News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I feel the ornamental keratin/scales on the top of Giganotosaurus's head were done much better on the Carnegie Collection version.  On the Wild Safari version they extend far around fenestrae, which is the same problem I see in a number of the 2017 prehistoric Papo figures.  In the end though, it's not much of a problem to me as I'm not interested in having a figure that's permanently attached to a base.

Killekor

I don't like permanent bases too, but i Will get it.

Any pics of the psittacosaurus?

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on December 21, 2016, 11:26:00 PM
I feel the ornamental keratin/scales on the top of Giganotosaurus's head were done much better on the Carnegie Collection version.  On the Wild Safari version they extend far around fenestrae, which is the same problem I see in a number of the 2017 prehistoric Papo figures.  In the end though, it's not much of a problem to me as I'm not interested in having a figure that's permanently attached to a base.

At least the base is pleasant to look at. CollectA bases are borderline insulting. They are treated like an afterthought with zero regard for the level of contrast between the base and the model.

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2016, 01:00:40 AM

At least the base is pleasant to look at. CollectA bases are borderline insulting. They are treated like an afterthought with zero regard for the level of contrast between the base and the model.

Whats Wrong with bases being treated as an AFTER THOGHT?    The main focus should be the Animal .

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on December 22, 2016, 01:29:22 AM

Whats Wrong with bases being treated as an AFTER THOGHT?    The main focus should be the Animal .

If you are into showcasing your pieces, a subpar base makes the animal look tacky and ruins the overall presentation.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2016, 02:19:31 AM

If you are into showcasing your pieces, a subpar base makes the animal look tacky and ruins the overall presentation.

"Borderline insulting"? Seriously? You think plastic bases for toy dinosaurs are "borderline insulting" just because they're not done to your personal liking?

That is very sad.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on December 22, 2016, 03:01:48 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2016, 02:19:31 AM

"Borderline insulting"? Seriously? You think plastic bases for toy dinosaurs are "borderline insulting" just because they're not done to your personal liking?

That is very sad.

It is "borderline insulting" for the animal on the base.  It is very sad indeed. I feel sorry for the inanimate dinosaur representation that will forever be adhered to a base that is not of its ilk. 

Simon

Folks, there is a very, very VERY easy "fix" for these Theropod bases;

(but first off let me say that I think that bases are 100% preferable to figures that fall over - after all we buy them to display them, not to play with them)

The way you "neutralize" bases that don't seem to "fit" with the figure is to REPAINT the base (not the figure) a neutral color that will blend in with the display area.

Example:  That fine, FINE looking Safari Giganotosaurus has a base that is light colored, just like the figure.  That is an example, to me, of poor color choices.  However, one does not need much artistic talent (perhaps a small brush and steady hand) to paint the base around the animal's feet a darker color - example: if you are going to display it on a wood shelf, paint the base the same color as the shelf.

The figure will thus stand out from its surroundings, AND have the added benefit of still NOT falling over.

Problem solved.   ;)

Neosodon

Quote from: Simon on December 22, 2016, 03:23:56 AM
(but first off let me say that I think that bases are 100% preferable to figures that fall over - after all we buy them to display them, not to play with them)

I'm not sure about everyone else but I still play with mine. ;D But I still prefer a correctly positioned therapod on a base over a tripod or one that is constantly falling down.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2016, 03:08:08 AMIt is "borderline insulting" for the animal on the base.  It is very sad indeed. I feel sorry for the inanimate dinosaur representation that will forever be adhered to a base that is not of its ilk.
Indeed! If a base is done very well, has lots of nice detail work, and suits the figure, I may be willing to overlook permanent adherement. It's a sad feeling seeing beautiful CollectA sculpts permanently affixed to the blandest, crudest, most unbefitting bases imaginable. Of course, if a abse is plain enough, such as a flat disc, and is done very subtly, that can also work well.

Neosodon

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 22, 2016, 04:09:52 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2016, 03:08:08 AMIt is "borderline insulting" for the animal on the base.  It is very sad indeed. I feel sorry for the inanimate dinosaur representation that will forever be adhered to a base that is not of its ilk.
Indeed! If a base is done very well, has lots of nice detail work, and suits the figure, I may be willing to overlook permanent adherement. It's a sad feeling seeing beautiful CollectA sculpts permanently affixed to the blandest, crudest, most unbefitting bases imaginable. Of course, if a abse is plain enough, such as a flat disc, and is done very subtly, that can also work well.
I made a base for Collecta Rajasaurus by super gluing a square piece of clear plastic to the bottom of its feet. It is almost invisible and is very durable.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Blade-of-the-Moon

If anyone needs a base " plus-ed"  I and several other artists here can help with that. From painting to adding moss, wood, ect.. it's what we do, hire us! lol

My "Best toy T. Rexes" shelf  has a new member :

whew, think i'm done with the comparison pics now.

Daspletotyrannus

That Giganotosaurus is looking good. I think I might get one.

Sim

Blade, in your most recent photos it looks like a base wasn't enough to keep the baby CollectA Tyrannosaurus standing?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on December 22, 2016, 06:09:52 AM
Blade, in your most recent photos it looks like a base wasn't enough to keep the baby CollectA Tyrannosaurus standing?

I had seen him leaning a bit and had chucked the plastic so made a little floral wire prop. the  legs are just too thin and soft to hold it up i think. but if they were harder it would be prone to breakage..so not a great solution to be had.

Jetdin

all the releases look beautiful!
but i specifically love the giganotosaurus ! this looks so accurate and very anatomically correct..
will most probably get it with the t rex too. the trex looks nice and bulky

suspsy

I'm very grateful that I don't share such standards. The day I gripe more about the base than the actual figure mounted on it is the day I ditch my hobby entirely.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 22, 2016, 04:09:52 AM

Agreed. A poorly done, permanent, base detracts from the figure.

Jose S.M.

I don't think it's insulting or that much horrible, but I do wish CollectA bases were better, at least give it some dirt like colors or something that makes them look more natural, right know they look very artificial.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on December 22, 2016, 01:06:04 PM

I'm very grateful that I don't share such standards. The day I gripe more about the base than the actual figure mounted on it is the day I ditch my hobby entirely.

I'm sure that there are a fair number of hobbyists that feel the same way (regarding CollectA's subpar bases). There are only so many models that I can purchase. I look at the whole presentation.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: