You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Takama on August 17, 2015, 11:01:34 PM
What is up with the rarity of these pieces?   I called Every single Store that the website lists in my region and none of them claim to have them, even if the website says it does

They aren't rare; they're new. At this point last year there were plenty of Target stores that hadn't gotten in any of the first four Terra figures. Now we can find them in most Target stores or on the website. A year from now we won't be able to find the re-released Triceratops or Pachycephalosaurus because Amargasaurus and Ceratosaurus are still on the shelves.

You might be able to expedite things by clearing the shelves of current stock. Maybe buy some Pachyrhinosauruses and Cryolophosauruses for forum members who don't live in the U.S.?

Gwangi

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on August 17, 2015, 11:08:09 PM
What is up with the rarity of these pieces?   I called Every single Store that the website lists in my region and none of them claim to have them, even if the website says it does

They aren't rare; they're new. At this point last year there were plenty of Target stores that hadn't gotten in any of the first four Terra figures. Now we can find them in most Target stores or on the website. A year from now we won't be able to find the re-released Triceratops or Pachycephalosaurus because Amargasaurus and Ceratosaurus are still on the shelves.

You might be able to expedite things by clearing the shelves of current stock. Maybe buy some Pachyrhinosauruses and Cryolophosauruses for forum members who don't live in the U.S.?

Agreed. I've said it before but I'll say it again, exercise some patience. I know we're all excited but they'll come out when they come out. They aren't rare, or limited edition, limited quantity or limited time items. They'll be massed produced and sitting on the shelves of virtually every Target in the country and this time next year people will be complaining that Target ONLY has the Ceratosaurus and Amaragasaurus and be chopping at the bit for the next releases. Jeeze, such an impatient consumer culture we've created. It blows my mind. "Jurassic World" pegged it for sure. As soon as someone gets their hands on something they're looking for the next thing. It's a never ending "more, more, more" mentality and you never end up being satisfied. I'm still too busy admiring the Acro and T. rex to care about the other Battat models. I'll get them when I get them. Damn, I NEVER thought I would buy a Battat T. rex off the shelves for $9.00...try to stop and appreciate that for a moment.

ItsTwentyBelow

Man Gwangi, I wholeheartedly agree.

I seriously echo what you say about the T. rex... what, Battat T. rex, for sale once AGAIN? Can't stop admiring it.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Gwangi on August 17, 2015, 11:56:58 PM
Quote from: Tyrannosauron on August 17, 2015, 11:08:09 PM

Agreed. I've said it before but I'll say it again, exercise some patience. I know we're all excited but they'll come out when they come out. They aren't rare, or limited edition, limited quantity or limited time items. They'll be massed produced and sitting on the shelves of virtually every Target in the country and this time next year people will be complaining that Target ONLY has the Ceratosaurus and Amaragasaurus and be chopping at the bit for the next releases. Jeeze, such an impatient consumer culture we've created. It blows my mind. "Jurassic World" pegged it for sure. As soon as someone gets their hands on something they're looking for the next thing. It's a never ending "more, more, more" mentality and you never end up being satisfied. I'm still too busy admiring the Acro and T. rex to care about the other Battat models. I'll get them when I get them. Damn, I NEVER thought I would buy a Battat T. rex off the shelves for $9.00...try to stop and appreciate that for a moment.

People are also spoiled by nation-wide or global releases of new products like iPhones, where you can go into any Apple store on release day everywhere and get one, or and least reserve one if they're sold out.

But the vast majority of product roll-outs don't happen that way. The stores in your region get them whenever they get them, maybe months apart, and put them out when they run out of old stuff.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

EmperorDinobot

I reviewed the Acro here in my dino review site (rarely updated).

http://emperordinobot.blogspot.com/

loru1588

My wife and I went to one of the local targets Sunday and I was able to pick up a Tyrannosaurus & Acrocanthosaurus. Asked the Toy Dept. manager what was the story on all the others. Her response was due to all the Targets non-genderfing the toy section, orders were behind. She told us to keep checking on M & W & F because that's when they restocked.

To Sim, I hope to eventually upgrade any of the MOS,Boston Series to modern standards, including lengthening the skull and adding feathers on the Gallimimus. All in due time!! I have to catch up with the Terra Series 1st!!

shiro45

I think I've gotten pretty lucky.

I'm in Austin, TX, so I have plenty of Targets to choose from. It took visits to five different stores over the course of a week to track down all five (of the most recent). In my area it seems the T-Rex and Acro are pretty common, I found the Amargasaurus at two different stores, and I got the last of the Ceratosaurus and Carnotaurus at the last store I checked (one each)... So from what I've seen in my limited experience is those last two are the hardest to find.

I'm glad these are so inexpensive! It helps when trying to reacquire the old ones as well...

I'm planning a tentative fix for the standing issues with the T-Rex and Acro since I have some modeling experience, but with the Rex's weight issues I think I might be out of luck with her... :-/

Sim

Quote from: loru1588 on August 18, 2015, 02:05:02 PM
My wife and I went to one of the local targets Sunday and I was able to pick up a Tyrannosaurus & Acrocanthosaurus. Asked the Toy Dept. manager what was the story on all the others. Her response was due to all the Targets non-genderfing the toy section, orders were behind. She told us to keep checking on M & W & F because that's when they restocked.

To Sim, I hope to eventually upgrade any of the MOS,Boston Series to modern standards, including lengthening the skull and adding feathers on the Gallimimus. All in due time!! I have to catch up with the Terra Series 1st!!

Congratulations on getting the Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus!  I've heard about Target going gender-neutral in the toy section.  I didn't connect that with orders being behind though.  Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks for confirming you'll make those upgrades to the Gallimimus and the other dinos that need them if you can.  I hope you have fun making the next Battat Terra dinosaurs!  I look forward to seeing them, especially the Plateosaurus!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on August 17, 2015, 03:38:39 AM
The Papo Carnotaurus might be 1:40 scale in length, but what scale is the width of its snout in?  1:30?  ;)
That sound you hear is me throwing all my calculations out the window.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 18, 2015, 10:01:56 PM
Quote from: Sim on August 17, 2015, 03:38:39 AM
The Papo Carnotaurus might be 1:40 scale in length, but what scale is the width of its snout in?  1:30?  ;)
That sound you hear is me throwing all my calculations out the window.

I thought that would be a funny way to say that the snout of the Papo Carnotaurus is way too wide!  It's not like you're new to proportions being off...:
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 05, 2015, 07:21:23 PM
CollectA Shunosaurus. This is pretty bad. If you go by nose-to-tail-tip length, this is 1:40, but the proportions are incredibly skewed (Shunosaurus was short-necked and short-tailed), so if you go by estimated mass or forelimb height, it comes out to more like 1:50-1:60. I think Safari could and should do a beautiful rendition of this animal.

;)  I agree Safari could do a great Shunosaurus, although I'd really like one from Dan for Battat too, as I said in the topic for additional Battat dinosaurs a few days ago.

tyrantqueen

I'm thinking that maybe it might be time to create a new sculpt for the Acrocanthosaurus, or at least heavily retool it. It has always had issues with standing, but now it's really bad. It's a gorgeous sculpt but it really should be able to stand on its own two feet.

My own original Battat Acro had issues standing. Did anyone else's?

Gwangi

Quote from: loru1588 on August 18, 2015, 02:05:02 PM

Oh man, you had to buy the models you made? They didn't give you free samples? That's really cool that Target is doing away with genders in their toy section. I like that, and it also sounds like a reasonable explanation as to why some of these stores are lagging behind so much.

loru1588

"I'm thinking that maybe it might be time to create a new sculpt for the Acrocanthosaurus, or at least heavily retool it. It has always had issues with standing, but now it's really bad. It's a gorgeous sculpt but it really should be able to stand on its own two feet.My own original Battat Acro had issues standing. Did anyone else's?"

]Again I'll state that the repaints , I believe, are repainted stock from the original MOS Series that had been warehoused and that's why they are in the softer plastic. That's the reason the originals didn't stand properly in some cases and that's the problem now. As far as retooling goes, once the original inventory is depleted I have a 2nd set of original resins that will be used to make NEW molds for the series. Hopefully, my health holds up and I will be able to give all the series dinos an upgrade to modern day visions of these critters ( feathers, move nostrils, lengthen skulls, shorten arms, etc.)

"Oh man, you had to buy the models you made? They didn't give you free samples? That's really cool that Target is doing away with genders in their toy section. I like that, and it also sounds like a reasonable explanation as to why some of these stores are lagging behind so much."  I'll get my samples in time!!LOL! I just wanted to have a set now so I could answer any questions about the pieces while having them in my possession. Yeah, Target revamping their toy dept. is most likely the culprit behing the lag in getting inventory. The store I went to Sunday had a lot of empty shelf space all around.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm happy the acro stands on its own. When I bought my rex it was leaning on its snout, but he looks perfect leaning on the neck of the WS edmontosaurus (replacing the WS rex on my shelf). The un-gendering of the toy aisles was a very good decision on Target's part as well. Dinosaur toys are not just for male children/children at heart.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

If they let you retool the Galimimus and Utahraptor, please let us know ahead of time because i want the most accurate version and i dont want doubles of the same species

loru1588

Quote from: Takama on August 19, 2015, 02:10:09 AM
If they let you retool the Galimimus and Utahraptor, please let us know ahead of time because i want the most accurate version and i dont want doubles of the same species

It will be a while. I have to catch up with the Terra Series 1st. Then we'll see what happens . I have ides on some of the reissued MOS models also to make things a bit more interesting.

Takama

Patrx

Takama

Quote from: Patrx on August 19, 2015, 05:38:27 AM
Quote from: Takama on August 19, 2015, 04:33:15 AM
Your not going to feather the T.Rex are you?

Quite frankly, that would be fantastic.

For you, it would.

But I limit myself to one Model per species per collection. and i alredy have the un Featherd version, and i be torn at the fact that i wont be able to get the more accurate featherd version.

pylraster

I hope the T.rex would not be feathered. Just to see it with sharper details and possibly correct the uneven eyes, that would be great. Glad to know that they might be cast in harder, Terra plastic next time.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: