You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Paleona on August 27, 2015, 02:13:16 PM
Quote from: Victoria B on August 27, 2015, 06:09:47 AM
Is anyone else's Acro leaning this badly? The left arm is tucked inward like it's being held in a cast. One of my YouTube subscribers sent me a photo of theirs and it looks like theirs has a straighter arm that allows it to balance on its front claws.

Ha, that was me!  :))  I'm going to agree with the others and say that you might want to try the hot water trick... it might work pretty well since the plastic is so pliable already.

Well hey! Haha, that's awesome. :)

I'm going to see about exchanging it I suppose. I've done the hot water thing with other toys with limited success. If fewer of them are like this than the ones that balance on the claw, it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Takama

I normally use a Hairdryer to reform my figures.   I dont trust hot water

Sim

I was reading about evidence suggesting Stegosaurus would have cheeks (they grinded their food, the inset placement of their teeth).  I tried to see if the Battat Stegosaurus has cheeks, but I couldn't tell for sure from photos.  So I thought I'd mention it here in case it's something a Stego retool could benefit from, which hasn't already been thought of.

Paleona, I thought your Tyrannosaurus was wielding the sword when I first saw it!  I too was thinking of hot tap water rather than boiling water (I've never tried boiling water).  I have used a hair dryer in the past although at times it has melted, permanently curled or even cracked parts of plastic figures.  I think I was using the hottest setting but it has put me off using a hair dryer for this...

Gwangi

Quote from: joossa on August 27, 2015, 09:16:42 PM
How about using a hair drier instead of water?

Gwangi, I love your new avatar!  ;)

Thanks! I'm not a big Schleich fan but for some reason I've always loved that creepy Allosaurus model. And now I have it!

Fembrogon

SCORE TODAY!!!

My nearest Target had one of each, so I nabbed them!
To my surprise, all three seemed to be labelled under the "small dinosaur" label, since they each cost $5.99 (woo-hoo!). I don't remember if it's been mentioned before, but these figures are made of soft plastic like the Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus; due to the size and sculpt, though, I don't expect these smaller figures to have balancing issues.

The Amargasaurus is a delightful figure. I wasn't desiring it as much as others, since I already had Carnegie's splendid version, but the Battat figure easily holds it's own. It has a nice personality to it, and the color scheme is modest but still eye-catching.
Amarga 1, Amarga 2, Amarga 3, Amarga 4, Amarga Battat/Carnegie 1, Amarga Battat/Carnegie 2, Amarga Battat/Carnegie 3.
Ceratosaurus is interesting for me; it's the only figure I actually beheld first-hand as a kid, so I feel a little strange regarding this new release. The sculpt is excellent, that's for sure (save the right hand) - I particularly like the big, spooky eyes - it's just that, it's now painted with the Carnotaurus's old paint scheme, and that's throwing me for a loop. I also can't help but be reminded of the color schemes on JP toys and similar knockoff lines. Mind you, it's not a bad color scheme; it's just a little too familiar.
Cerato 1, Cerato 2, Cerato 3, Cerato 4, Cerato Battat/Safari 1, Cerato Battat/Safari 2.
I'm perhaps most pleased to have the Carnotaurus, as this is my first regularly sized (quality)figure of the genus. While Ceratosaurus reminds me of JP with its color scheme, the Carnotaurus's new scheme has a striking Carnegie look to it (which is not a bad thing). Carno's sculpt is, again, great; but I'm inclined to say it's also the weakest of the three, due only to how the left side of the face looks warped from head on. That's my only complaint, though. Also, there's nothing wrong with my figure's toes.  ;)
Carno 1, Carno 2, Carno 3, Carno 4.

I don't know if I have a favorite of this set; all three are great figures which I've been anticipating - and now am reacting to - in different ways. Frankly, I'm just stoked to be bulding a "classic" Battat Collection!!

Gwangi

I also recently acquired these three Battat figures. Personally, the Carnotaurus is my favorite of the bunch, right after the Tyrannosaurus. The paint application is much better than that on the Amargasaurus and Ceratosaurus. The later two I always considered the weakest of the Battat figures but a weak Battat is still better than most. Having them in hand now I can see it is the sloppy glossy paint that "ruins" these two figures. It really distracts your attention from and hides the awesome detail of these two models. This applies for the original models too though. Like Fembrogon said, I'm just excited that I can finally build up a Battat collection...without breaking bank!

Paleona

Sim- I've been considering manipulating the sword a bit to make it look more like he's holding it, haha.

And congrats on your haul, Fembrogon. :)  I was very much considering buying the Carno, but ended up passing because of the warped face.  :-\  I might cave and buy one sooner or later, though, because it is still pretty nice and I don't have any other figures of it!

Takama

I got bourd one time and decided to photograph the heads of all the Battat Dinosaurs

And i noticed THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME COLOR EYES :o     Dont all animals have a Different color eyes depending on species?

Ichthyosaur

Finally found the rest of what is out today!  Caught up for the time being.  I'm assuming the Stego, Euoplo,  and Para will be next since they're the only others currently on the official Terra site...

"The Age of Reptiles" Rudolph Franz Zallinger 1947

Victoria's Cantina

The Carnotaur's paint scheme reminds me a bit of the Dinamation T-Rex.

Sim

Quote from: Takama on August 28, 2015, 01:41:45 AM
I got bourd one time and decided to photograph the heads of all the Battat Dinosaurs

And i noticed THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME COLOR EYES :o     Dont all animals have a Different color eyes depending on species?

I really like their expressions, they look natural.  There's a lot of different eye colours among animals, but different species don't always have different eye colours.  E.g.:

Members of the same species can also have different eye colours, e.g. humans.  The Saddle-billed stork has a different eye colour depending on its gender: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle-billed_stork

Sometimes it seems different shades of yellow are used for the eyes of Battat Terra dinosaurs.  I think I might be seeing this in your photos too..  The same/similar eye colour being used doesn't bother me though, as the colour choice looks nice and I've got prehistoric figures by other companies that have the same eye colour too.

By the way, where's Nanshiungosaurus? ;)

Takama

Added the Nashiungosaurus.   

Pachyrhinosaurus

I think the consistent eye color sort of unifies them as a set sort of like how all (or almost all) of the Carnegies have gold eyes.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Shuvuuia

So a few pages back I expressed surprise that my local city target in Boston charged 13.99 for the large Terra dinosaurs that are 9.99 elsewhere. Well, while on vacation in Seattle I happened to be in a target and figured I'd check the Terras. To my amazement the large Terras (T. rex and Acro) are priced at an astounding 15.99! Amazing that the price has nearly doubled from the base price.

tanystropheus

When are the Diplodocus, Styracosaurus and Nasutoceratops coming out?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Shuvuuia on August 29, 2015, 04:57:54 AM
So a few pages back I expressed surprise that my local city target in Boston charged 13.99 for the large Terra dinosaurs that are 9.99 elsewhere. Well, while on vacation in Seattle I happened to be in a target and figured I'd check the Terras. To my amazement the large Terras (T. rex and Acro) are priced at an astounding 15.99! Amazing that the price has nearly doubled from the base price.
It's pretty common for Target and Walmart to alternate prices, but its normally due to competition with each other Marden's and Toys R Us so it's strange they would do it for an exclusive.

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 29, 2015, 05:35:08 AM
Quote from: Shuvuuia on August 29, 2015, 04:57:54 AM
It's pretty common for Target and Walmart to alternate prices, but its normally due to competition with each other Marden's and Toys R Us so it's strange they would do it for an exclusive.

I think some of it might be location-specific overhead. In downtown Chicago, they're a couple of bucks more, but if you go a mile south the large figures are $9.99. The downtown location is smaller, housed in a very expensive building next to the Macy's flagship store, and probably doesn't sell as many toys as the southern one. I imagine all those factors affect the price. I noticed that the JW raptor 4-pack, while being $34.99 at the southern location, was a staggering $42.99 at the downtown store.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tanystropheus

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 29, 2015, 05:09:52 AM

Sorry buddy, it seems that no one in the forums knows. Try asking the question again 3 months later  ;)

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 29, 2015, 06:33:14 PM

Sorry buddy, it seems that no one in the forums knows. Try asking the question again 3 months later  ;)

All we know for sure is that Gigantoraptor and Gastonia are coming out "sometime this fall".

tanystropheus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 30, 2015, 05:45:14 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on August 29, 2015, 06:33:14 PM

All we know for sure is that Gigantoraptor and Gastonia are coming out "sometime this fall".

Cool. Thanks for reminding me, the Gigantoraptor is a must-have.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: