News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2016, 06:56:59 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 22, 2016, 01:06:04 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2016, 03:08:08 AMIt is "borderline insulting" for the animal on the base.  It is very sad indeed. I feel sorry for the inanimate dinosaur representation that will forever be adhered to a base that is not of its ilk.

I'm very grateful that I don't share such standards. The day I gripe more about the base than the actual figure mounted on it is the day I ditch my hobby entirely.

I'm sure that there are a fair number of hobbyists that feel the same way (regarding CollectA's subpar bases). There are only so many models that I can purchase. I look at the whole presentation.

Whatever, man. No one's forcing you to buy those toys. But claiming that they're "insulting" just because they don't match your personal set of needs goes beyond valid criticism and into the ugly realm of self-entitlement.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

You can make perfect dinosaurs from the anatomical and scientific point without need of base and without having to be tripod or with clown feet.

An example we have in the austrolovenator "Banjo" of the Australian Museum of Australian Dinosaurs. I have one and it is maintained correctly, it is an example of which can be made bipedal dinosaurs like the real ones. The problem is that they must be made with a stance or PVC materials that are more resistant and even a little more rigid

I have not seen the feathered tyrannosaurus rex from Safari (for me magnificent) but as I have it physically I can not comment.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on December 22, 2016, 07:19:37 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 22, 2016, 03:08:08 AMIt is "borderline insulting" for the animal on the base.  It is very sad indeed. I feel sorry for the inanimate dinosaur representation that will forever be adhered to a base that is not of its ilk.

I'm very grateful that I don't share such standards. The day I gripe more about the base than the actual figure mounted on it is the day I ditch my hobby entirely.

I'm sure that there are a fair number of hobbyists that feel the same way (regarding CollectA's subpar bases). There are only so many models that I can purchase. I look at the whole presentation.

Whatever, man. No one's forcing you to buy those toys. But claiming that they're "insulting" just because they don't match your personal set of needs goes beyond valid criticism and into the ugly realm of self-entitlement.

Like I said before, they are only "insulting" to the dinosaurs that are situated on the bases as they do not do justice to the sculpts. If CollectA wants to make relatively cheap, but presentable bases they should take a leaf out of Favorite Collection's book. Safari also has the right idea. Nobody is expecting REBOR caliber bases.

Dilopho

Sorry, laprpp still broken.
I don't care about the bases as longAs tbey feel nice. Does that make sense?
I don't like the carnegie bases because the paint and general texture doesn't feel nice but the sandy, solid collecta ones feel good to hold and they are light.
They are also easy to hide unlike the big rocky carnebie ones.
They don=t detracr from a fifure to me, though!

Faelrin

I like to fiddle around with my figures in my hands, to look at them closer and whatnot, aside from just displaying them, and permanent bases get in the way of that for me. So I suppose I'm another that doesn't like permanent bases. I do like optional bases though, especially ones that look like a Mesozoic environment. In the case of the Giganotosaurus, the color scheme just isn't doing it for me, so that's enough for me to decide not to get it, even though it has that permanently attached base as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Takama

MY god What have i done? :-[     Once again i said something i regret, and now its slowly detracting from the topic.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on December 22, 2016, 07:19:37 PM

You're getting a bit heated and personal here. There's no need. Thanks!  C:-)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on December 22, 2016, 07:42:29 PM
MY god What have i done? :-[     Once again i said something i regret, and now its slowly detracting from the topic.

man it isnt you, there are "hot topic" subjects here like with anything, mention feathers, bases, ect it all starts  over.  maybe we should add our preferences to these under our avatars? like favorite dinosaur? so we don't have to bring it up every time lol

Pachyrhinosaurus

My 2017 catalogue came in the mail yesterday and it looks like the gastornis and tree fern are still there. If they're retired there must be enough left to keep them in the catalogue for the year. I also noticed the pronunciation keys for the feathered rex and velociraptor (funnily enough) include the word "feathered" in them.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

amargasaurus cazaui

My two cents, I ordered the entire Safari dinosaur line this year, all of them. I found the giga to be a huge piece, and I myself am quite fond of the patterning and colors . The base does not even draw me from the figure....I love the piece and I seldom purchase theropods. Along with my safari Pieces I ordered both of collecta models from last years offerings of the struthio and Beishanlong. Both are based figures as well. The base on the smaller piece I personally found no problem with...I may get a few of these for a diorama even. The Beishalong I liked as a model itself, with its unique feathering, and colors . What I get from the base for it is that it does look a bit wonky or....just my view but they put so much effort into making this dinosaur look superb and coloring it well then tossed It on a base that might be used for a  Force 10 From Navarone Army playset. It does distract a bit from a rather eye catching well rendered dinosaur. If they had just flat based it or perhaps colored the vegetation...it just needs something to match the detail of the sculpt.
      Another thing I wanted to mention, when you get the coelophysis and the psittacosaurus you realize they are not based. Nor for that matter is the Deinocheirus. I was ready to get out my sticky stuff and make them stand however as you place the models and handle them you realize Doug Did a nice job of balance vs heft and shape to make these stand rather well by themselves. Mine all stood firmly and with authority...although fair to say I did not receive myfeathered rex yet as Dejankins has not gotten them in.
   Just my views
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Same, i just need the Microraptor still. I think you'll find the Rex similarly hefty and balanced as well. :)

tanystropheus

This is the first Safari line where I am completely enthused about owning all the models. Excellent craftsmanship. Hopefully, Wild Safari can maintain this quality for years to come.

Sim

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 23, 2016, 03:14:20 AM
The Beishalong I liked as a model itself, with its unique feathering, and colors . What I get from the base for it is that it does look a bit wonky or....just my view but they put so much effort into making this dinosaur look superb and coloring it well then tossed It on a base that might be used for a  Force 10 From Navarone Army playset. It does distract a bit from a rather eye catching well rendered dinosaur. If they had just flat based it or perhaps colored the vegetation...it just needs something to match the detail of the sculpt.

Oddly, in pre-release photos the CollectA Beishanlong's base has different shades of brown for the ground, and some green plants, but in the final toy version everything on its base is just one beige.

The CollectA Beishanlong's feathering and colours aren't so unique...  They're strongly inspired by the secretarybird's.  This is also the case for this Beasts of the Mesozoic Saurornitholestes figure that's coming in 2017:

Jose S.M.

I didn't noticed the difference on the Beishanlong base before, regarding CollectA bases, the Struthiomimus base it's different, less brightly coloured and with some textures, I think it's better than the other bases. Back to Safari, the Giganotosaurus base also doesn't look that obvious to me, and comparing with CollectA I prefer the Safari one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on December 23, 2016, 02:15:55 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 23, 2016, 03:14:20 AM
The Beishalong I liked as a model itself, with its unique feathering, and colors . What I get from the base for it is that it does look a bit wonky or....just my view but they put so much effort into making this dinosaur look superb and coloring it well then tossed It on a base that might be used for a  Force 10 From Navarone Army playset. It does distract a bit from a rather eye catching well rendered dinosaur. If they had just flat based it or perhaps colored the vegetation...it just needs something to match the detail of the sculpt.

Oddly, in pre-release photos the CollectA Beishanlong's base has different shades of brown for the ground, and some green plants, but in the final toy version everything on its base is just one beige.

[/img]

It's likely just cost cutting or streamlining.  I grew up with all those " item may differ from product shown" on all the toys i bought lol  The colors are a little less detailed from that prototype to in-hand product. It's just a part of the process to me.

tanystropheus

Regarding the Beishanlong,

The first base gives it a state-of-the-art look and makes the model look very high-end

while,

The second base gives it a 'Happy Meal' feel and makes the toy look rather cheap.

It would have been nice if they did something in-between these two styles. Perhaps, make the base thinner (but heavier).

suspsy

The quality of the base is wholly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't change the fact that the Beishanlong itself is a masterpiece.

Flaffy

I for one am not a fan of the CollectA bases.
They look very unnatural to me.

suspsy

Shall we leave the topic of bases and get back to the Safari toys now? Seems it's been discussed enough at this point.

Why have the T. rex, Velociraptor, and Psittacosaurus been delayed so long? Is it because Safari anticipates them selling the best, and therefore ordered greater quantities to be manufactured?

Blade-of-the-Moon

As I said before, if you love a figure but hate it's base, there those that can and are willing to help you.

Not sure what you mean by delayed?  Safari has them on their site, Amazon had the feathered Rex, how I received mine, smaller retailers might be having issues with all the Christmas rush stuff. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: