News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minmiminime

Looks like the Killer Queen has landed on eBay! I have to hand it to Rebor, they're again recommending that customers do not buy it at this inflated price https://www.facebook.com/555146104612402/posts/1943240232469642?sfns=mo
I'm pleased that she's only really going to cost £35-40 and have her reserved at ED 😊
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Some online stores speculate and inflate prices for figures that will be available in the online market or online stores for a much cheaper price. It's not worth it to hurry. For that price I bought almost the first part of Collecta dinosaurs for example.

The good sign is that soon in 30 or 35 days these figures will be available in the market. I'll wait for what it takes before I buy those figures on eBay, then they deliver it to you with delay as happened to the PNSO amargasaurus that they are sending back to me after a claim to Paypal. I even think that those tyrannosaurus rex "Queen Assassin" figures are not really available in that store, maybe the desire to buy it is only preordering that Rebor dinosaur and it will have to wait a lot longer than you imagine. It is not advisable to buy new dinosaur figures from speculative stores at inflated prices.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Can I ask why Rebor has its own subsection?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2019, 03:59:04 AM
It's supposed to be a baby JP Raptor..I'm betting Blue.

Rebor continues their trend of announcing 20 items and producing maybe 4 a year.. lol

Rebor did say Way WAAAAAY Back that they were only Producing 5 items per year. this was back in 2014 with the release of there (Then Controversial)Yutyrannus, and when they still had a presence on the forum.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on February 23, 2019, 04:41:15 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2019, 03:59:04 AM
It's supposed to be a baby JP Raptor..I'm betting Blue.

Rebor continues their trend of announcing 20 items and producing maybe 4 a year.. lol

Rebor did say Way WAAAAAY Back that they were only Producing 5 items per year. this was back in 2014 with the release of there (Then Controversial)Yutyrannus, and when they still had a presence on the forum.

That was around the same time they said tey would also produce an accurate Yutyrannus if I recall.  They've announced enough new product so far for years ahead.

Minmiminime

Breaking my own rules here because I really have 0 interest on this, but it's news and some members will, so hey! Looks like they're ploughing ahead with the baby 'raptor, the prototype has already been produced:

https://www.facebook.com/555146104612402/posts/1947810938679238/

I wonder if they're going to release the Grab n Go line in a batch? I remain hopeful for that Spinosaurus
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Syndicate Bias

-_- priorities

They really need to stop prioritising the same products over and over.

Minmiminime

I know 🙄 They preview some really awesome stuff then it disappears into oblivion, and this suddenly pops up and takes priority!! Anyway. Plenty of other figures to keep us occupied! 😊

Shonisaurus

Rebor would need to make unprecedented dinosaur figures other than those theropods like the tyrannosaurus rex and the velociraptor has made Rebor many versions of those two dinosaurs. I know positively that people like them and that they are pretty but it would also be appreciated if they did the expected titanoboa and the sarcosuchus imperator and deinosuchus. Those are highly anticipated figures as far as I'm concerned.

Dino Scream3232

Rebor just answered a lot of questions on their Facebook page concerning some of their announced models.

REBOR Facebook statement on up coming models

Now let's talk about the giant prehistoric crocodile in the room - where are Meta and Lica and all other REBOR announcements? Where are they and why haven't they been released yet???

The answer is quite simple - their steel moulds cost too much and most importantly we couldn't figure out how to stop bootleggers from nicking our sculpts so we deem these projects unprofitable. Yes that's right knockoff figures has been severely damaging our business since 2016 and this is much worse than you could have imagined, REBOR releases are now priority targets on bootleggers evil list and we are pretty sure that they want us to release these figures even more than you do.

You may say "hey I never bought any knockoff REBOR figures!" We really appreciate this but please understand that you are not speaking for everyone, bootleggers are keep making knockoff figures because people buy them and it's a very profitable business. We'll have to spend tens of thousands of pounds on design& developments, well constructed steel moulds, CE standard materials and complex manufacturing process to deliver high quality products, nothing comes for free, even packagings cost a fortune; however bootleggers can reduce these costs to 1/5 by using poorly made lead moulds and recycled medical waste, also please remember that they don't need to spend anything on developing prototype sculpts since those are directly stolen from us. Lots of people are still buying these knockoff figures simply because they are cheaper and they don't seem to care about their heath or quality of items they are getting. This is a war we cannot win.

Some of you didn't like the idea of bendable tails, believe or not it's actually our attempt at trying to stop bootleggers from making knockoff figures too similar to authentic REBOR figures. Although wire inserted tails cost more than solid PVC tails in both mould making and manufacturing and we have to cut our own profits to keep prices of these new products stay at the same level as before so people won't call us greedy, but it still worth it as long as such design can slow bootleggers down or at least give them some troubles. That's how much we hate bootleggers.

Now back to Meta and Lica, no they are not cancelled but will be released as part of the GRAB N GO line. The purpose of REBOR GARB N GO line is not suppose to be scientifically accurate but to make our figures more affordable. Costs of Vinyl figures are a lot more cheaper than their PVC counterparts' which means we now can release them at very low prices. You probably haven't realised how much this change meant to us - now price differences between authentic and knockoff REBOR figures are much smaller than before so more people will have more reasons to choose the former and reject the latter. In short, this is our ultimate weapon against bootleggers and the only way to survive and prosper.

One more thing we would like to explain - some people complaint that we announce like 20 new products a year but only release 5 of them. well it takes us less than a month to finish a new sculpt however mould making and manufacturing usually take 6-12 months so do the math and you'll see why. We just thought it's better to keep you guys entertained with something during the wait otherwise this page will become very quiet throughout the whole year ;)

Now time to answer some of the most asked questions!

Q: Where is REBOR 1:35 scale Triceratops horridus King Trident?
A: We tired too hard on solving the ball jointed neck and given the mould too many changes, now the mould is broken and we have to start from scratch again...

Q: Where is REBOR 1:35 Dilophosaurus?
A: Official photos will be revealed in April and actual products will be released in June.

Q:Where is Titanoboa?
A: We've tried more than 10 different soft materials but could't find one that won't crack in summer so the project has been postponed.

Q: Where is REBOR 1:35 stegosaurus armatus?
A: Currently in the mould making process, definitely will happen this year.

Q: Where are REBOR GRAB N GO T-rex and Spinosaurus?
A: Moulds will be finished in April.

Ceratosaurus

Some of this is definitely disappointing but I appreciate them coming forward with this information. I wish they'd give updates more often and hopefully this continues more in the future.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

tanystropheus

The last REBOR FB post has been incredibly transparent, even more than what we are accustomed to hearing from dinosaur companies. I think we should applaud REBOR's communication efforts with respect to their growing product line.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very interesting.  They obviously still check out the forum here..lol

I'm not sure that bootlegging is that huge a problem for Rebor, I think I've only seen a knockoff of the dead Tenontosaurus? Maybe the Acro?  Not siding with bootleggers just saying it sounds a bit like an excuse to me. A giant snake and a Croc doesn't like bootlegger fodder either.  It's kinda ironic too considering the Jurassic Park replicas they have produced.. lol

The move to hollow vinyl is very much a move on their part to mimic PNSO's business plan, I'm good with it as I like big hollow figures.

QuoteOne more thing we would like to explain - some people complaint that we announce like 20 new products a year but only release 5 of them. well it takes us less than a month to finish a new sculpt however mould making and manufacturing usually take 6-12 months so do the math and you'll see why. We just thought it's better to keep you guys entertained with something during the wait otherwise this page will become very quiet throughout the whole year ;)

I admit to their being some truth here, you have to keep pumping out fresh content or people just get bored and forget about you. Images of the different processes or videos even would be nice instead of just announcing new things that are a year or more off.

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2019, 01:41:54 AM
I'm not sure that bootlegging is that huge a problem for Rebor, I think I've only seen a knockoff of the dead Tenontosaurus? Maybe the Acro?  Not siding with bootleggers just saying it sounds a bit like an excuse to me.
Pretty much all Rebor's regular line products have been bootlegged in China in some way or form. TaoBao is a goldmine for those lumps of toxic plastic.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 27, 2019, 12:06:43 AM
The last REBOR FB post has been incredibly transparent, even more than what we are accustomed to hearing from dinosaur companies. I think we should applaud REBOR's communication efforts with respect to their growing product line.
Heck, it's more transparent than REBOR's ever been.  Shame about some of this stuff especially since they're having to start from scratch again on the King Trident.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

stargatedalek

This statement is frankly near comically unaware.

For one, they have no one to blame but themselves for being such a target for bootleggers. If you don't want someone to copy your sculpt and sell it as "JURASSIC WORLD T-REX DINO FUN TOY CHEAP!!" than maybe don't make products that are glorified Jurassic Park IP theft in the first place? There is a reason REBOR stuff gets copied so quickly meanwhile bootleggers are 3 years behind on Safari ltd. and CollectA, and it's because REBOR products are the plastic equivalent of clickbait. There, I said it, and I stand by it.

Want proof? Their Deinonychus, which are pseudo-accurate, have yet to be widely bootlegged. Even the Yutyrannus and Dimorphodon have barely been touched in comparison to their JP models.

Secondly, tens of thousands of pounds for sculpting costs? Molds? Maybe, I genuinely wouldn't know, but there is no way REBOR is contracting their sculpts when they're all so stylistically similar and have been so from the start. I would be surprised if more than one sculptor works for them, let alone if any of the sculpts are done on a contract basis.

They are a niche company that makes collectibles, and perhaps they aren't realizing this. Bootleg companies selling cheap toy copies are going to make more money yes, but there is no reason to assume this would cut into REBORs original profits. Other than people buying them for customization, it's hard to picture serious collectors buying these bootleg products if they had access to the real article. This feels a lot more like "we see other people wrongly making more money than us, and it hurts our feelings" than "these people are stealing our business".

And its fine to be upset about that, it's a completely justified thing to have hurt feelings over, but what's not fine is to just assume those profits would have gone to you, and then act out and blame your consumers for that. Kids buying $5 REBOR bootlegs would never have bought the $100 original, and to assume otherwise is frankly petty. If they've lost business over time it's probably because they turned away more generalized collectors when they doubled down on JP theft, and the JP crowd has finally had good licensed merchandise to turn to lately.

There is no evidence for any of these bootlegs being made of discarded medical waste. Yes, bootlegging is bad, but such a boldfaced accusation with absolutely no evidence to back it up is worth calling out. If we accept lies about things we already think are bad, that sets a dangerous precedent.

I don't think misrepresenting what's happened to them and making lies is something worthy of praise. What is worthy of praise however, is how the ultimate production end response has been carried out in choosing to focus on more accessible materials and cost to widen their availability to consumers. I've already mentioned that I'm glad they've started this new line, as their products were simply not financially competitive.

As for the Titanoboa, that's both a shame as it's their only model I was really looking forward to that had any chance of releasing this decade, and a bit hard to believe. I can walk to the nearest dollar store and buy some cheap bendable plastic whatever, and it's not going to be spectacular, but it's sure not going to crack in mild heat. And lets not forget every line from Jurassic Park to Safari ltd. has done some bendy figure at one point or another, surely it can't be that hard to find what material they're made from?

tanystropheus

I'm not sure that bootlegging is that huge a problem for Rebor, I think I've only seen a knockoff of the dead Tenontosaurus? Maybe the Acro? 

Bootlegs of REBOR are ubiquitous.  I always come across knock-offs of their raptors, blind bags, Acro, Cerato and so forth.

They are very rapidly approaching the rates of Papo knock-offs.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2019, 03:35:24 AM

I don't think misrepresenting what's happened to them and making lies is something worthy of praise. What is worthy of praise however, is how the ultimate production end response has been carried out in choosing to focus on more accessible materials and cost to widen their availability to consumers. I've already mentioned that I'm glad they've started this new line, as their products were simply not financially competitive.

Their Grab N' Go line has all the ingredients of success. Cheap enough to thwart counterfeit products. Aesthetic and Scientifically repurposed, as well.

To be honest, I hope they succeed but REBOR has very stiff competition from Papo, Vitae, PNSO and Eofauna.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 27, 2019, 04:07:04 AM

I'm not sure that bootlegging is that huge a problem for Rebor, I think I've only seen a knockoff of the dead Tenontosaurus? Maybe the Acro? 

Bootlegs of REBOR are ubiquitous.  I always come across knock-offs of their raptors, blind bags, Acro, Cerato and so forth.

Quote from: Flaffy on February 27, 2019, 02:01:12 AM
I'm not sure that bootlegging is that huge a problem for Rebor, I think I've only seen a knockoff of the dead Tenontosaurus? Maybe the Acro?  Not siding with bootleggers just saying it sounds a bit like an excuse to me.
Pretty much all Rebor's regular line products have been bootlegged in China in some way or form. TaoBao is a goldmine for those lumps of toxic plastic.

Guess I'm just not on those same sites or doing those searches. Schleich I get they have a lot of knockoffs. Most chinasaurs I see are from molds fifty years or more old like Marx or they are actually new sculpts..maybe based on existing ones, but still new like Boley.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 27, 2019, 04:11:37 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2019, 03:35:24 AM

Their Grab N' Go line has all the ingredients of success. Cheap enough to thwart counterfeit products. Aesthetic and Scientifically repurposed, as well.

I don't know....if it can be copied and offered cheaper someone will do it.  What's " Scientifically Repurposed " about it? They aren't all accurate as the Baby Raptor proves.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: