News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Art inspired by figures

Started by Horridus, May 17, 2012, 06:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 29, 2015, 05:00:05 PM
People say that we're past the age of seeing sauropods as aquatic, yet every time I see sauropods near a body of water, at least one of them is partially submerged in it.

Just a little joke ;) Guess they're like elephants in that they like to take a dip every now and then.

Aquatic sauropods? Never hear of that before, What a crazy thing!!!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just look at my avatar
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Sim

I linked to this in the Carnegie Collection thread some time ago - I think it's very appropriate for this thread!: http://stygimolochspinifer.deviantart.com/art/Carnegie-Collection-Marine-Reptiles-345128599  This is a really cool example of art inspired by figures!  When I first saw it, I was wondering who the green one was... and then I suddenly realised who it was!  Hehe, it's quite different from Carnegie's version, the one in the picture is much better!

Dan

Stumbled upon this recently. The Carnegie Museum has this costume based on a familiar design from 2009...

http://boardman.vindy.com/photos/2015/jul/

One of the benefits of having your own toy line, is that you can borrow your own models and paint schemes, without raising any eyebrows. I think.

Dinomike

Haha! That's a cool - maybe somewhat outdated - costume! :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Dilopho

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 28, 2014, 07:29:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone else noticed this:

The signature is hard to read. Who painted this? It's kind of like the Triceratops of Luis V. Ray. I like the scavenging idea, deer do that too!

Patrx

The painting is by Hong Kong artist Cheung Chung Tat. I don't know whose model that is, but the resemblance is definitely no coincidence!

Dan

Correct, and the model is the Foulkes Triceratops. Both artists have since acknowledged the similarity, and they appear to be fine with it.

Roselaar

That Spinosaurus costume is just wonderful. Gotta be one of the coolest and rarest Carnegie toys around! :)

amargasaurus cazaui

People say that we're past the age of seeing sauropods as aquatic, yet every time I see sauropods near a body of water, at least one of them is partially submerged in it.

Just a little joke ;) Guess they're like elephants in that they like to take a dip every now and then.
We have a trackway that shows a swimming sauropod...as it was swimming along it would let its feet down to touch bottom here and there....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Viking Spawn

Quote from: brandem on May 28, 2015, 05:31:23 PM
Feel like I've seen these guys somewhere before

Now THAT is cool!  I may try this confrontation at home with my Papos!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 11, 2015, 10:57:18 PM

We have a trackway that shows a swimming sauropod...as it was swimming along it would let its feet down to touch bottom here and there....

Yup, sauropods certainly did swim, but counterintuitively, due to all the air sacs, they would have floated near the top of the water, like ducks!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1810024/

(Of course, that doesn't make them aquatic. Michael Phelps is not an aquatic animal despite being an excellent and frequent swimmer, because he doesn't live and feed primarily in the water).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Takama

Bob Jones Earth Science textbook

Notice something About the T.Rex

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Oh my, is that for real? That's not funny, it's sad really...

Halichoeres

Well, you're right of course, it is sad. It's one of those things that I think is funny precisely because it's sad. Tens of thousands of children in the US learn "science" this way.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Tapejara1122

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Viking Spawn

Makes one wonder at what age do they begin to question as to what they learned?  Sooner or later they will stumble upon something that will contradict what they were told.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Viking Spawn on September 16, 2015, 06:24:56 AM
Makes one wonder at what age do they begin to question as to what they learned?  Sooner or later they will stumble upon something that will contradict what they were told.
Sadly many of them never do question what they are told, and it would seem even sad books like this aren't beyond the influence of Horner :P

CityRaptor

Well, there are also Spotted Hyenas. Those are also not exactly scavengers.

Anyways, notice something here?

The JP Tyrannosaurs are of course the most obvious thing in this pic. The dead Triceratops and the "Velociraptors" are however based on the Tamiya models.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: