You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 22, 2019, 03:10:25 AM
Quote from: DragonRider02 on October 21, 2019, 12:38:56 PM
I wonder if he could make series of marine reptiles

That would be amazing.

I'd be very interested in a Mosasaurs Series, although I reckon it'd be brutal on bank accounts, especially Mosasaurus itself and Tylosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on October 22, 2019, 03:33:25 AM

That would be amazing.

I'd be very interested in a Mosasaurs Series, although I reckon it'd be brutal on bank accounts, especially Mosasaurus itself and Tylosaurus.

I wonder if there's enough variety in mosasaurs to make a whole series worthwhile? The difference between species can often be fairly subtle... Plesiosaurus might work better, especially if he includes pliosaurs. But I still think pterosaurs would be the best non-dino bet in terms of variety of well known species achievable with minimal part swapping. I'm not sure how wing articulation would work though. Maybe include two sets, one flying and one walking pose?
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

DragonRider02

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 22, 2019, 12:43:20 PM

That would be amazing.

I wonder if there's enough variety in mosasaurs to make a whole series worthwhile? The difference between species can often be fairly subtle... Plesiosaurus might work better, especially if he includes pliosaurs. But I still think pterosaurs would be the best non-dino bet in terms of variety of well known species achievable with minimal part swapping. I'm not sure how wing articulation would work though. Maybe include two sets, one flying and one walking pose?
Pterosaur would be marvelous, but they would probably have to include two sets of wings, one for flying pose one for Quadropedal stance, and that would probably make them expensive.

stargatedalek

Pterosaurs are a lot more lithe even than the raptor models, and many don't have long tails to consider. Having an extra set of wings is a really good idea and likely wouldn't break the bank.

suspsy

That would be amazing.

I wonder if there's enough variety in mosasaurs to make a whole series worthwhile? The difference between species can often be fairly subtle... Plesiosaurus might work better, especially if he includes pliosaurs

I would argue that BotM mosasaurs could show more differentiation than the raptors did. Mosasaurus and Prognathodon have very robust skulls and massive bodies, whereas Tylosaurus is slimmer and more streamlined. And Globidens, of course, has its distinctive set of teeth.

Another idea is to do a jumble of sea monsters at the same time. A few mosasaurs, a few pliosaurs, a few elasmosaurs, etc.

QuoteBut I still think pterosaurs would be the best non-dino bet in terms of variety of well known species achievable with minimal part swapping. I'm not sure how wing articulation would work though. Maybe include two sets, one flying and one walking pose?

I'd be terrified of the wings breaking.

Faelrin

I think a mix of what the Mattel figures did with their Pteranodon (such as the joint that allows the wings to fold up), etc, and the Hasbro JPIII Pteranodon was good for articulated wings (where it was ball hinged at the shoulders, which is also similar to the Mattel BD Pteranodon figures), although it does limit posibility, but it would probably keep things simplified.

Edit: I probably mentioned this all before, but I really would love to see hadrosaurids done though. Aside from this whole recent hoof stuff, hadrosaurids were likely prime game for tyrannosaurids, aside from being contemporaneous with both those and the ceratopsians, in many cases. Additionally there is so much integument preserved for these, in addition to the "mummy" specimens for several species. And of course the lambeosaurines also had fancy headgear much like the ceratopsians did. A BotM line of these would be fantastic, especially as many species are neglected, and maybe only have one or two figures, exception being Parasaurolophus. The hardest part would possibly be generating interest for them, although I'm sure there will be those that want a bunch, if they can afford to do so. Honestly aside from Parasaurolophus, and both species of Edmontosaurus, my ideal species for such a lineup would include Lambeosaurus, Maiasaura, Saurolophus, Gryposaurus, Brachylophosaurus, Olorotitan, Corythosaurus, Tsintaosaurus, if not more. I wouldn't expect Shantungasaurus would work well in 1/18th scale unless offered as a sub adult considering the potential size of that one, but then again maybe a smaller scale would be better considering how large some hadrosaurid species often got. I'm not sure if parts sharing would work as well either with all the various integument available for species, unless it is all largely the same texturing.  I wouldn't even know what coloration's could be used, though I would expect flashy colors on the crested species anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Honestly if they were resistant, I would like a series of pterosaurs by BoTM are prehistoric animals that take up little space and can be hung by threads on the ceilings is the advantage that these figures have, even if they are four-legged they occupy less space than a quadruped prehistoric animal, for example, even Collecta's Supreme Deluxe figures take up little space and are less uncomfortable at least for me to place them on the shelves.

Pterosaurs although it seems silly what I am saying need much more representation of many of their figures in the toy market and even collectibles. They are perhaps the rarest Mesozoic vertebrates I know.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on October 22, 2019, 04:01:28 PM

That would be amazing.

I wonder if there's enough variety in mosasaurs to make a whole series worthwhile? The difference between species can often be fairly subtle... Plesiosaurus might work better, especially if he includes pliosaurs

I would argue that BotM mosasaurs could show more differentiation than the raptors did. Mosasaurus and Prognathodon have very robust skulls and massive bodies, whereas Tylosaurus is slimmer and more streamlined. And Globidens, of course, has its distinctive set of teeth.

Another idea is to do a jumble of sea monsters at the same time. A few mosasaurs, a few pliosaurs, a few elasmosaurs, etc.

QuoteBut I still think pterosaurs would be the best non-dino bet in terms of variety of well known species achievable with minimal part swapping. I'm not sure how wing articulation would work though. Maybe include two sets, one flying and one walking pose?

I'd be terrified of the wings breaking.

Yeah, there are definitely differences in mosasaurs, but since they're less well known I wonder how many multiples people would get. Though to be fair I was baffled people bought so many raptors, they all look like repaints of the same couple figures to me!

As for pterosaur wings, they'd have to be made of softer plastic. Maybe the bendy stuff like the raptors tails?

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on October 22, 2019, 04:01:28 PM

I think this is probably how it would go if he did any marine reptiles at all, a few representatives each of several major clades. The corollary of marine reptiles being pretty similar in body plan is that they would be great for part sharing. 1:18 is a pretty good scale for mid-sized taxa, but to me a 1:18 Elasmosaurus or Mosasaurus seems completely untenable. Personally, I'd be more keen on some of those mid-sized taxa anyway.

All the same, I think avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin's wish is likeliest to come true. Hadrosaurs are the most popular dinosaurs that people like to claim are unpopular, and their sharing a habitat with ceratopsians and tyrannosaurs makes them seem like a natural next step. And the point about their being ideal for part sharing is no small consideration.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: suspsy on October 21, 2019, 12:53:04 PM
So as far as the Tyrannosaur Series is concerned, we would certainly be getting:

Tyrannosaurus rex, obviously.
Tarbosaurus
Zhuchengtyrannus
Albertosaurus
Daspletosaurus
Gorgosaurus
Bistahieversor
Lythronax
Teratophoneus
Nanuqsaurus
Alioramus
Qianzhousaurus

Nanotyrannus could arguably double as a juvenile T. rex, similar to what David did with Monoclonius and Centrosaurus. I'm not sure if Dynamoterror should be included, as it's so very fragmentary and no one knows what the head really looked like. As for tyrannosauroids, I don't think it would be necessary to try and do a whole bunch of them, but Yutyrannus would probably be a shoe-in given its popularity among dinophiles.

If he was able to do an Appalachiosaurus figure, he would be my hero.

suspsy

Quote from: LeviRawl on October 23, 2019, 12:10:36 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 21, 2019, 12:53:04 PM
So as far as the Tyrannosaur Series is concerned, we would certainly be getting:

Tyrannosaurus rex, obviously.
Tarbosaurus
Zhuchengtyrannus
Albertosaurus
Daspletosaurus
Gorgosaurus
Bistahieversor
Lythronax
Teratophoneus
Nanuqsaurus
Alioramus
Qianzhousaurus

Nanotyrannus could arguably double as a juvenile T. rex, similar to what David did with Monoclonius and Centrosaurus. I'm not sure if Dynamoterror should be included, as it's so very fragmentary and no one knows what the head really looked like. As for tyrannosauroids, I don't think it would be necessary to try and do a whole bunch of them, but Yutyrannus would probably be a shoe-in given its popularity among dinophiles.

If he was able to do an Appalachiosaurus figure, he would be my hero.

Dryptosaurus would also be much appreciated!

Flaffy

I wonder if David will include Iguanodonts in a potential Hadrosaur/Ornithopod series.
I'm personally extremely interested in a Hadrosaur series, as it's one of the most neglected groups of "popular" dinosaurs. With only Parasaurolophus getting any mainstream attention.

The ease of part sharing in a series that consists exclusively of Hadrosaurids would hopefully bring costs down, as a lot of them would essentially be head swaps of one another.
The main issue with a Hadrosaur series however is the size. 1/18 scale hadrosaurs would prove to be costly and non-space friendly, maybe even more so than the ceratopsians. I really wish the line was at 1/24 scale...

Shonisaurus

A smart bet would be the series of ostrich dinosaurs, struthiomimus, gallimimus, pelecanimimus ... they are not excessively dinosaurs like raptors and very undervalued in the toy market and even in serious collecting (resin).

stargatedalek

Ornithomimids might not go half bad actually, could easily be a "mixed group" line sharing most of their parts with other groups like Alvarezsaurids or even mix their legs with heads and arms from the raptors for Unenlagiines.

Halichoeres

Ornithomimosaurs are definitely easier to do at 1/18, although I think there will be plenty of people who would complain that they are too small. Like Flaffy, I would have preferred 1/24 scale for the ceratopsian and succeeding lines, as I think it offers more flexibility. I struggle to imagine the palatial homes that people must have to be able to accommodate 1/18 rexes, trikes, and hadrosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

anyone know why he didn't offer more smaller ceratopsians like the zuniceratops?  I would have actuality preferred a smaller size figure if there had been other species/color options available. I don't think the zuni is bad at all but I liked the color of the larger figures more, and that there were more color options with the mid and larger sizes. I hope when he makes the tyrannosaurs and any future genus like hadrosaurs he offers more options for the smaller sizes.

Loon

I'm wondering if the tyrannosaurus series would include smaller species like proceratosaurus or quanlong? But, if I only get one (other than tyrannosaurus) I would want a yutyrannus.

suspsy

Quote from: Loon on October 23, 2019, 11:56:26 PM
I'm wondering if the tyrannosaurus series would include smaller species like proceratosaurus or quanlong? But, if I only get one (other than tyrannosaurus) I would want a yutyrannus.

I would think that David will do for any small tyrannosauroids he makes the same thing he did for the Protoceratops and Psittacosaurus: make them big.

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 23, 2019, 04:36:59 PMI struggle to imagine the palatial homes that people must have to be able to accommodate 1/18 rexes, trikes, and hadrosaurs.

If David really does pull off a 1/18 T. rex, I reckon I'll have to keep it on my desk. It's either that or put away a bunch of the T. rexes on top of the display cabinet.

ZoPteryx

I think oviraptorosaurs are another good candidate for a series.  They could share parts easily, work well at 1/6 scale like the raptors, have diverse enough head shapes to make each unique like the ceratopsians, and include some smaller members suitable for accessory kits.

Like others have said, hadrosaurs and pterosaurs would also be good options.  For the pterosaur wings I don't see why he'd have to include flying and walking wings, provided he includes different hands for those purposes and there's a little mobility in the wrist joint.  The membrane would of course need to have splits in it and wouldn't look perfect from every angle, especially in walking poses, but I think that preferable to the limbs themselves folding improperly.  I envision something like this: a rotating hinge at the shoulder with good vertical range of motion like the raptor arms, a simple hinge at the elbow like the raptors, another rotating hinge at the wrist that allows for some inward motion (or if that's not possible, another simple hinge), and a final simple hinge at the base of the wing finger.  With cleverly placed sections of overlap, the membranes could appear seamless everywhere except probably at the junction with the body.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 23, 2019, 04:36:59 PM
Ornithomimosaurs are definitely easier to do at 1/18, although I think there will be plenty of people who would complain that they are too small. Like Flaffy, I would have preferred 1/24 scale for the ceratopsian and succeeding lines, as I think it offers more flexibility. I struggle to imagine the palatial homes that people must have to be able to accommodate 1/18 rexes, trikes, and hadrosaurs.

I would have preferred 1/18 scale ceratopsians... The ones we're getting look more like 1/15 🤐

I get the impression David scaled these based on length estimates again, which is bad for any figure but tend to be especially bad for ceratopsians due to weird posture and short tails that paleontologists seem to consistently overestimate when incomplete. Scaling to skull length is always a better bet.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: