News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 17, 2015, 10:15:05 PM
oh so Im not the only one who's noticed the acrocantho looks like charcaro. I hope Collecta isnt starting to develop Carnegie style same-iness for their theropods...

This created a little firestorm of controversy awhile back.  If I remember correctly, the final results were:

The Collecta Acro. and the Carcharo. are NOT made from the same, recycled, mold.

They are similar in appearance and pose because they were similar, related, animals and the sculptor chose a somewhat similar pose for each.

Shadowknight1

I was one of the ones that first saw the similarities, and there are numerous, but not enough to shout that it's the same mold with a taller spine.

That still doesn't excuse the inaccuracy of the spine.  Mainly the neck verterbrae.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

What ? For real i just realised that  :-[ because someone in fb posting a photo of acro and charca collecta figure side by side they looks little bit similiar for me

Quote from: Simon on July 17, 2015, 11:28:10 PM
If i remember correctly, the final results were:

The Collecta Acro. and the Carcharo. are NOT made from the same, recycled, mold.

They are similar in appearance and pose because they were similar, related, animals and the sculptor chose a somewhat similar pose for each.

Okay thanks

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ARUL on July 18, 2015, 02:36:21 AM
What ? For real i just realised that  :-[ because someone in fb posting a photo of acro and charca collecta figure side by side they looks little bit similiar for me

Quote from: Simon on July 17, 2015, 11:28:10 PM
If i remember correctly, the final results were:

Okay thanks

No insult intended ARUL, I was mostly face palming the previously mentioned firestorm we waded through and the chance of it re-igniting again. Sorry bud.

joossa

Some Ebay seller has it available. It looks like this, the feathered rex, and the carcharodontosaurus have very similar feet.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

oh so Im not the only one who's noticed the acrocantho looks like charcaro. I hope Collecta isnt starting to develop Carnegie style same-iness for their theropods...
:) :) :) :) not just theropods either.......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 18, 2015, 06:06:19 AM

Arul

Ohh no no didnt mean to re-igniting or else, sorry i just telling my opinion because im not always following every discussion about collecta here in this forum

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ARUL on July 18, 2015, 06:33:02 AM
Ohh no no didnt mean to re-igniting or else, sorry i just telling my opinion because im not always following every discussion about collecta here in this forum

No worries at all then bud.  I just had to give Amargasaurus the Worf one I found..yeah I'm a bit of a closet Trekkie... lol

amargasaurus cazaui

Lol, its all good, not going to say anything else....I could not resist.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Sorry if I also added anything to the confusion...I was just teasing with the slowpoke thing. No offense intended :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's nice when we can have a bit of fun without all heck breaking loose.. heh heh

terrorchicken

oh which others? ? or...maybe I shouldnt ask.  :P

I do like the acrocantho but I already have the Battat one so Im passing on it. I do wish companies would try other standing poses for theropods. Like looking down or looking to the side or running(with a based attached.)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 19, 2015, 09:22:34 PM

I do like the acrocantho but I already have the Battat one so Im passing on it. I do wish companies would try other standing poses for theropods. Like looking down or looking to the side or running(with a based attached.)

You'll find many of us here feel the same way..but looking at it from a company's perspective you'll see why we rarely get anything different.  Running and other unstable poses make for a figure that won't stand on a store shelf and doesn't display well. You make the tail turned down, widen the stance collector's complain it's not accurate. So you add a base which is fine for collectors as it sits on a shelf most o the time. Kid's however don't want based figures as it gets in the way of their play and just looks " wrong
' to them...or so I've been told.  So what does a company do? You sacrifice one aspect or the other.

When it comes to different poses it's the same deal. You make a tyrannosaurus right?  Collectors have seen it all before and they want ones sitting, looking down, feeding, ect.. kids want standing upright, looking forward and intent, mouth open so they can stick other toys in there like it's eating them. I have backward looking sauropods in the shop here and kids aren't as interested in them nearly as much as forward facing ones..but curved necks and tails fit better into boxes.. lol  This is a whole discussion unto itself but hopefully the overview helps.

tanystropheus

Quote from: joossa on July 18, 2015, 05:35:11 AM
Some Ebay seller has it available. It looks like this, the feathered rex, and the carcharodontosaurus have very similar feet.

In general, I am not a fan of the CollectA color scheme, although most people love them.

However, I love the paint job on this model, but most people hate it. Go figure.

I think their Acro looks a lot better than their Carchar, but most people seem to prefer their Carchar.

Concavenator

Has anyone got a real life pic of the new Spinosaurus figures?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Concavenator on July 19, 2015, 11:52:10 PM
Has anyone got a real life pic of the new Spinosaurus figures?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Appalachiosaurus

Does anyone know the scales of the three Spinosaurs?

suspsy

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 19, 2015, 09:22:34 PM

Comb through the thread and see for yourself if you're really that curious. Suffice it to say, this is a dead issue.

QuoteI do like the acrocantho but I already have the Battat one so Im passing on it. I do wish companies would try other standing poses for theropods. Like looking down or looking to the side or running(with a based attached.)

You mean like this? :)

http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/07/13/tyrannosaurus-rex-feathered-deluxe-by-collecta/

A full on running theropod figure would absolutely be cool, but unless it were made of really dense plastic, there'd probably be a tendency for it to sag over time.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on July 20, 2015, 12:36:16 AM
Does anyone know the scales of the three Spinosaurs?
The scales look pretty crocodilian to me...  ;D
The catalog says that the big spinosaurus is 1:40 I don't have measurements for the other two but if I had to guess it would be 1:60.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: