You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on May 23, 2019, 12:31:27 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on May 22, 2019, 11:58:31 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 22, 2019, 09:37:24 PM
Ah! And since this is the "Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys" thread I should signify a controversial opinion here.
Jurassic Park sucks!!  ..... totally :-X .
You know you just signed your dead sentence, right?
As a rational human being I am going to respect your opinion and I´m not going to participate in your persecution but I have to ask, even the first movie?

I mean, lets be honest, without the first movie the public would probably won't be interested in dinosaurs and we probably would not have a lot of the things this wonderfull hobby has give us, they would probably be less toys, less statues and collectibles, less art, less books, less content. Paleontology will still be a thing, but I feel dinosaurs will not have the mass appeal they have today, and less demand means less offer.

Not to mention, less paleontologists. How many up and coming paleontologists got their spark of inspiration from watching Jurassic Park. Museums too have prospered from the dino-mania generated by Jurassic Park. Professionals and armchair amateurs may get fed up with the inaccuracies of Jurassic Park but I really think the interest it generated in dinosaurs far outweighs any of the cons.

I agree that the first movie had a positive effect on the field of paleontology and the dinosaur toy market, but the other four films should never have been made.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 29, 2019, 04:35:45 PM
Ah! And since this is the "Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys" thread I should signify a controversial opinion here.
As a rational human being I am going to respect your opinion and I´m not going to participate in your persecution but I have to ask, even the first movie?

I mean, lets be honest, without the first movie the public would probably won't be interested in dinosaurs and we probably would not have a lot of the things this wonderfull hobby has give us, they would probably be less toys, less statues and collectibles, less art, less books, less content. Paleontology will still be a thing, but I feel dinosaurs will not have the mass appeal they have today, and less demand means less offer.

Not to mention, less paleontologists. How many up and coming paleontologists got their spark of inspiration from watching Jurassic Park. Museums too have prospered from the dino-mania generated by Jurassic Park. Professionals and armchair amateurs may get fed up with the inaccuracies of Jurassic Park but I really think the interest it generated in dinosaurs far outweighs any of the cons.

I agree that the first movie had a positive effect on the field of paleontology and the dinosaur toy market, but the other four films should never have been made.

A-freaking-men to that, good sir! For myself, I frankly cannot bear watching any of those films. I ended up doing household chores while the last one played in the background, and I still feel like I wasted my time, not to mention the rental money.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 29, 2019, 04:35:45 PM

I mostly agree, I don't really hate any of the sequels but they're certainly not in the same league as the original. Jurassic Park was a legitimately good film but it was the only one. And I include The Lost World in there, a lot of people think it's good and it's really not. But I still watch them, and old dinosaur movies like The Land Unknown and Unknown Island, so for me at least none of the sequels are that bad. Good dinosaur movies are few and far between, and always have been, sometimes I just take what I can get.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

To bring this sort of back on topic, I think that PNSO's new Ankylosaurus is underwhelming (the Stegosaurus too if that counts). I still prefer both of the Safari Ltd most recent Ankylosaurus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on June 02, 2019, 11:08:18 PM
To bring this sort of back on topic, I think that PNSO's new Ankylosaurus is underwhelming (the Stegosaurus too if that counts). I still prefer both of the Safari Ltd most recent Ankylosaurus.

Interesting! I've fallen for the Ankylosaurus myself, though I'd have preferred it be smaller. But I definitely agree on the Stegosaurus, it doesn't interest me at all.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Ravonium

Seconded. I'm personally still waiting patiently for that Gigantoraptor they teased a while back.

Shonisaurus

Honestly speaking of gigantoraptor I think a great figure is the gigantoraptor miniature of Capcom superior to its collecta counterpart even if it is smaller.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 03, 2019, 12:19:27 AM

Interesting! I've fallen for the Ankylosaurus myself, though I'd have preferred it be smaller. But I definitely agree on the Stegosaurus, it doesn't interest me at all.

I agree, that Ankylosaurus is fantastic, to suggest otherwise is a controversial opinion indeed! But the Stegosaurus is a letdown. Maybe if Sophie wasn't a thing, Safari hand't just released theirs, and the paint job was better, it would be easier to get behind it.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on June 08, 2019, 02:08:52 AM

I agree, that Ankylosaurus is fantastic, to suggest otherwise is a controversial opinion indeed! But the Stegosaurus is a letdown. Maybe if Sophie wasn't a thing, Safari hand't just released theirs, and the paint job was better, it would be easier to get behind it.

Honestly, I like Safari stegosaurus "Sophie" by far more than any other toy dinosaur brand. The PNSO stegosaurus is next to the megalodon of the same line (Ojo! I do not mean its vinyl counterpart) the two weakest figures of the PNSO brand.

John

Not only is PNSO's new Stegosaurus better sculpted overall than any other out there,it is also the most accurate,updated one depicting an adult there is (Safari Ltd's new one is a sub-adult),so it is in no way a "let down". 8)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Killekor

I prefear too the PNSO Stegosaurus over the Safari one, which I never liked. It looks more elegant (although I'll probably never get it for it's small size).
Another opinion: I like a lot REBOR's new dilophosaurus pair, and I also like how they're sculpted!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Gwangi on June 08, 2019, 02:08:52 AM

Sophie is pretty darn different than the S. stenops holotype in terms of plate shape at least. I wouldn't compare a figure based on one to a figure based on the other to evaluate accuracy. The PNSO Stegosaurus is a pretty good representation of the holotype, plus it's 1:35 or 1:40 scale, so bonus.

https://www.deviantart.com/mattmart/art/Stegosaurus-Comparison-624508168
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Takama

Im not sure if this is a Controversial Opinon or not, but I think we should take the scales that most companys gvie there models with a grain of salt.

For instance.  CollectA has always listed there deluxe models as 1:40 Scale, when they are rarly ever come close to that. 

Another example is PNSO. There so called 1:35 Scale models are actully more like 1:30 or bigger.  The worst offender is there Amargasaurus, which is the same size as the Mamenchisaurus, when it should be one of the smallest Sauropod Dinosaurs out there.

So keep this in mind when your trying to create a 1:40/1:35 Scale Collection of Dinosaurs. Because chances are the animals these comapnys claim to be in scale are anything but.

Concavenator

Eofauna may be the only company whose models are in the scale they're claimed to be  :P

That said, I personally don't care about scale at all.All I really care is that the model itself is very good.

However, I understand that some people like to collect figures of a certain scale (1:40?), because it would display nicely, but it also would not allow smaller species to be represented, like dromaeosaurs, oviraptorids, troodontids...

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Concavenator on June 09, 2019, 08:47:14 AM
Eofauna may be the only company whose models are in the scale they're claimed to be  :P

That said, I personally don't care about scale at all.All I really care is that the model itself is very good.

However, I understand that some people like to collect figures of a certain scale (1:40?), because it would display nicely, but it also would not allow smaller species to be represented, like dromaeosaurs, oviraptorids, troodontids...

I miss tiny figures in 1:40 scale. Like the original Carnegie Protoceratops, Dimetrodon, etc. Lots of size variation gave the line variety and character and allowed for nice looking displays. Now, scale is ignored so all figures can be around the same size which allows more detailed sculpts, but makes everything homogeneous.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Ravonium

Quote from: Takama on June 09, 2019, 01:01:12 AM
Im not sure if this is a Controversial Opinon or not, but I think we should take the scales that most companys gvie there models with a grain of salt.

This isn't really a 'controversial opinion' so much as it is a 'fact of life'  :P

Lizerd

Quote from: Ravonium on June 09, 2019, 01:06:18 PM
Quote from: Takama on June 09, 2019, 01:01:12 AM

This isn't really a 'controversial opinion' so much as it is a 'fact of life'  :P
Agreed, very few companies will actually depict dinosaurs with their most accurate skin coverings, preferring more "cool" models that will generally appeal to the public.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Lizerd on June 09, 2019, 04:46:20 PM
Agreed, very few companies will actually depict dinosaurs with their most accurate skin coverings, preferring more "cool" models that will generally appeal to the public.

I'm very sure they are refering to scale as in size relative to their real life counterparts, as in when we say it's a  1:35 Allosaurus toy it means the real life Allo is 35 times the size of the toy.

Halichoeres

I also like tiny figures in 1:40. There are some out there if you're willing to hunt a bit, but the range of taxa is pretty limited.

Ravonium

Time for a new controversial opinion for the forum to dissect:

I like the stereotypical 'red plates, green body' colouration of Stegosaurus (and any variation of it) more than any other colouration that's been applied to a Stegosaurus figure so far.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: