News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu - New for 2022

Started by Bread, October 24, 2021, 03:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

Blade-of-the-Moon

This is the first pic I've saw showing the Nanmu Brachio from the front of it's face.  It's hard to tell but the top of it's skull looks pretty thin? Something I was concerned about from the start when I couldn't see it.

Shonisaurus

Nanmu's brachiosaurus is fabulous and it must be huge. I will celebrate if any DTF members acquire it. It is a very pretty figure.

Carnoking

I am so torn right now.
Just got the shipping update regarding the rearing brach and now I'm not sure what to do. On one hand, this is another dream figure and with so few in existence (and apparently even fewer that are actually intact) the prospect of getting a decent copy is too alluring to just say thanks but no thanks. On the other hand, dropping hundreds of dollars onto a figure that will just as likely as not show up in pieces is a hard pill to swallow. I suppose it's one of those things that comes down to reward outweighing risk or vis versa but I wanted to hear from fellow collectors what they think on the matter.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on January 14, 2022, 04:04:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiqGu4hpyd8&ab_channel=DinosDragons

I paid the extra for mine to ship DHL and it hasn't shipped yet.  I contacted Lana about this issue to see if they were going to try and pack it better or maybe are asking Nanmu what to do?  It's not a good thing to have such an issue for a distributor so I'm sure they will try and figure out something.

JohannesB

The standing/walking Brach is made of PVC, but why for heaven's sake would they make the rearing Brach out of resin? Is resin more "luxurious"?  (I myself see no advantage of resin over plastic, but maybe I am missing something here..) I hope all of yours will arrive in one piece. Anyhow, considering the fact that so many of these figures arrive damaged because of bad/improper packaging, Nanmu should immediately stop shipping those and give refunds, no questions asked, IMO.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: JohannesB on January 14, 2022, 04:49:30 PM
The standing/walking Brach is made of PVC, but why for heaven's sake would they make the rearing Brach of resin? I hope all of yours will arrive in one piece. Anyhow, Nanmu should immediately stop shipping those and give refunds, IMO.

My first thought is it's to anchor the pins in better?  Given the size it needed quite a bit.  I'm sure Lana would take care of those that ordered from them, in my past experience they care a lot about customers.  They may have even received their stock damaged, another reason mine hasn't shipped?   We'll see what they say.  They took a lot of preorders.  I'd like to know who all these folks receiving them already ordered from? 

Bread

The standing/walking Brach is made of PVC, but why for heaven's sake would they make the rearing Brach of resin? I hope all of yours will arrive in one piece. Anyhow, Nanmu should immediately stop shipping those and give refunds, IMO.
Agreed 100%. I'd avoid this model at all cost, unless packaging is resolved.

Off topic, but I am glad that this reviewer is honest. If he were to fix this model and review it, I think it would be a little distasteful.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Carnoking on January 12, 2022, 03:10:58 PM
When I compiled the list of prehistoric releases from 2021, I found the ratio between scientific and pop culture models to be quite stilted with scientific models once again reining supreme (if you remove Mattel's movie toys from the equation). This is in large part thanks to PNSO's continual onslaught but either way, it would seem the pendulum has swung back to favor more scientific releases.

I'm not sure why you would remove Mattel from the equation, as they're the single largest purveyor of pop culture dinos. I guess if you're focused just on medium- to high-end figures for adult collectors, I could see that, but I'd just reiterate that there is much more variety in prehistory than there is in movie monsters, so from that perspective any given movie design gets many times more attention, on average, than any given actual prehistoric animal.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Carnoking

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 14, 2022, 05:10:45 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on January 12, 2022, 03:10:58 PM
When I compiled the list of prehistoric releases from 2021, I found the ratio between scientific and pop culture models to be quite stilted with scientific models once again reining supreme (if you remove Mattel's movie toys from the equation). This is in large part thanks to PNSO's continual onslaught but either way, it would seem the pendulum has swung back to favor more scientific releases.

I'm not sure why you would remove Mattel from the equation, as they're the single largest purveyor of pop culture dinos. I guess if you're focused just on medium- to high-end figures for adult collectors, I could see that, but I'd just reiterate that there is much more variety in prehistory than there is in movie monsters, so from that perspective any given movie design gets many times more attention, on average, than any given actual prehistoric animal.

I guess I mentally separate Mattel from the equation seeing as it's their specific task to produce those movie inspired toys and figures for Universal (and now to an extent, the same could be said for W-Dragon).
I see the argument for too much focus on movie monsters pertaining more to companies who have no contractual reason to produce such figures, and can instead do something more accurate should they so choose (companies like Nanmu, Papo, and REBOR). But whereas Nanmu seems set in their ways, REBOR seems to be achieving some form of equilibrium between the two sides of the spectrum (despite some stylization still present), and Papo had started a similar trend some years back of balancing their focus with mixed results before they went off the rails.

Although I'm certain there are other brands I'm just not aware of as a collector and there are also countless unbranded products that draw obvious inspiration from pop-culture, as far as I'm aware at this point, Nanmu is really the only unofficial producer of exclusively movie monster inspired products.

That isn't to say I disagree that the movie figures get more attention, especially from consumers. Still, I do think we've reached a great place in collecting as there are so many great, high quality options for fans of either/or, or both when just a few years back such bountiful options (particularly for scientific figures) were much more limited.

need4swede

I am contemplating whether to cancel or proceed with my standing Brach order - the cost of the shipping isn't as big of an issue compared to whether or not the shipping cost is refundable if the figure arrives damaged.

I ordered mine trough Lana, and they quoted me $80 for shipping via DHL. If that $80 is non-refundable (given that the figure arrives damaged), then it's essentially an $80 losing scratch ticket.

I think this sort of thing is best remedied by having the OEM help distributors by either covering the cost (even partially) or by recalling the figures and preserving the Pre-Orders for existing customers. If I had to pick between the $80 scratch ticket and having to wait a few months while Nanmu fixes the packaging, I'd rather have the latter - but I don't want to have to cancel my pre-order, since I still want the figure.
- Swede

Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex

The standing/walking Brach is made of PVC, but why for heaven's sake would they make the rearing Brach out of resin? Is resin more "luxurious"?  (I myself see no advantage of resin over plastic, but maybe I am missing something here..) I hope all of yours will arrive in one piece. Anyhow, considering the fact that so many of these figures arrive damaged because of bad packaging, Nanmu should immediately stop shipping those and give refunds, no questions asked, IMO.

I'm sure a part of the reason it's made from resin is the constant onslaught of collectors commenting on their instagram or facebook posts telling them that PVC is cheap and they want the figure made from resin. They all want heavy figures, which drives the price up because of shipping and makes them predisposed to breaking. It's so annoying. If it wasn't for the constant pressure from them maybe Nanmu would have actually made the figure from PVC and we could have all avoided this huge mess. I hope this is a lesson to these commenters and Nanmu that making the figure from a heavier material can actually be extremely detrimental.

JohannesB

Quote from: Doyouthinkhesaurus Rex on January 14, 2022, 08:28:47 PM
The standing/walking Brach is made of PVC, but why for heaven's sake would they make the rearing Brach out of resin? Is resin more "luxurious"?  (I myself see no advantage of resin over plastic, but maybe I am missing something here..) I hope all of yours will arrive in one piece. Anyhow, considering the fact that so many of these figures arrive damaged because of bad packaging, Nanmu should immediately stop shipping those and give refunds, no questions asked, IMO.

I'm sure a part of the reason it's made from resin is the constant onslaught of collectors commenting on their instagram or facebook posts telling them that PVC is cheap and they want the figure made from resin. They all want heavy figures, which drives the price up because of shipping and makes them predisposed to breaking. It's so annoying. If it wasn't for the constant pressure from them maybe Nanmu would have actually made the figure from PVC and we could have all avoided this huge mess. I hope this is a lesson to these commenters and Nanmu that making the figure from a heavier material can actually be extremely detrimental.

Indeed. Although I see some value in producing (big) figures out of more "precious" material such as resin, to call PVC cheap, and thereby maybe implying it degrades the model somehow, is something I do not really understand - if the producer does indeed keep the selling price lower because of the lower cost of the material, and the amount of material used (say, for example, when the figure is hollow). The customer is king, of course, but I myself see great benefits in producing figures from more resilient material, even if it can be produced relatively "cheaply". I think that good plastic can be fantastic  8)

Blade-of-the-Moon

At least not all of them are getting broken. 

Sturisoma

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 15, 2022, 04:03:56 AM

Such a  magnificent sight   :'(  I hope the distributors and sellers rectify/strengthen the packaging. Although I wonder if Nanmu will make a pvc version of the standing brachiosaurus, and I don't mind it without the foot pins so it can stand without a base.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sturisoma on January 15, 2022, 04:27:33 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 15, 2022, 04:03:56 AM

Such a  magnificent sight   :'(  I hope the distributors and sellers rectify/strengthen the packaging. Although I wonder if Nanmu will make a pvc version of the standing brachiosaurus, and I don't mind it without the foot pins so it can stand without a base.

They made this one a limited edition so i doubt they would.  Unfortunately it requires the foot pins and base to stay upright.

RobinGoodfellow

As a resin figures collector, I know that there are only two ways to properly ship a fragile figure:

-  a truly oversized packaging (..I mean REALLY oversized..)
-  a box with a very tight "foam" protection around the model (so tight that, often, in order to extract the model, you have to cut the foam with a blade) + a really solid  and heavy cardboard box.

When I heard about the model's release, for a moment I had the idea of ​​pre-ordering it.
Then, thinking about the packaging Nanmu used  up to now, I had the right idea to give up.
And I did well.
When a producer enters a relatively new path, he should at least capitalize on the experience of those who preceded him on the path.
Well-known chinese paleo-artist like M-See usually send large resin figures all around the world without issues (with the second option I talked about).

-

need4swede

I asked Lana if we'd be SOL if the Brach arrived damaged, even with the DHL shipping.
They told me the package was insured and if it arrives with any damages, then we would get compensated and Lana would honor a refund.

And with that, I continued with my order. It's already an expensive piece, so I'm not thrilled about this approach, but it's also gearing up to be a rather rare one. Figured if I didn't want to keep it, I'm sure someone else would - and I'd be more than happy to package it properly, unlike the manufacturer.
- Swede

Sturisoma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70sl5C_80c

So beautiful  :'(

Hope we all get ours in one piece.

Edit: It was a youtube live premiere. Please see LEOMUSEUM's latest video.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: