News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I don't know about that. It seems far more likely that A. jimmadseni is the template for both versions. It's always possible that A. fragilis will be released sometime in the future just like the multiple species of Velociraptor and Saurornitholestes, but given that David hasn't yet announced Triceratops prorsus or Daspletosaurus horneri, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

JohannesB

Now, that Stegosaurus I might want to own. I hope it will be (relatively) big. I'd certainly want to make it rear up on it's hind legs a bit 8)

Sim

In the list of Cyberzoic species, David identified the Allosaurus as being A. fragilis though...

Darko2300

Quote from: Sim on July 19, 2022, 03:21:12 PMIn the list of Cyberzoic species, David identified the Allosaurus as being A. fragilis though...
We're human. We make mistakes. (And David is a one-man powerhouse on this project. I'm surprised he can remember his own name... 😅)

Duck

He who dwells in pond

Concavenator

Has there been any confirmation as to what species the BotM/Cyberzoic Allosaurus will be? I asked through Instagram and David didn't answer, although I fully understand that he's really busy. I'm aware of it being called A.fragilis in that list from some time ago, but then again looking at the concept art it looks like A.jimmadseni. This reminds me of what happened in PNSO's case.

On another hand, do you think the Allosaurus and the Acrocanthosaurus will be the same size? That would be odd, but then again the Tarbosaurus and the Daspleto/Alberto/Gorgo are all the same size despite the former being larger in real life.

suspsy

David previously said that the Acrocanthosaurus would be close to the size of the Tyrannosaurus.

And I'm still pretty sure that the Allosaurus is going to be fragilis. But we shall see in time.

Concavenator

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Thank you! We will just have to wait and see the sizes of the Allosaurus and the Acrocanthosaurus. I wonder if the Acrocanthosaurus will be bigger than the Body 4 tyrannosaurs...it should be. And of course it should be bigger than the Allosaurus as well.

Regarding what species the Allosaurus will be, I think this should be clear whenever David releases the finished colour scheme, when the Stego's came out it was specified it's going to be S.stenops.

Sim

I was talking with David again recently and I asked him about which Allosaurus species he will make.  That was right before he left for a convention though I think, and I don't expect a reply from him until he comes back.  If he answers my question I'll share the answer here.

Sim

Well, good news for those that like Allosaurus, there's four versions of Allosaurus planned by David!  David replied to me and said this: "Cyberzoic will introduce A. fragilis and BotM will introduce A. jimmadseni, but each will eventually receive a counterpart in the other line."

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I wonder if you will make an exception to your 1 figure per genus rule and get both species? :)  avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon, how many do you think you'll get? :))

Darko2300

I'm starting to wonder if I'll live long enough to see this line completed... 😳

Concavenator

Thank you for sharing, avatar_Sim @Sim !

I'm surprised David will be releasing > 1 species of Allosaurus as he only released 1 species of Triceratops for example, but it's appreciated.

And I don't intend to make an exception to that rule, despite it being my favorite dinosaur. I don't have an Allosaurus in my collection at the moment, so for me, it's either the PNSO or the BotM. Normally I would go with the PNSO because I really like it and I would be saving space and money, but technically, the BotM is probably superior because of the certainty of it having the enlarged thumbclaw (as opposed to the PNSO where some copies have it, like yours, and others don't), the presence of lips and the lack of those speculative spikes. So admittedly during the last few days I've been wondering whether to get the PNSO or to wait for the BotM... I'm assuming the Allosaurus will be the same size as the Tarbo/Daspleto/Alberto/Gorgosaurus figures and so the same price. That price's more than I'm comfortable paying for a figure, but Allosaurus is my all time favorite dinosaur and I've been wondering if it's worth it paying that much for a top notch figure of my favorite dinosaur, so I could probably make an exception for it, I will think about it. Right now I'm not sure which one of those 2 go for, but that rule is the key of my collecting style right now (I have avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres to thank for) and I don't plan to break it.

I usually only get BotM figures if there aren't any other decent alternatives for the respective genus (like the upcoming Utahraptor) or if they're quite a bit nicer than other existing figures of the same genus imo (like Diabloceratops) but like I said Allosaurus is my favorite dinosaur so who knows... I'm sure the figure will be really good. That said, if I really get it it will be an exception already, as it breaks the rule of size limit of my collection. I also like the BotM Gorgo/Alberto/Daspletosaurus figures and they're taxa I'm interested in but they're out of the question for me because I can't justify them imo. I like those genera but they're not among my favorite dinosaurs, so I would go with alternatives like the Safari versions of Albertosaurus and Daspletosaurus which are also excellent. Also, I prefer calm/static poses so I don't care for the whole articulation thing, yet I'm still interested in BotM because they're truly excellent and are usually scientifically accurate.

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, if you're trying to decide between the PNSO and BotM Allosaurus I think it might be helpful to hold off on making a decision until you receive your BotM Diabloceratops.  I think once you have your Diabloceratops you'll have a better idea if you like that kind of figure.  It might also be helpful to wait until the BotM Allo has its prototype completed as that might make you know what you would prefer.  Regarding your preference for poses, I think an advantage of the BotM Allosaurus is you can put it in different calm/static poses.

Personally, I'm very happy David is producing Allosaurus fragilis and Allosaurus jimmadseni and I plan to get one figure of each.  On a side note, I noticed my previous post was a bit of a mess due to being posted late at night, so I fixed it earlier even though it was clear what it said.

Earlier today I saw photos of the unpainted prototypes of the Cyberzoic Utahraptor and Achillobator and they look spectacular!  Their claws and feathers are rendered so well.  I'll be very happy to have the Utahraptor!

Also, I saw a new version of a Cyberzoic image that had been shared earlier, here it is:

Image from here: https://twitter.com/Beast_SculptKit/status/1553065164404039682/photo/1
It looks like this is a preview of the Cyberzoic Tyrannosaurus and Ceratosaurus colourations!  And another exciting thing is David confirmed the dinosaur in the background isn't an ornithopod, it's a spinosaurid!  I just hope the figure of it won't be quadrupedal.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim Not to worry about that spinosaurid in the concept art. If you zoom in on the image, the limbs are in correct position and just hanging low, so they look like they touch the ground.

And that Ceratosaurus coloration is very refreshing. I know the Papo had that bright green one, but it just wasn't my thing. This on the other hand is. Of course if this gets an alt coloration like the BotM one, then I may have to wait and see which I prefer first.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I'm guessing the spinosaur is Baryonyx. Decent size combined with name recognition.

suspsy

Probably also worth noting that Jim Kirkland has expressed doubt about Achillobator being a dromaeosaur based on its pelvis, which he says is more primitive and tyrannosaur-like.

Sim

I saw Jim Kirkland express that opinion some years ago, and Scott Hartman responded it was an unusual opinion to have, from what I remember.  The holotype of Achillobator preserves the bony tail rods that are only found in dromaeosaurids among dinosaurs.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, thanks regarding the spinosaurid, that's good to know! :)

Sim

Regarding Achillobator, in addition to what I mentioned in my previous post, it has been found to be a dromaeosaurid by many analyses which is summarised on The Theropod Database.  Additionally I just compared its pelvis and it looks nearly identical to Utahraptor's and looks very different to Tarbosaurus's and Tyrannosaurus's.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Thank you for the advice, and that makes sense. I will think about it!

Also, I'm surprised you will be getting both species of Allosaurus, I thought you weren't much into allosauroids. On another note, won't you be getting the Achillobator? I know you like dromaeosaurids a lot, and that will be the first time that genus is made in model form. Maybe you're not interested in it because of its fragmentary status? I found this skeletal:

It's not super complete, but hey, that's better than the Dakotaraptor so many people are requesting:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: