News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Well not sure if this means anything for most of us but Amazon has the Terra Line now.

The Dan LoRusso models are not sold Sepratly, but they seem to be bundled for a cheap price. One set comes with the retired Crylophosaurus.

Sadly, No Nashiungosaurus

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/83D9C0D7-756A-4DEF-940B-81F755BF737B?ingress=2&visitId=24ea8e90-b12a-4573-aee9-96e08d57b1bd&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_19830772011

Also Theres this Vehicle that comes with the T.rex. 
https://www.amazon.com/Terra-Battat-Transport-Dinosaur-Movable/dp/B07SKTFD91?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I never seen this set before. and i wonder if its something Brand new.   If so,  Could there be new hope for the line?

Loon

That's a steal, especially since I need to pick up those figures again after I sold them. Honestly, the Nanshiungosaurus isn't a great loss for me, as it's the most outdated of the models. Hopefully with this new outlet, those last few new sculpts and reissues can find their way out.

Shonisaurus

Battat figures for that price is a complete investment and is very cheap for the dinosaur sets it contains. Honestly it's a bargain.

Gwangi

Yikes! Not the most flattering picture of the T. rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That vehicle works with the Jurassic World Mattel line in case anyone was curious. I saw pics on facebook that looked good.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Ooh, any development with this line is certainly something!

MLMjp

I was going to say something on the lines of...why do you keep this thread active when the line is pretty much dead? Then I saw this and it was like...Ok, nevermind.

paintingdinos

I went into a HomeGoods today and saw a ton of Battats, including the Cryolophosaurus which I've never seen for sale in person.

I know you can get the Cryo in a combo pack through Amazon, but went ahead and snatched up some singles just in case they get scarce again. I took 4 home with plenty still left on the shelf.

SidB

I wonder if these are newly off the production line or simply Battat clearing out their inventory of unmoved figures?

suspsy

Quote from: SidB on January 24, 2020, 03:46:49 AM
I wonder if these are newly off the production line or simply Battat clearing out their inventory of unmoved figures?

Most likely the latter.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

If they're being sold at Homegoods than this is a case of clearing out inventory.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

I don't really collect dinosaur/natureal history figures/models anymore, but I figured a steal such as the bundles and the fact that I never got a bunch of the newer (or older for that matter) lines meant that I should try to get some of Dan's sculpts before they're gone forever.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

SidB

A question. Is the venerable Battat "feeding frenzy" finally over? Has it run its course? I mean this - over the past year the Battat Diplodocus, the veritable "Grail" of collectors in days past, has sat in eBay listings for week after week at $299.00 USD, an attractive price historically, without takers. They disappear for a while, then re-appear for sale by the same seller, who is unwilling to drop the price lower. I saw one fairly recently being listed for $250, before finally vanishing. Did it sell or was it pulled, I don't know.

Battat mini T-rexes languish for weeks, albeit at lofty prices.

Why? A decline in interest among newer collectors? Better bang for the buck from outstanding new brands such as Eofauna and PNSO. A radical increase in quality from old stand-bys such as Safari and CollectA? All three, I'd suggest.

Brocc21

I think your right. Great in their time but now Battat is a relic of a bygone age. Still need to get that cryo though...
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: SidB on February 18, 2020, 04:21:05 AM
A question. Is the venerable Battat "feeding frenzy" finally over? Has it run its course? I mean this - over the past year the Battat Diplodocus, the veritable "Grail" of collectors in days past, has sat in eBay listings for week after week at $299.00 USD, an attractive price historically, without takers. They disappear for a while, then re-appear for sale by the same seller, who is unwilling to drop the price lower. I saw one fairly recently being listed for $250, before finally vanishing. Did it sell or was it pulled, I don't know.

Why? A decline in interest among newer collectors? Better bang for the buck from outstanding new brands such as Eofauna and PNSO. A radical increase in quality from old stand-bys such as Safari and CollectA? All three, I'd suggest.

I feel like most established collectors who want one have one by now, and new collectors might not go for the higher-priced pieces right away. From my experience $275 is about average but I wasn't in the loop in the 00's.

I think the problem with eBay listings is that they all have quite a bit of paint wear as of late, especially on the head. I'm still looking to buy one and haven't yet for this reason. For me it's still the grail of dinosaur toys.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SidB

Yes, I'm still looking for the Dip as I have virtually the entire connection, but am completely unwilling to spend 300 plus exchange plus shipping and import fees = $500 +  Cdn. I am very pleased for the couple of DTF members who recently picked up Diplodocus figures at thrift store prices. Hurrah for them. Shows the rest of us that there's still hope. The thrill of the hunt can and will continue.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on February 18, 2020, 04:21:05 AM

I tackled this before in another post somewhere, but it has to do with the age of collectors to a point and the insane amount of product we now have available to us to collect.   In brief, nostalgia used to power collectors. So collectors in the 90's went for Marx, SRG, ect 2000's collectors wanted Jurassic Park figures. That's a broad overview, of course there are collectors who are younger and still appreciate Marx but they are far fewer.  On to availability.  The internet started this and eBay of course has played a HUGE part in helping collectors find things that were once rare and hard to get. Getting back to Battat specifically I can recall they were only available to me via catalogs from Monstrositites, Link and Pin and The Dinosaur Society.  I had one School Supply shop and they only carried Safari and not many at that.  I recall being amazed walking into my first educational toy store years after that school supply stopped carrying them and seeing how many new pieces there were ( the Dilo pair, the Maia and nest, ect ) it blew my mind.  So I only had a couple Battats and I think Jurassic Park took priority at the time, they were "cool" ad easier to get.   Now you can find just about anything for the right price. Foreign sellers can sell to you directly and you don't have to just hope to find something at a flea market.   The down side here and eBay is the worse culprit, sellers can see what something has sold for and will hunt down these items and list them for roughly the same price ( 300 for a Dippy? Try 6-500! ) and they sit there til a seller gets tired of waiting.   If you do find something in a local shop chances are they have looked at eBay to price it.  Found a plush JP puppet at one in December, seller had tons of junk and misc toys all pilled in boxes, I asked how much ( value was roughly 15.00 thought I might get it for 5.00 ) She says "let me check"  and looks at her phone for a few minutes while I'm browsing..comes back with 45.00 ! I knew what was up said no thanks and went  out and checked myself, yep she had looked up a "listed for " price, not a "sold for " price.    Some of us collect for fun, some collect as an investment ( I do both ).  We need to foster and keep an interest in older figures while at the same time embracing the newer things.  With the sheer volume of new merchandise that can be very hard.  I keep thinking of the old Dinosaur Show, More Dinosaurs, where Gary Owens tells Eric Boardman " I need more, more dinosaurs." While standing in Don Glut's living room, literally the most dinosaurs I had ever seen in one place as a kid.  Gary would need a museum today for all the stuff we have to collect!

SidB

It has become scary being a completionist. Very expensive and with the temptation to collect and complete multiple lines. very space prohibitive (space, the final frontier!). I  can understand the mindset of those collectors (we have them among us), who discipline themselves to acquire only one sample (typically) of a given genera or, occasionally, species. When I first started collecting, on or about 2008, Carnegie, Schleich and Invicta were readily available, with Battat rare , even then. One gradually obtained most of these from various sources, but in retrospect, what with the newer brands gradually adding to the ranks, I can see the time rapidly approaching when hard decisions will have to be made ( my wife would argue that it already has arrived). That's life, the existential decision. I'll hold onto the Battats though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on February 18, 2020, 05:41:52 PM
It has become scary being a completionist. Very expensive and with the temptation to collect and complete multiple lines. very space prohibitive (space, the final frontier!). I  can understand the mindset of those collectors (we have them among us), who discipline themselves to acquire only one sample (typically) of a given genera or, occasionally, species. When I first started collecting, on or about 2008, Carnegie, Schleich and Invicta were readily available, with Battat rare , even then. One gradually obtained most of these from various sources, but in retrospect, what with the newer brands gradually adding to the ranks, I can see the time rapidly approaching when hard decisions will have to be made ( my wife would argue that it already has arrived). That's life, the existential decision. I'll hold onto the Battats though.

I was sad when the Carnegie/ Safari line ended, but I was also a little relieved. It takes up quite a bit of area to display.  I have parted with most of my older Wild Safari ( neon dinos ) pieces.  Of course I always swear, "I'm done with T.rex! " but of course there always another one..

CityRaptor

Yeah, that are all factors that play a role. Personally I decided to not be a completist. That also means that I don't track down older, used and overly expensive figures. Like old Dippy here. With all due respect to the late Dan LoRusso, I very much prefer the 2008 Carnegie Diplodocus to his. Okay, I got some used figures, but I try to limit their numbers, having 3 Kleinwelkas and 5 Sinclairs ( an I don't mean Earl and his family ) which I got for a good price. There are just too many new releases to focus on old ones. ( In case you wonder, I got more old figures, but they were not old when I got them ). It's also one of the reasons why I sold off the majority of my model kits. Rather than trying to complete collections, I focus on what I like. Which are still a lot figures...in case you wonder, I have 4 Battat Terra figures: Dacentrurus, Ceratosaurus, Carnotaurus and Stegosaurus ungulatus. The latter mainly due to appearing in Bakker's "The Dinosaur Heresies" like that:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: