same Reshiram figure! Did yours come with a Zekrom as well?

stargatedalek

Thanks guys! No sign of any Zekrom figure, they were the only Pokémon figures in the bag.

sauroid

Quote from: Roselaar on August 08, 2015, 09:18:56 PM
Found me a JW Mosasaurus. This figure ain't so bad. Decent biting action, poseable tail, coverable dino damage. Even the sub has redeeming features (though certainly not the lousy human figure). I just don't like the position of the flippers. And it would have been total badass if the tail was also bendable.

this would look great side by side with the Chap Mei Liopleurodon
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Tyto_Theropod

Okay, so I haven't been on the forum in a while (mainly because I didn't want to be tempted into spending money I haven't got on dinosaurs and nothing else! :))), but yesterday I broke that resolve when I took my dog to the grooming parlour and foolishly ventured into the local toy shop while I was waiting to collect her. Generally I don't like their stuff (Schleich and Cheaposaurs! >:(), but on this occasion I got lucky as they had a single Pentaceratops. Heck I thought, get it somewhere where you can pick it up straight away and don't have to pay postage! I'd have let a kid have it, but they were all more interested in the giant off-brand robot T. rex that was taking pride of place on the shelf, so I'm afraid I quietly slipped the quality toy into my basket... and then I got carried away and ended up parting with over £20.00, some of which was planned to go on skulls and fossils! :'(

Ah, never mind. It was a good haul:

Schleich Pentaceratops. I have to say, much as it gets positive reviews and is great overall, I really don't like those meaty feet. Doesn't matter though as I don't like the colours either (oh, sweet controversy!) and so from the moment I bought the figure I had a custom job planned. Another nitpick is that the top pair of horns are actually just texture on the frill and not separate from it. It's probably so they can't break, but it annoys me. Lastly, where the frill touches the body the pieces aren't separate. Again, probably a safety feature, but again, it narks me. However, overall I'd say this is a great little Ceratopsian model.

While I was about it, I grabbed their alligator (green) and crocodile (brown). They're both great toys and I had the notion they'd be useful to pose for Mesozoic relative in my photos. On the whole the paint jobs on these are great, but I'm not a big fan of the eyes. The gator's are white and cartoony, and the croc's are just... flat. Definitely planning to redo both. ;)

And finally, two figures that won't be compatible in photos! I can explain the snow owl as a nice figure of a modern predatory dinosaur, but I have to confess to picking up the lioness simply because I loved the sculpt and paint job, making it look very, very lifelike in comparison to some of the other extant animal figures. Plus, owls and lions are both among my favourite extant species.

I'll probably be posting more on my customs thread soon, so stay tuned for that...
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

sauroid

wow £20.00 for all five figures. were they on sale? cool haul btw.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

Modern dinosaur? All I see is a very lovely troodontid ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: