You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 22, 2018, 05:41:59 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 22, 2018, 02:53:49 PM

My new pictures about the Desert Environment accessory pack:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/sets/72157690869691491

:)

:o How did you get yours already? I'm 350 km from the warehouse and I'm still waiting!

..I'm quite surprised too..  ???
Usually shipments from USA take a month or so.  ::)
This time I was lucky.  ;)

Halichoeres

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 22, 2018, 05:47:27 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 22, 2018, 05:41:59 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 22, 2018, 02:53:49 PM

My new pictures about the Desert Environment accessory pack:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/sets/72157690869691491

:o How did you get yours already? I'm 350 km from the warehouse and I'm still waiting!

..I'm quite surprised too..  ???
Usually shipments from USA take a month or so.  ::)
This time I was lucky.  ;)

Well, I'm very happy for you! With luck I will have mine today.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Georassic

I'm still awaiting arrival of my wetlands pack, but I didn't place my order until October. I think they're being fulfilled in chronological order.

Runan

A few more pics of my B-a-Rs...sorry about the photo quality, I took them with my phone in bad lighting.

Abbinormally

Thank you for sharing!!! They look awesome, I'm supposed to get mine this Thursday but other people's photos help sate my raptorine desires in the meantime.  :))

Faelrin

Nice pictures everyone. I'll probably check out the videos tomorrow though.

Also anyone planning to do reviews for the blog of the Desert Environment pack and Amber Nestlings? If not should I go ahead and write up reviews for those? Figured I'd ask here since I know plenty are still waiting to receive their figures, and I don't want to hog up the opportunities to write reviews on these for the blog, especially considering I already did one for the Mountain Environment pack already.

@Sim I used the hair dryer method on mine. I had the highest setting on it briefly, and it did get soft like clay. I was very careful with reshaping it, since it was my first time doing something like this, and it probably helps that I have such small child like hands too. It did get the job done, but the other method sounds like a good idea. I have no experience trying that method, but it sounds like it is a gentler method? Hopefully you won't have to deal with a warped head at all though. Same goes for anyone else waiting to get their Desert pack.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

paintingdinos

Got mine in the mail today!

The excitement is too real. Overall I'm very impressed- only thing I'm a little disappointed in is how loose some of the joints are on the smaller raptors in the accessory packs. Several of them have arms/wings that pop out even with gentle handling, which is a bit annoying (but survivable!)

Moodyraptor

Wow, the Build-a-Raptor looks AMAZING, more excited than ever for my raptors to arrive  :D

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on January 23, 2018, 03:16:32 AM
Nice pictures everyone. I'll probably check out the videos tomorrow though.

Also anyone planning to do reviews for the blog of the Desert Environment pack and Amber Nestlings? If not should I go ahead and write up reviews for those? Figured I'd ask here since I know plenty are still waiting to receive their figures, and I don't want to hog up the opportunities to write reviews on these for the blog, especially considering I already did one for the Mountain Environment pack already.

I'd been thinking about reviewing the desert pack, though not the nestlings. However, I won't be heartbroken if you beat me to it, as I have the wetland pack to play around with too.

Speaking of, I only just got mine yesterday. I don't think it's chronological, as I backed early and I added the accessory packs as soon as they were available to do so. I recently moved from Chicago, where many major US shipping routes converge, to a much smaller city. Thus, my shipment took the following tortuous path to traverse the short distance between me and the warehouse (which takes 3.5 hours if driving directly):

It took an entire week to complete the 3.5 hour journey.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LeapingLaelaps

Some of my stuff came today! I got the amber nestlings, black nestlings and desert accessory pack and I've got the grey nestlings, other three accessory packs and BaR set A coming hopefully tomorrow.

I was going to change some parts on the nestlings (pretty sure you can do that?) but after tugging on one of the heads a little bit I was nervous about breaking it so I stopped. :P

Also, they're bigger than I expected! For some reason I pictured them being smaller, I was pleasantly surprised with the size of stuff, especially the skull piece.

Jose S.M.

Nice photos, love the one of the Mononykus standing in the skull. Looks like your Mononykus is free from the warping problem some have had on it's lower jaw.

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on January 23, 2018, 03:16:32 AM
@Sim I used the hair dryer method on mine. I had the highest setting on it briefly, and it did get soft like clay. I was very careful with reshaping it, since it was my first time doing something like this, and it probably helps that I have such small child like hands too. It did get the job done, but the other method sounds like a good idea. I have no experience trying that method, but it sounds like it is a gentler method? Hopefully you won't have to deal with a warped head at all though. Same goes for anyone else waiting to get their Desert pack.

Years ago I used a blow dryer on the hottest setting to heat parts of figures up when they had some warping I wanted to get rid of.  From what I remember, most times it didn't damage the figures.  However, on a few occasions it did damage the figures.  Different figures suffered the following from the blow dryer's hot air: a toe melting, a part of the snout splitting(!), and thin projecting parts permanently curling.  I haven't used a blow dryer on figures for years now, and I can't imagine I will ever again due to the risk that exists.  I've only used the hot water to get rid of warping on one occasion and it did without any damage to the figure.  It's a method to get rid of warping I'd be willing to try again if necessary.  I can't say I know if hot water is a gentler method than hot air, but I have a feeling it is, especially if the water isn't boiling while the figure is in it.  With the hot air, in addition to heat the figure will also be receiving pressure in the form of the air that's being blown.  In any case I think the parts of figures that will be most at risk are parts that are thinner/smaller.

Patrx

I've gotten my Microraptor/Forest set, and it's great overall - but somehow, the hole in the bottom of the foot which is apparently meant to affix it to the little pins doesn't seem to be deep enough to work properly. Anybody else having this problem?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Patrx on January 24, 2018, 09:50:57 PM
I've gotten my Microraptor/Forest set, and it's great overall - but somehow, the hole in the bottom of the foot which is apparently meant to affix it to the little pins doesn't seem to be deep enough to work properly. Anybody else having this problem?

I had the same problem with my Mononykus.
Then I saw that the hole in the foot it's not aligned with the foot's base but it's oblique.
You have to put the pin into the foot with a certain angle and the pin will fit the hole perfectly.
My Mononykus works that way....

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 24, 2018, 10:07:45 PM
Quote from: Patrx on January 24, 2018, 09:50:57 PM

I had the same problem with my Mononykus.
Then I saw that the hole in the foot it's not aligned with the foot's base but it's oblique.
You have to put the pin into the foot with a certain angle and the pin will fit the hole perfectly.
My Mononykus works that way....

I had issues with one of my hatchlings, it's like the hole is at an angle almost and you have to insert the peg a certain way, it's strange.

Faelrin

@Halichoeres I think I will do the Amber Nestlings review this weekend then. I think you should go ahead with the Desert pack review.

@Sim Thanks for that information, and sharing your experiences. I think what you described makes sense. I suppose if I find myself with another warped thing, I'll try the water method in the future. Again, hopefully you won't have to run into that issue.

Ditto on the angle for the peg hole on the nestlings, and I think it is the same for the Mononykus and Troodon figures I have. Also nice pics everyone. Got to say I am tempted to get that Wetlands pack (although I did like it to begin with, but seeing the final version is a different thing). I bet it would look good with the Acheroraptor's base (which is one of the six larger raptors I ordered). Plus the Buitreraptor would go nicely alongside it, color wise (even if they didn't co-exist together). Edit: Tempted to get the Forest Pack too.

paintingdinos

Quote from: Faelrin on January 25, 2018, 12:33:33 AM
Ditto on the angle for the peg hole on the nestlings, and I think it is the same for the Mononykus and Troodon figures I have. Also nice pics everyone. Got to say I am tempted to get that Wetlands pack (although I did like it to begin with, but seeing the final version is a different thing). I bet it would look good with the Acheroraptor's base (which is one of the six larger raptors I ordered). Plus the Buitreraptor would go nicely alongside it, color wise (even if they didn't co-exist together). Edit: Tempted to get the Forest Pack too.

Want to chime in here and agree with the peg issue; changing the angle only barely helped get my nestlings on their bases. I had to really twist to get them on even half-way.

Also, only had this issue with one set, but the paint on the bases for my amber chicks has some issues with paint application. While trying to get the hatchling on the peg, the figure slipped and rubbed against the base, rubbing off all the paint in that area. I (lightly) rubbed another bit of the base with my finger and the paint chipped right off. Thankfully the base plastic color kinda matches with the desert theme/amber babies, so its not a huge deal. This is the only hatchling set I got, so I don't know if it's the same with others. Doesn't seem to be with the accessory packs thus far.

Faelrin

Think I've experienced the paint rub on the little bases too now that you mention it, at least for the Amber nestlings, and the Mononykus base, from putting them on the bases, since there are specks of that plastic color showing on them. Thankfully I haven't had that occur yet with the large bases, or in the case of my Mountain set's Troodon base.

LeapingLaelaps

Just got the rest of my stuff! Got the grey nestlings, mountains, wetlands and forest accessory packs and the BaR set A! Just a few complaints/things to note:

The hole on the Linheraptor head was too big to fit on to the body correctly, I pressed it on to the peg pretty hard but it just came right off. I also had issues with the primaries fitting to the hand (only tried the ones with the primaries that are spread apart, didn't try the big ones. There's like a little slot on the primaries where they fit into part of the hand and on one of the wings it's too big to fit? It's kinda strange. Also one of the primaries on the main figure was kinda bent, not that I'm going to use it but still.

A few issues getting the trees from the mountains and forest accessory packs together. For the mountains one, the trunk would barely fit into the top leaves, my mom had to grab it and twist it and push down to get it to go in. For the forest one I couldn't get the two tree leaf parts together, the peg on the bottom part was just too fat to go into the top part so I need to heat it up or trim it down and glue it or something.

The tail on my troodon was a little bit deformed and when I bent it, the paint on the underside seemed to split slightly and there was a bit of white paint on my fingers after handling it. Same with the microraptor, although I'm not sure where the paint on him came from.

I'm really happy with everything but I just thought I should mention those things.

paintingdinos

Playing around with the other b-a-r kit and the snowy accessory pack. The poor little Troodon met an unfortunate end!

These figures really are incredibly fun to pose and play with. A+ toys, thats for sure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: