You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

|Just got my favorite Favorite Fish!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on April 28, 2016, 02:14:37 PM

I see your Favorite Polypterus is about the same size as your real Polypterus!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 28, 2016, 02:20:07 PM

The tank also hold a tiny little retropinnis that isn't in the picture...it could fit inside the figure with room to spare!

The funny thing is that the figure it isn't even close to the largest Polypterus I've ever had--of the same species no less! I had a 18" ornate and a 22" saddled (same species as the toy!) for several years, before donating them to the Tyrrell Museum!

Same with the arrowana--I had one that was about double the size of the figure...it was a very bi fish tank.

sauroid

Quote from: SBell on April 28, 2016, 05:11:02 PM

The tank also hold a tiny little retropinnis that isn't in the picture...it could fit inside the figure with room to spare!

The funny thing is that the figure it isn't even close to the largest Polypterus I've ever had--of the same species no less! I had a 18" ornate and a 22" saddled (same species as the toy!) for several years, before donating them to the Tyrrell Museum!

Same with the arrowana--I had one that was about double the size of the figure...it was a very bi fish tank.
you donated them as live fish for their tanks or they had to preserve/pickle them?  :(
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on April 28, 2016, 05:27:06 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 28, 2016, 05:11:02 PM

you donated them as live fish for their tanks or they had to preserve/pickle them?  :(

As live fish. They died a couple of years ago; would have been about 20-25 years old.

It's why the Tyrrell has a Polypterus exhibit tank now! It used to house gars (honestly, they could have stayed in the tank together).

sauroid

Quote from: SBell on April 28, 2016, 06:05:49 PM

As live fish. They died a couple of years ago; would have been about 20-25 years old.

It's why the Tyrrell has a Polypterus exhibit tank now! It used to house gars (honestly, they could have stayed in the tank together).
thats awesome. my oldest Polypterus (wild caught delhezis) are fifteen years old and i hope they stay with me for ten more years.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on April 28, 2016, 06:27:18 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 28, 2016, 06:05:49 PM

thats awesome. my oldest Polypterus (wild caught delhezis) are fifteen years old and i hope they stay with me for ten more years.

I had mine from 1996 to 2006, and they apparently died in about 2012--but both were at least 3-5 years old, based on fin marking and sizes.

Delhezis have always proven my most difficult polypterid for some reason; I had one choke on a piece of gravel, and another just refuse to eat. My current one (in the photo) is humpbacked and has a deformed pectoral (hence the name Vulcan) but is active and a voracious eater, and seems to be doing well.

Roselaar

Quote from: raptor64870 on April 28, 2016, 05:07:51 AM
it is a figure by dinowaurus.
they come in blind packs so you have to be lucky to get one though.(i have 2 kentros by the way)

They are most widely available in blind bags, true. I've also seen them in 3-packs on a card with plastic bubble, in case you do get to see which figures you are paying for.

BTW, doing some research on the Starlux figures I foud there's two different Nothosaurs in that line. Which one did I get, the easier or the harder to find version?

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on April 28, 2016, 08:39:00 PM
they come in blind packs so you have to be lucky to get one though.(i have 2 kentros by the way)

They are most widely available in blind bags, true. I've also seen them in 3-packs on a card with plastic bubble, in case you do get to see which figures you are paying for.

BTW, doing some research on the Starlux figures I foud there's two different Nothosaurs in that line. Which one did I get, the easier or the harder to find version?

The two are about equal for finding. Yours is the better looking one though--the other has a more upright neck.

AcroSauroTaurus

Are they available in the U.S.? Are they even still in stores?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Takama

Dinowaurs was a European only line of figurirnes

The best place to get them in the USA is here

http://www.dejankins.com/european-eastern/

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on April 28, 2016, 08:57:39 PM

The two are about equal for finding. Yours is the better looking one though--the other has a more upright neck.

Thanks for the info. I also prefer this one. The other has an oddly gleeful expression...

Quote from: Takama on April 29, 2016, 03:41:22 AM
Dinowaurs was a European only line of figurirnes

The best place to get them in the USA is here

http://www.dejankins.com/european-eastern/

Wow, those are pretty expensive for small single figures. Considering most of them aren't very good, I would never pay that much for them, even for the obscure species among them.

Libraraptor

My latest haul aren´t any figures or models. My latest haul is ten back issues of "Prehistoric Times" from the pre-internet era. Thanks to Shane Foulkes! It´s interesting to see there was an organized scene of enthusiasts before DTF and how it communicated.
And that there are nowadays many kinds of connections between Prehistoric Times and the DTF.

sauroid

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 30, 2016, 09:01:24 AM
My latest haul aren´t any figures or models. My latest haul is ten back issues of "Prehistoric Times" from the pre-internet era. Thanks to Shane Foulkes! It´s interesting to see there was an organized scene of enthusiasts before DTF and how it communicated.
And that there are nowadays many kinds of connections between Prehistoric Times and the DTF.
i wonder how dinosaur toy collectors of that time got together or got in touch with each other without the internet?
*most notable connection between PT and DTF is member DC/Randy Knoll. he is a reviewer/contributor for PT and also the admin of the site Dinosaur Collector Site A.*

Roselaar

After drooling over David Silva's dinosaur line for weeks, I needed a super poseable dinosaur fix, so I went ahead and bought myself this classic dino toy line:

Excellent figures! Not correct or anything, but definitely among the finest true action dinosaur figures. Great sculpts, great paint jobs, some interesting species (more so back in 1997): what's not to love for a dinosaur aficionado? Too bad the second series never materialized, I would have loved to have seen the Lambeosaurus or Kentrosaurus mentioned on the back of these boxes.

Takama

Quote from: Roselaar on May 03, 2016, 08:30:28 PM
After drooling over David Silva's dinosaur line for weeks, I needed a super poseable dinosaur fix, so I went ahead and bought myself this classic dino toy line:

Excellent figures! Not correct or anything, but definitely among the finest true action dinosaur figures. Great sculpts, great paint jobs, some interesting species (more so back in 1997): what's not to love for a dinosaur aficionado? Too bad the second series never materialized, I would have loved to have seen the Lambeosaurus or Kentrosaurus mentioned on the back of these boxes.

THERE WAS A SECOND SEREIS?

May we see photos of the back of the box??

Roselaar

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2016, 08:33:21 PM

No pics, alas. It just says: 'Look for these Carnage figures in 1998: Allosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Ankylosaurus and Edmontia'. The last of course should be Edmontonia. I fear anybody looking for these in 1998 found themselves disappointed. Too bad, these would have been great, judging from the first series!

Also, what line of dinosaur action figures would have included so many herbivores? Herbivores would outnumber the carnivores almost 2 to 1! Well, with the existing figures it's 50-50, also fair. :)

Archinto

Wow what a score you got them all! How much did that put you out $$? I have them all too, but not in boxes like this. Looks like your styraco, stego and trike are genuine carnage figures. The rest are second release figs. I really wish I had kept all the boxes from my figures....
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Roselaar

Quote from: Archinto on May 03, 2016, 09:31:27 PM

Wow what a score you got them all! How much did that put you out $$? I have them all too, but not in boxes like this. Looks like your styraco, stego and trike are genuine carnage figures. The rest are second release figs. I really wish I had kept all the boxes from my figures....

25 bucks each. Though 200 euros total, I still think that's a pretty good deal for the entire line MIB. What's this deal exactly about the actual Carnage figures and the second release? I have heard about it, but I don't know the details.

Archinto

The original versions of these figures are the six resaurus ones. T-rex, Giganotosaurus, stegosaurus, triceratops, velociraptor & styracosaurus. They are marked Carnage Action Figures 1997 Resaurus Company on their tails and they have solid rubber bases. The later ones that dont say carnage are the toyway/toysmith versions and have hollow bases. Toyway did some reworking and created the protoceratops and deinonychus off the pre-existong raptor and trike molds for the bodies. The later releases say made in china on the tail, and the later and later releases the quality began to decline. Yours are all when they were still really good, but there are noticeable quality differences between the originals and the recasts both in paint, molding and the joint strength and fit.

And that is a rediculously insane good price you got on them!! INSANE GOOD!
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: