News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kovu

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm hoping the missing sixth is a Medusaceratops. A Safari Medusa would be awesome!

1. Totally rocking name
2. Crazy cool headgear
3. While not exactly obscure, it's not exactly popular

Meso-Cenozoic

Thanks for the pic! Can't wait to see them all bigger and closer!! Since this was already in Prehistoric Times, wouldn't Dan be able to tell us now for sure what they are? Or is this still just a sneak peek pic to further wet our appetites? 8)

suspsy

I think you mean Doug, not Dan. And I'm sure he has good reason not to speak out on this just yet. Presumably he'll be able to divulge information on Tuesday.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Meso-Cenozoic

Yes, I did mean Doug! Oh my goodness!! I was just thinking about Dan when typing and...

Takama

I actually thought he was referring to Dan Liebman of Dans Dinosaurs.   I asked him about preordeing them and  he said is that they will be up for Preorder shortly.

I just sent an Email to see if he can Tell us what they are.

Doug Watson

The only entity at liberty to discuss the new pieces is Safari Ltd itself and they will do that with their official release. I can comment only after the official release. The PT ad is not the official release. So keep guessing.

John

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 16, 2015, 05:24:37 AM
The only entity at liberty to discuss the new pieces is Safari Ltd itself and they will do that with their official release. I can comment only after the official release. The PT ad is not the official release. So keep guessing.
For three of the five new models in the ad (the two theropods and iguanodont),I don't have to guess,I can tell exactly what they are down to the species. ;D
And I think I have a very good idea of what the other two are too.
We'll all find out soon enough. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Arul

Good point and lets hoping that this year gonna be a much better year than last year, their 2015 figure looks really good dont make any backward Safari  :o

Gwangi

Quote from: Arul on October 16, 2015, 10:46:21 AM

Good point and lets hoping that this year gonna be a much better year than last year, their 2015 figure looks really good dont make any backward Safari  :o

Doug sculpts the Safari line, I don't think we'll see the company regress as long as he's around.

amargasaurus cazaui

I still think the green therapod is Hererrasaurus, and the large Tyrannosaurid is possibly Lythronax (sp)? Noone else agrees the supposed sauropod looks like it has feathers ? Still betting thats a little russian dinosaur !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Kovu on October 16, 2015, 12:19:30 AM
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm hoping the missing sixth is a Medusaceratops. A Safari Medusa would be awesome!

1. Totally rocking name
2. Crazy cool headgear
3. While not exactly obscure, it's not exactly popular

As a medusaceratops would be fine. It would be my first medusaceratops quality, and Safari.

ItsTwentyBelow

Oh boy, every one of these looks like a winner for sure! Props to Mr. Watson! Excited for the close-ups! Wonder why a sixth new release is not pictured?

That is most assuredly NOT a Herrerasaurus. Its anatomical proportions do not match any reconstruction of the animal I have ever seen, and I don't doubt that Mr. Watson would nail Herrerasaurus, spot-on. I think it's a Masiakasaurus. Look at the teeth.

I don't see a tyrannosaurid anywhere... that big theropod is a carcharodontosaurid for sure. I'd guess Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus, or Carcharodontosaurus itself.

Not quite sure how you are seeing feathers in that small shot of the sauropod. From what I can tell, it looks scaly just like the Iguanodon next to it.

Halichoeres

Quote from: John on October 16, 2015, 06:02:10 AM
For three of the five new models in the ad (the two theropods and iguanodont),I don't have to guess,I can tell exactly what they are down to the species. ;D
I think you're probably right on most counts: I think Masiakasaurus, Iguanodon, Shunosaurus, and Dakosaurus are all pretty likely. Maybe the sauropod could be Dicraeosaurus, and maybe the metriorhynchid is some other genus. I'm curious, though, how you're so confident in the Carcharodontosaurus diagnosis. I have no idea how I'd reject, based on this photo, a Mapusaurus or a Giganotosaurus. I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious how you got there.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

John

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 16, 2015, 04:00:38 PM
I think you're probably right on most counts: I think Masiakasaurus, Iguanodon, Shunosaurus, and Dakosaurus are all pretty likely. Maybe the sauropod could be Dicraeosaurus, and maybe the metriorhynchid is some other genus. I'm curious, though, how you're so confident in the Carcharodontosaurus diagnosis. I have no idea how I'd reject, based on this photo, a Mapusaurus or a Giganotosaurus. I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious how you got there.
The bodies of the carcharodontosaurids mentioned all basically seem to have the same proportions,but the skulls of Mapusaurus,Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus aren't quite so interchangable as people here seem to thing they are.There are some differences in rugosities on the snout and lacrimal horn areas between the former two,and differences in the overall shape of the skull between the former two and Carcharodontosaurus.And from what I can see,the head is sculpted too precicely to be anything other than Carcharodontosaurus itself.  :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Concavenator

I'm absolutely sure that is Carcharodontosaurus.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: John on October 16, 2015, 07:16:43 PM
The bodies of the carcharodontosaurids mentioned all basically seem to have the same proportions,but the skulls of Mapusaurus,Giganotosaurus[/] and Carcharodontosaurus aren't quite so interchangable as people here seem to thing they are.There are some differences in rugosities on the snout and lacrimal horn areas between the former two,and differences in the overall shape of the skull between the former two and Carcharodontosaurus itself.And from what I can see,the head is sculpted too precicely to be anything other than Carcharodontosaurus itself. :)
Yeah, carcharodontosaurid heads are pretty distinctive, and the skull of Carcharodontosaurus is very different in shape from that of either Mapusaurus or Giganotosaurus. I am quite certain that the model represents Carcharodontosaurus.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Halichoeres

Interesting, thanks! I'll have to check out some skull diagrams.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Brontozaurus

Quote from: John on October 16, 2015, 07:16:43 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 16, 2015, 04:00:38 PM
The bodies of the carcharodontosaurids mentioned all basically seem to have the same proportions,but the skulls of Mapusaurus,Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus aren't quite so interchangable as people here seem to thing they are.There are some differences in rugosities on the snout and lacrimal horn areas between the former two,and differences in the overall shape of the skull between the former two and Carcharodontosaurus.And from what I can see,the head is sculpted too precicely to be anything other than Carcharodontosaurus itself.  :)

That's really interesting, didn't know that. Thanks! I was thinking that it might be Giganotosaurus, since the Carnegie version isn't being made anymore and so Safari wouldn't be competing with itself by releasing one, but if it's very definitely a carchar then never mind that.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

ItsTwentyBelow

I'm gonna go ahead and throw a curveball at this conversation, and speculate that the reason we have not yet seen a preview of an assumed sixth figure is because it's a more or less 1:40 scale sculpt of a hefty sauropod, and it takes up a whole page in the promo photos.

Guess we'll find out on the 20th.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

PREHISTORIC MAMMAL RE-RELEASE!!!! PREHISTORIC MAMMAL RE-RELEASE!!!! YAAAAYYY!!!

Sorry. Dinosaurs are certainly my first love, but since mammals get so little love, I tend to root for them a little harder than most.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: