You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boki's Collection: A short goodbye (until we meet again) 3/7/23

Started by Bokisaurus, January 12, 2018, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Well, After the BIG mistake I did of posting the Kaiyodo Triceratops series not he TAKARA post, I decided to just put up a disclaimer on that first post instead of reposting the whole thing!
So, that Triceratops series was supposed to be the first one up here in the Kaiodo post, so do look back up if you are curious.
That out of the way, lets take a look at the REAL Kaiyodo figures ;D

Kaiyodo figures Part 2

Kaiyodo Expo 2016 figures - This set came out just two years ago. As always is the case, the majority of the figures are the common species ( with a twist) as well as a new one.
There are 4 figures in the set, a new baby Para, a new version of Spino based on the latest reconstruction, a boring and not so good Tyrannosaurus rex, and the star of the set, the fabulous and delicate Yi Qi!

I love the Yi so much that I got two of them ;D

Next up, the Capsule Q Dinosaurs of Japan set - A five piece set of figures featuring dinosaurs of Japan. Nice set.

Next up, the Marine reptile set (not sure what it's called officially) - A five piece set featuring marine reptiles. The secret figure is a color variant of the Plesiosaur ( black one?). The skeleton is that of the Pliosaur. Unfortunately, this is one of the figure that was a casualty of the display cabinet falling, so it's damaged.  The small and very delicate jaw pegs are broken :( as you can see on the photo.
This is the set that includes the Ichthyosaur giving birth.
In addition, there are little divers for scale for each figures, then there is a bust, not sure exactly what the significance of it is or who the person is.
Cool set worth acquiring.

Last, another Capsule Q set called Tyrannosaur - Like the rest of the series, this is also a five piece set. This looks like a companion to the Triceratops set.
I only got 3 out of the five figures, the fleshed out versions. The other two are the skeleton and skull. I am not a big fan of skeletons and skulls, let alone of that of T rex yet again, so I skipped those two figures.
Two versions of mr. T , one feathered (black one), and one the classic (brown one) and Yutyrannus (white one).

Well, that's it for now. These figures are definitely worth getting. I'm not sure if I will have the patience to sort the Dinotales figures, just too many of them and all jumbled up from the fall. So it may be a long time before I get to post those.
Hope you enjoyed, and please let me know if there are any error. Any info on these figures would be great as well and will be much appreciated.
Thanks for looking, till next time, Happy dino hunting! ;)

Shonisaurus

Boki the figures that you exhibit of Kaiyodo are the best that exist of that company. Some like the Q capsule of dinosaurs of Japan or Kaiyodo Expo 2016 I have them on my shelves among the small figures and I can assure you they are outstanding sets of dinosaurs. I congratulate you Boki for having those beautiful figures and thank you for your always spectacular photographs.  :)

Lanthanotus

Really diggin' that marine reptile set, especially the Plesiosaurs aswell as the Ichtyosaurus.

SBell

I kept feeling like something was missing from the Kaiyodo bunch...I finally figured it out!

There are the "Great Leap Forward" and "Paleozoic Marine" series!

The former has Dimetrodon, Ichthyostega, a Dunkleosteus skull, hominid skull and Anomolacaris; the latter is Eusthenopteron, Pterygotus, Bothriolepis, Opabina and...a trilobite? I don't have full sets of either.

But good on you for having these sets complete, right down to the 'special' colours! I always liked those, but couldn't justify the price difference (I do have the ceratopsian one though, got it by accident in a lot!)

Bokisaurus

Quote from: SBell on March 28, 2018, 11:31:12 PM
I kept feeling like something was missing from the Kaiyodo bunch...I finally figured it out!

The former has Dimetrodon, Ichthyostega, a Dunkleosteus skull, hominid skull and Anomolacaris; the latter is Eusthenopteron, Pterygotus, Bothriolepis, Opabina and...a trilobite? I don't have full sets of either.

But good on you for having these sets complete, right down to the 'special' colours! I always liked those, but couldn't justify the price difference (I do have the ceratopsian one though, got it by accident in a lot!)

Oh god, there are a lot more missing ^-^ I have both of the sets you mentioned, but they are both very much incomplete and some of these were damaged in the great cabinet fall that took a huge casualties on my Kaiyodo figures ( they are just more fragile that Colorata or Tommy).
Yeah, those prices are ridiculously high and can't justify, so I am happy to just have the ones I really like. ^-^
Have a great week everyone, tune in next week for another round of collection post, cheers! :))

SBell

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 29, 2018, 07:01:24 PM
Quote from: SBell on March 28, 2018, 11:31:12 PM

Oh god, there are a lot more missing ^-^ I have both of the sets you mentioned, but they are both very much incomplete and some of these were damaged in the great cabinet fall that took a huge casualties on my Kaiyodo figures ( they are just more fragile that Colorata or Tommy).
Yeah, those prices are ridiculously high and can't justify, so I am happy to just have the ones I really like. ^-^
Have a great week everyone, tune in next week for another round of collection post, cheers! :))

Agreed! I don't usually buy whole sets anymore either. Or skulls and skeletons unless I get a decent lot price.

So my two sets are also incomplete. But fortunately I haven't had any cabinet collapses. That sounds horrible!

CityRaptor

Yes, sunds like a massacre.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 27, 2018, 07:03:39 PM
In addition, there are little divers for scale for each figures, then there is a bust, not sure exactly what the significance of it is or who the person is.

I don't think it is supposed to me someone specific. It's just there for scale. Making it a fullbody diver would have been impractical.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 31, 2018, 01:36:02 PM
Yes, sunds like a massacre.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 27, 2018, 07:03:39 PM

I don't think it is supposed to me someone specific. It's just there for scale. Making it a fullbody diver would have been impractical.

But it is definitively a female diver!

CityRaptor

Well, the sex of the diver does not really matter. A woman of course would be shorter than that. ( Unless she is Sigourney Weaver or Gwendolyn Christie or someone like that. ) However it does not change the fact that a fullbody diver would be impractibal since it would be around the same size as the Ichthyosaurus it comes with. Therefore it would result in smaller figures if a fullbody diver was included, so they went for a bust instead. They probably chose to make it female since the Ichthyosaurus is female, too. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 31, 2018, 11:35:04 PM
Well, the sex of the diver does not really matter. A woman of course would be shorter than that. ( Unless she is Sigourney Weaver or Gwendolyn Christie or someone like that. ) However it does not change the fact that a fullbody diver would be impractibal since it would be around the same size as the Ichthyosaurus it comes with. Therefore it would result in smaller figures if a fullbody diver was included, so they went for a bust instead. They probably chose to make it female since the Ichthyosaurus is female, too.

Just being silly man.

And I could be wrong, but I think all of the figures are female for whatever reason.

Bokisaurus

Hello Dinofans! Hope everyone is doing well. This week, I am sharing my Kaiyodo Dinoland figures.
Kaiyodo has made so many figures in their long history, often it's the small figures that has gotten all the attention.
There was a time when Kaiyodo released many large figures, both PVC and kits.
These large figures were released in the mid 80's, so many of them are showing t heir age, but many also are beautiful and stand the test of time. Without a doubt, they are rare and highly sought after by collectors and often command impressive price when available. Some figures are rarer than others.

I'm not a model builder person, so I pretty much stayed away from those. Luckily, there are some assembled versions of some of these model kits.
When I first became aware of the Dinoland series, I set out to try my luck in acquiring the groups that interested me the most, the Sauropods and ceratopsians. For the most part, I was able to get what I wanted at a reasonable price.
So here are the large figures ( I have 9) in my collection, these are the ones that are mostly in the 1:35 scale and came in a box set. Each figure came with a wooded base to display the figures.

In addition, I have this odd one, which I believe is part of the set. I think it's a kit version that is unpainted. Please confirm ^-^

As you can see, the Apato is the largest one of what I have, it dwarfs the Camara.

A look at the base and also a sample of the label[
I opted to use my beloved rock instead of the wooden bases :)

Then, here are the popular 1/100 scale figures. They are a mix lot and the rubber is soft making most of the bipeds almost impossible to stand.
In addition, some were made specifically for the American Museum of Natural History.

Figures came in boxes. Ironically, I had a hard time finding the small figures than the larger ones, so I have very few of these ones. They are so expensive, sometimes more than the large ones! I pretty much gave up looking for them.
Here are the few ones that I have

And this, the Mosasaur, my FAVORITE from the set and still is my favorite mosasaur figure! It's just so beautiful :)

I was also able to acquire a metal version of the rearing Barosaurus to complement the rubber one ^-^

My precious  ^-^

Well, there you go, my Kaiyodo dinoland figures. I hope to add to the collection someday, but due to the cost, I doubt that will  happen anytime soon :D
I am happy with the ones I got, and lucky that I got them at the time I did.
Hopefully you all enjoyed the collection, till next time.
I will be going out of town this week, so I won't be able to post another collection ( I try to post 2 a week if I can) until next week.
Till then, happy collecting and feel free to share info about this set.Cheers, and thanks for looking! :)

PS:
Wow, interesting to see the very first page with the collection summary!
Anyone know how many photos can be added on the first page?

Shonisaurus

Bokisaurus your figures of Kaiyodo Dinoland did not know them until now they are fabulous. Those would be the anchisaurus and chasmosaurus that I would like them to make traditional dinosaur marks.

In absolute terms all your figures are very good, it is a treat for the sight those figures of soft vinyl and the smaller figures of Kaiyodo Dinoland.

Have a good week. Nice to see your collections.  :)

postsaurischian

:D Great Dinoland collection! You might want to contribute to this thread one day:
   http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6500.0

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 02, 2018, 06:55:57 PM
In addition, I have this odd one, which I believe is part of the set. I think it's a kit version that is unpainted. Please confirm ^-^

The large models come from very different times. This hilarious Iguanodon is among Kaiyodo's very first Dinoland lines.
   Your 1:35 Apatosaurus and 1:20 Styracosaurus came a bit later, then your 1:35 Triceratops.
   All the others you're showing were among the last Dinoland wave.
   By the way: Your Styracosaurus looks re-painted. Is it?

And this, the Mosasaur, my FAVORITE from the set and still is my favorite mosasaur figure! It's just so beautiful :)

Argh! I'm still after this figure. It got soo expensive within the years. I should have bought it, when it was easier ::) .

The small Dinoland figures can be divided in two sections:
   - the 100mm series (resin figures in brown boxes)
   - the 1/100 series (rubber figures in white boxes)
   In your picture you interconverted the boxes of 100mm Mosasaurus and 1/100 Camarasaurus.

I was also able to acquire a metal version of the rearing Barosaurus to complement the rubber one ^-^

Is that yellow Barosaurus really made of rubber? It looks exactly like the 100mm resin version :) .

BrontoScorpio

Hi,Bokisaurus
It's always nice to see other member interested with Kaiyodos.
postsaurischian pretty much commented what I intended to comment.
for distinction between Ruber and Resin - see this post of mine in the thread postsaurischian was talking about :
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6500.msg193013#msg193013

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone for the helpful informations, glad to finally have some background info on some of these figures.
Yeah, one of this days I will repost them on the Dinoland thread.

Before I skip town, I forgot to post this one little figure :D It seems to be the most accurate plesiosaur figure from the Dinoland collection! Hahaha!
Anyway, I for her many years ago and totally forgot I have it until I was sorting out a bin and found her.
Very cute little figure. It came in a plastic bag with the Dinoland tag on it, I'm not sure if it really is a Dinoland figure of belongs to something else. If it is from Kaiyodo Dinoland series, are there anymore?
Anyone know it's story?  Cheers! :)

Halichoeres

Wonderful DinoLand collection! The Maiasaura and Camarasaurus are particularly beautiful.

As for the number of photos on the first page, I'm not aware of a limit, as I have had close to 100 on my trade thread. But to minimize load times, it might be helpful to add tags to resize them. I do it like this:

{img width=700}imageURL.jpg{/img}

but of course with brackets instead of braces.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Digibasherx

These Dinoland figures are lovely.  I'm not so much into the retro ones, but they're still very striking for the time they were released.  The Brachio kit,  my goodness it's so majestic (pictured from Brontoscorpio's link). 

Bokisaurus

Hello Dinosaur Fans! A new week, new Collection photos post.
This week, I wanted to share two lines that are very similar to each other, so much so that it is sometimes hard to tell them apart.
Most of you probably have heard of the Video game Dinosaur King. It was popular in Japan in the mid 2000's ( I believe). There are so many merchandise associated w with the game that it's very hard to keep track. For this post, I will focus on the large DinoKing figures.
The other brand that is very similar to Dinoking is perhaps more obscure, it's the Happinet set, also from Japan.
We will take a look at both collection, but we shall start with the SEGA DinoKing first, cool?

SEGA Dinosaur King
This is the line that is based on the video game. If I remember, they started producing figures  back in 2005. These are large, hallow figures with no standard size except they re all within the size range of 6-10" inches, with the exception of the very long Siesmosaurus.
There are 31 figures in the set as far as I know, and there are no additional figures after these. The figures are very lively in colors, mixing every imaginable colors of the rainbows! ;D
As expected, Accuracy is not that strong, although you can tell which dinosaur each figure supposed to be.
The species and group mix is pretty good, but as expected, the theropod group make up the largest with 11 species represented, this is followed by the ceratopsian with 5, then ornithopods and sauropods tie with 4. The marine reptile, pterosaur, stego,pachy, and mammal each have only 1.

Overall, I really like these figures. They are a hybrid between stylized, natural, and exotic. When I first heard about the collection, I was not that imp[ressed. But then I saw the ceratopsians, Sauropods, and duckbills, then I got excited and went searching for them. At first, I only wanted to get those groups including the marine reptile and pterosaur, and bypass the rest.
As I started acquiring them, it was inevitable that I started to get "by catch". After looking at how many I got, I realized that I was very close to completing the collection, so I searched for the remaining figures.
To date, my collection of the large figures is almost complete, with the exception of one figure, the Pawpawsaurus! This figure continues to elude me, and if I came across one, it was usually pretty expensive.
In the end, I gave up chasing after this figure, but maybe one day I will eventually find it.
Here awe go!

Let's start with the lone group, those that are only represented by one species.
The lovey Futabasaurus, Japan's start plesiosaur! Great figure.

Pachycephalosaurus and Saichania followed by Pteranodon

The purple ones- Stego and Spino all deck out in purple

Of course, Mr. T, and he comes in two color variant, too!

The group that got me into collecting this set, the lovely ceratopsians! It's an amazing species selection, and with the exception of Triceratops, they are all very awesome.
Pachyrhino and Achelousaurus, Triceratops and Pentaceratops, then Styracosaurs

These guys :) All beautiful and elegant ladies ;)
Fujuisaurus, Parasaurolophus, Shantugosaurus, and Sauolophus

The titans! Love the Titanosaurus (isisaurus), unfortunately, the Amarga is the weakest of the group, while the Siesmosaurus is the longest and brightest! Saltasaurus round up the group.

Battle of the hairdo! Who wore it best? ;)
Therizinosaur, Megaraptor, and Deinonychus

Bad boys: Saurophagnanax and Megalosaurus, Carnotaurus and Yangchuanosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus (gotta love this guy!) and Majungasaurus

The odd and lone mammal, the mammoth

Mini version of the missing Pawpawsaurus. The large version look exactly like this.

Some group photos op

Some figures have small versions as well

Really tiny keychains of some of the figures, oddly, the Lambeosaurus is not part of the large figure set

In addition to the large figures, there are also many version, mostly mini ones. Some are part of the mat set, others came in blind bags. I don't have a lot of the small figures at all, too many to try and find :))

So, your eyes hurting yet? ;D These colorful collection is worth acquiring as they are really fun group. Not sure how easily they are to find today. I got mine many years ago.
So, hope you enjoyed this part one, next we will look at the Happiness set!
Till then, cheers and thanks for looking!

Jose S.M.

There are several of this that I found really good, despite the seams and color I would get them if they were easier to find. All the ornithopods are lovely!

ceratopsian

The key rings are adorable!  And overall the bright colours are a good antidote to the miserable dull and wet "spring" we are slogging through here. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: