You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions (Archive, March 2012 - July 2018)

Started by Himmapaan, March 13, 2012, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Nice, Brontozaurus, am after the Megalosaurus since a while but it eludes me :)

.... so here's some of what I collected during the last weeks, most stuff bought new, but a lot of old figures that interest me are already in my collection while some others are just too expensive (when offered), so I have to wait for a chance.

I am especially fond of Safari's Nasutoceratops and come to appreciate CollectA more and more. Those free standing theropods are astonishing, when you got a chance, add the Proceratosaurus and Rajasaurus to your collection, they are both awesome! I mean come on, CollectA stands this top heavy dinos in a stride pose on two (appropriatly) tiny feet while keeping their hips as narrow as they should be and they don't topple over?! They outdid themselves with these I think, can't think of a reason why they don't do same with their even newer theropods as the Saurophaganax, Torvosaurus and the likes (which are still great figures). And heck, Schleich, have a look and these and abandon that clown feet on your dinos!

Roselaar

Can't say the same for my Collecta Rajasaurus and Proceratosaurus, they just won't keep standing. I still have to resort to keeping them on their plastic bases.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Roselaar on July 10, 2016, 02:27:14 PM
Can't say the same for my Collecta Rajasaurus and Proceratosaurus, they just won't keep standing. I still have to resort to keeping them on their plastic bases.

...same as mine...  :-[

Lanthanotus

Sorry for both of you,.... well, the Proceratosaurus in fact toppled over during the last hot days, but it is posed up on my terrarium tanks where the heat of the electric lights warms the air to above 35 °C even on cold days, so I guess that slight warping issue can be excused, especially as it was easy to be remedied with hot water thanks to the hard plastic it is made of. The Rajasaurus I carried with me in my trouserpocket during the last days and posed it in different locations (I was on a on-the-job training and used it to shoot some photos for my 2 year old son, showing the "dino" travelling to another city) so you could say it experienced some good use and play and it still stands stable as it used to. On the other hand, my wide hipped Saurophaganax toppled over from the start despite its base and transport guard. Weird world :D

Libraraptor

Quote from: Brontozaurus on July 10, 2016, 08:44:20 AM
Got my second ever Invicta, the Megalosaurus!  ;D

Congrats :) Oh, those Invictas, the booster detonation for my collecting passion.

AcroSauroTaurus

My Rajasaurus and Proceratosaurus are still standing even after the hot days earlier this summer and the past summer, same goes for my Lourinhanosaurus, Irritator, Utahraptor, Kelenken, and Concavenator. My Deinocheirus doesn't stand anymore though... (I have the older Deinocheirus.)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Roselaar

Picked up the latest batch of Collectasaurs:

Lythronax: good, but rather bland paint scheme.
Struthiomimus, better than expected, more detail than I would have thought, but it's obvious this is going to be another piece with stability issues. There's a little piece of plastic that ought to remedy that, but already it has bad balance...
Deinocheirus: wonderful figure! Nice detail, consistency with the paint job of its Deluxe predecessor.
Thalassomedon: nicely detailed, fine paint job, but a bit static. A flexible neck would have been awesome.

Halichoeres

Ooh, that Thalassomedon...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

Can't wait to see close up shots of those beauties!!  ;D

suspsy

Haven't had any stability issues with my Struthiomimus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

What the Struthiomimus may be due to an error in manufacturing, or blows it has suffered in the transfer package.

My Tapejara Safari when I bought had the bent head. I do not think the figure Struthiomimus as having stability problems. In fact I have the famous Pachycephalosaurus of the same brand and is fully right.

Roselaar all forms is privileged to have those figures. A beautiful group.

Roselaar

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 13, 2016, 07:09:31 PM
In fact I have the famous Pachycephalosaurus of the same brand and is fully right.

You're lucky then, my Pachy looks like he's kissing the floor.  :P

Maybe I should just remove the piece of plastic from the Struthiomimus and see what happens. I can always put it back.

The Thalassomedon is more detailed than it appears on first sight, but close-ups wouldn't bring out its fully glory with my camera I fear. I guess I have to leave that job to someone else.

MLMjp

I just came back from a one week trip in New York. It was great, I had a great time there. The last day I went to the Natural History Museum and I was lucky enough to see the feathered dinosaurs exposition as well as the Titanosaur and the regular exhibits. I felt like a little kid there ;D ;D, and of course being a collector I had to go to the gift shop ^-^

I got these three safari figures:

And this book :):

suspsy

That Mark Witton book is absolutely wonderful. Hands down the best pterosaur book I've ever read. It's amazing to think that at one time, scientists actually thought that pterosaurs could only drag themselves along the ground on their bellies.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

Quote from: suspsy on July 14, 2016, 12:58:57 PM
That Mark Witton book is absolutely wonderful. Hands down the best pterosaur book I've ever read. It's amazing to think that at one time, scientists actually thought that pterosaurs could only drag themselves along the ground on their bellies.

I knew it was a good one when I saw it ^-^ That´s why I decided to buy it.

Concavenator

@Roselaar: Congratulations on those new CollectAs!They're awesome.Could you post some more pics of them (if you want,of course),specially of the Deinocheirus and Thalassomedon,I think these are this year's highlights from CollectA,along with,obviously,the Beishanlong.
That said,I can't wait to see what the new CollectAs are.I'm personally hoping for a new Supreme model,as well as a new dromeosaur or small feathered dinosaur.

Roselaar

Quote from: Concavenator on July 14, 2016, 10:55:26 PM
@Roselaar: Congratulations on those new CollectAs!They're awesome.Could you post some more pics of them (if you want,of course),specially of the Deinocheirus and Thalassomedon

I'll try tomorrow, though I doubt close-ups would do them any justice with my camera.

I won a large lot of vintage animal and dinosaur figurines on eBay last week, which contained these dinosaur/prehistoric toys:

Wonderful lot of Starlux. Some damaged (as is usual, sadly) but most in very decent condition. Also some early releases. I guess I'm now officially collecting Starlux, even though my first five catches were all surprise snags.

Bunch of Inpro figures. Love 'em or hate 'em. I like their retro cuteness. The Brontosaurus and Pteranodon are rather oddly scaled.

Group of Marx knockoffs, nothing special. The Invicta T-Rex, however, is in surprisingly pristine condition, as if it's brand new.

The lot also included these animal/human figures. I'm not interested in the majority of them, so I'll gladly offer them up for sale in my Classifieds thread soon.

Various fish (and a toad), labeled 'Prior'.

Many generic plastic figures. I don't think there's anything of particular interest here.

These animals however are of distinctly higher quality. Some of them are Starlux as well, while others are labeled 'Britains Ltd.' Doesn't ring a bell to me, might to animal collectors.

Cowboys, Indians and animal companions, most also by Starlux. Including price tage on their underside. The smaller figures once went for only 10 French Francs. Good old days... :)

SBell

Very nice bunch if animals. The Starlux are a dangerous one to start with--some of them oculd drive you crazy! It took me 7 years to track down an Edaphosaurus!

The Marx knock-offs are original Ja-Ru copies of Marx figures (the Pteranodon is their own design).

The Prior fishes are a great series. I had a bunch, but sold most of them (the electric catfish were the ones I wanted most!). Sort of like the Britains--there are people on the ATF and STS forums that love those figures!

RobinGoodfellow

...a lucky find: Favorite (Museum Exclusive) Tarbosaurus by Kazunari Araki
   (more pictures in my thread)

:)

Silvanusaurus

Well done on winning that auction, Roselaar, it was a very attractive lot. I've seen various Britains Ltd figures around on eBay, they are usually lead figures, I think they're probably very collectable, but I've always avoided them because I'm very wary of anything made of lead.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: