You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Roselaar on September 28, 2015, 08:40:52 PMI can't help but notice your Scientific Toys dinosaurs have different paint jobs than mine. Anybody know whether variants or re-releases of these figures were released?
Around here I've only ever seen them sold as a set with an electronic game/dictionary device, and only in the Sears wishbook and liquidation stores at that. I would have bought one in stores but could only locate a French version which it seems Sears was clearing out (I assume French only versions don't sell so well in Nova Scotia :P), and I've never managed to find a complete set second hand.

Roselaar

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 29, 2015, 02:59:59 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on September 28, 2015, 08:40:52 PMI can't help but notice your Scientific Toys dinosaurs have different paint jobs than mine. Anybody know whether variants or re-releases of these figures were released?
Around here I've only ever seen them sold as a set with an electronic game/dictionary device, and only in the Sears wishbook and liquidation stores at that. I would have bought one in stores but could only locate a French version which it seems Sears was clearing out (I assume French only versions don't sell so well in Nova Scotia :P), and I've never managed to find a complete set second hand.

I'm not aware of these figures being ever sold otherwise than as a set with the game. But maybe they re-released the entire set, or maybe it's just a variable bunch. Still, the differences are quite noticeable. My Plateosaurus has the same pink colour, but it's covered in black stripes, for example. It looks better with stripes.

Arul

Robin, that apl from schleich ? I love the old version, not look like cartoon at least  :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Arul on September 30, 2015, 10:08:03 AM
Robin, that apl from schleich ? I love the old version, not look like cartoon at least  :)

I'm really sorry but I don't understand your question....  ???
The Schleich set I bought: Edmontosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Deinosuchus and Anhanguera (all in mint condition).
I like the retro-style of old Schleich....  O:-)

Arul

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on September 30, 2015, 10:21:23 AM
Quote from: Arul on September 30, 2015, 10:08:03 AM

I'm really sorry but I don't understand your question....  ???
The Schleich set I bought: Edmontosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Deinosuchus and Anhanguera (all in mint condition).
I like the retro-style of old Schleich....  O:-)

Sorry for the typo :D that " all"from schleich ? Hehe  :P yes, i love the retro too :)

Silvanusaurus

WARNING: The following post contains images which some viewers may find disturbing.

No, that isn't a Francis Bacon painting...
I was taking a quick look in 'Smyths' the toy shop in the UK, and in the 'Megasaurs' section there were some new arrivals... the 'Creatures in Action Range'. Before seeing these I thought they were just an urban myth I had caught a vague glimpse of online, but they are real! They are a selection of carnivores (mostly tyrannosaurus) sculpted in the process of eating various gruesome prey items. I picked up this Carnotaurus:

They are all quite bizarre, awkward looking abominations, crudely painted and freakishly sculpted. Also strange is that their made of this really solid, heavy material that feels more like resin than the cheap, soft plastic Megasaurs are usually made with. In hand they feel more like ornaments than toys, if a child threw these about they could cause some serious damage. Honestly these seem like something that was never supposed to be made, like something that should have been rejected at the design stage... in spite of this, I actually like certain elements of the designs and the physicality of them. But even though I have a big soft spot for really ugly, bizarrely designed dinosaurs, these may have crossed the line from pitifully endearing, to sheer dizzying abhorrence. But they are unique if nothing else.
The main reason I bought the Carnotaurus is for customising as the solid material should be good for sculpting on and it balances rather well. The shrinkwrapping on the heads is quite awful, it's almost like it's just a skull on the end of the neck with eyes literally bulging from hollow sockets. But I thought it would work if I build flesh up around it.
Anyway, they come with these tags that show the rest of the line:

Theres one there with a dead triceratops under it's foot that's potentially appealing. The Pteranodon is even more toothy and sinister than Papo's, but I think the most visually interesting is the one with the salamander-like velociraptors on it. The above pictures don't really give a full impression of how weird and uncomfortable these look 'in person'.
I dont know why really, but I feel a strange compulsion to buy the rest of them. They are actually really big. Has anyone else come across these?
I also noticed that the rest of the Megasaur packaging seems to have been changed, the boxes etc. have images of their own toys on them, rather than the shameless use of Papo figures they had before.

joossa

Those look cool. You said you found them in a shop, do you know if they are available online anywhere?
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

RobinGoodfellow

tyrantqueen

Not really to my taste, but cool find.

joossa

Thanks, Robin.
They have such descriptive words in their titles. :)  I think I'm going to buy the Carnotaurus.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Jetoar

Today it arrived one of my treasures at home  ^-^.

Favorite figures are really good. "Pepito" has arrive to Spain  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Roselaar

Those are some creepy carnivores alright! They don't look particularly good, but I still kinda like them. Maybe because of all the awkward goriness. :)

Not very scientifically accurate of course. A T-Rex eating a Brachiosaurus, what is this, JP rated R?

Patrx

Mirischia asymmetrica by Ademar P. Nascimento! It's a real beauty.
Thanks to Ikkesauro for helping me acquire this one :) I picked up another model along with it, but haven't gotten around to photographing that just yet. I'll be updating my collection thread soon, so if you're interested, check it out there!

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Patrx on October 02, 2015, 05:25:59 PM

Mirischia asymmetrica by Ademar P. Nascimento! It's a real beauty.
Thanks to Ikkesauro for helping me acquire this one :) I picked up another model along with it, but haven't gotten around to photographing that just yet. I'll be updating my collection thread soon, so if you're interested, check it out there!

It's really a fantastic figure.  :o
Did you buy it as a kit or is it a finished model ?

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Patrx

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on October 02, 2015, 06:00:39 PM
It's really a fantastic figure.  :o
Did you buy it as a kit or is it a finished model ?
Isn't it? Ademar built and painted it, though I expect he would sell unfinished kits as well if asked. You can check out the rest of his work on his blog, he recently finished up a rather dynamic Carnotaurus!

Quote from: joossa on October 02, 2015, 06:05:49 PM
Quite the looker, Patrx!
Indeed! I cannot take credit for inventing the color scheme, that was borrowed from a talented fellow on DeviantArt called "Kana-hebi".

Dinomike

That is one beautiful figure Patrx!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Patrx

Quote from: Dinomike on October 02, 2015, 08:50:09 PM
That is one beautiful figure Patrx!

It certainly is - and I'm glad to see such a nice model of a little dinosaur like this. They're quite uncommon! Dinostoreus did a 1/1 Compsognathus once upon a time, but it's outdated by now and tough to track down. Mirischia is a neat little creature, too. It was originally described as a compsognathid, there's been some speculation that it was a basal tyrannosauroid. The fossil material even shows intestines and evidence of a birdlike air sac!

Bucklander

Dinostoreus have the Compys back in stock. I bought one a couple of months back and according to Troy, they have quite a few in. It is a truly gorgeous figure (even though a little dated). I'll try to get some photos up soon but I'm pushed for time ATM. Have to get around to putting up an "Introducing myself" thread first though. I've been a member of the DTF for over a year but have been content, for the most part, to sit back and read everyone elses (that word looks wrong) comments.

Halichoeres

Goodness, that Mirischia is glorious.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: