News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on October 01, 2016, 03:31:12 AM
Time for my daily Safari opinions!

Quetzalcoatlus: Love it! The sculpt is really good, and so are the colors, its obviously a male by the bright colors on the head. And now we have two good Quetzals in two different poses, the CollectA standing and the Safari flying. This ones definitely on my list!

Coelophysis: This figure is just beautiful, best Coelophysis out there so far. ;) And I love the colors, you can tell its a male, and I love bright colors on would be display areas. And I absolutely love the fact that it has fine feathering on the body. The feathered dinosaur toy revolution was started by CollectA, and is being continued by Safari, let the feathered dinosaur toy revolution continue!

The colors on the CollectA Hatz are similar enough to the WS Quetz that you can use them as a pair.

It looks like Schleich, Papo and REBOR will be joining the feathered dinosaur toy revolution, as well.

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 01, 2016, 03:41:14 AM

Quetzalcoatlus: Love it! The sculpt is really good, and so are the colors, its obviously a male by the bright colors on the head. And now we have two good Quetzals in two different poses, the CollectA standing and the Safari flying. This ones definitely on my list!

Coelophysis: This figure is just beautiful, best Coelophysis out there so far. ;) And I love the colors, you can tell its a male, and I love bright colors on would be display areas. And I absolutely love the fact that it has fine feathering on the body. The feathered dinosaur toy revolution was started by CollectA, and is being continued by Safari, let the feathered dinosaur toy revolution continue!

The colors on the CollectA Hatz are similar enough to the WS Quetz that you can use them as a pair.

It looks like Schleich, Papo and REBOR will be joining the feathered dinosaur toy revolution, as well.

HAve to admit though, it seems like some dont evean care about feathers and there only doing it to see like there changeing with the times

Flaffy

Quote from: Takama on October 01, 2016, 04:31:36 AM

HAve to admit though, it seems like some dont evean care about feathers and there only doing it to see like there changeing with the times
For Western brands, I feel that CollectA was the first to truly embrace the beauty of feathered dinosaurs and translate it into figures. Safari caught on as well, making fabulous and accurate figures. The revolution spawned the BotM line, which we adore.
Schleich and Rebor are just jumping on the feathered bandwagon, just so they can slap the "museum quality" or "scientifically accurate" label on their figures.
Geoworld never cared about dinosaurs in the first place. Nor do the random 'Chinasaur' companies.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Takama on October 01, 2016, 04:31:36 AM

Yeah, Rebor and Schleich's attempts are more akin to the attempts of a child to pass themselves off as an adult by drawing a moustache on their face with a black marker pen. By contrast these Safaris and CollectA pieces are much more sincere, both naturalistic and yet genuinely 'cool' as animals, rather than the kind of 'cool' envisioned by an adolescent.

On the Quetz, it strikes me as a lovely figure of that animal, but I'm just not that enamoured with pterosaurs. I do love the tiny little eyes and the blue gradiant on the face though.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Let's not forget about Carnegie's lineup of feathered dinosaurs. Among the major brands I think they were some of the first.
Anyways, the Kronosaurus picture's out now:
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

sauroid

if you are all worried about the abundance of great 2017 (including this year's PNSOs) figures draining your wallet, wait til CollectA and Papo announce their next year's figures. LOL
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Flaffy

Quote from: sauroid on October 01, 2016, 02:35:14 PM
if you are all worried about the abundance of great 2017 figures draining your wallet, wait til CollectA and Papo announce their next year's figures. LOL
Darn.  :-[

Doug Watson

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 01, 2016, 02:05:14 PM
Let's not forget about Carnegie's lineup of feathered dinosaurs. Among the major brands I think they were some of the first.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153924030718193&substory_index=0&id=156425368192

and I did six feathered dinosaurs for the Safari Ltd AMNH Feathered Dinosaurs Toob in 2005 and I think Carnegie's first came out that year, the Beipiaosaurus.

Jose S.M.

Well I hope collecta work something about their problems with distribution in U.S.A, shipping from outside America is more expensive for me and Dan's dinosaurs had limited numbers of this years figures.

The Kronosaurus looks fine and it's very big! But I can't see pics on safaris site yet, just on their Facebook.

Edit: I know now why there's no more pics on the website, I read the Facebook post and they said they are updating on monday hehe. I should read more instead of just looking at the pics :)

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 01, 2016, 02:42:02 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153924030718193&substory_index=0&id=156425368192

and I did six feathered dinosaurs for the Safari Ltd AMNH Feathered Dinosaurs Toob in 2005 and I think Carnegie's first came out that year, the Beipiaosaurus.
You made the Beipianosaurus, Doug?

Doug Watson

Quote from: RolandEden on October 01, 2016, 03:04:45 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on October 01, 2016, 02:42:02 PM

You made the Beipianosaurus, Doug?

Only the one in the Toob the Carnegie Beipiaosaurus was sculpted by Forest Rogers like all of the Carnegies.

tyrantqueen

Should be a better replacement for the Cigar-o-saurus.

CMIPalaeo

I see it's dolled up in standard Giant Pliosaur LiveryTM. It is lovely though... I won't be in a hurry to pick this one up simply because there are other figures that interest me more and I unfortunately have to be rather selective. It is quite an impressive Kronosaurus.
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

suspsy

It's great to see Kronosaurus getting love again after being overshadowed by Liopleurodon and Pliosaurus. Kind of a pity about the same old colour scheme though.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

Great to see a Kronosaurus figure that's actually a Kronosaurus and not an elongated Harvard-osaurus.

Halichoeres

I like that Kronosaurus--I wonder if our admin had some input?

On pteroids, I just went through my pterosaurs, and in addition to the ones mentioned, most of my Kaiyodo pterosaurs have a discernible pteroid, as do my TS Toys Tropeognathus, Colorata Quetzalcoatlus, CollectA Guidraco, and Schleich 2001 Pteranodon. That last one surprised me the most.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ItsTwentyBelow

Very cool Kronosaurus. I never got the Carnegie figure because it's just so awful and unappealing. One of the two Carnegie figures I don't own simply because I have no interest (other being the brown Rex). Even the Schleich Kronosaurus was more intriguing to me, but I never got it either.

This new Kronosaurus looks to be a very worthy successor, and I think the color pattern is very attractive. This guy was always portrayed as sort of the "King of Marine Reptiles" in books when I was a kid. Here's hoping it's a hefty model!

suspsy

It's a perfectly good colour scheme for a giant marine reptile, but thanks to WWD, it's been overused. Just look at the Liopleurodon page in the Genera section. It's like green for a T. rex or brown for an Ankylosaurus.

I think this Kronosaurus will be around the same size as the CollectA Pliosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 01, 2016, 04:38:27 PM

Since you ask, yes, I did. 8) Now that they are being announced I can say that I had input into six of the new models. Of those fully revealed so far, I advised on the Kronosaurus, Microraptor, and Quetzalcoatlus. I was honoured to be involved and I'm very happy with how they've turned out. Together we avoided some of the usual pitfalls.

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 01, 2016, 06:05:31 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 01, 2016, 04:38:27 PM

Since you ask, yes, I did. 8) Now that they are being announced I can say that I had input into six of the new models. Of those fully revealed so far, I advised on the Kronosaurus, Microraptor, and Quetzalcoatlus. I was honoured to be involved and I'm very happy with how they've turned out. Together we avoided some of the usual pitfalls.

That's awesome! I figured you might have a hand in the marine reptiles but I surprised you were involved with others as well. Not questioning your expertise of course, I just know what your specialty is.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: