News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pliosaurking

I've seen a few requests for a phytosaur of some kind which would be great if they make one, as there are a serve lack of them on the market
There was also a request for a barinasuchus which I would also like to see a figure of.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 14, 2022, 05:50:41 PM
A Megaraptoran figure is long overdue, so i'm glad it seems to be one of the most requested items

Well, the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Australovenator has escaped the void and is available for sale again. If you didn't get it back in 2016/2017, you can get it now. There's also the CollectA Fukuiraptor, and the numerous Fukuiraptor figures from Japanese companies.
Megaraptorans in general are woefully fragmentary, and (IMO) there are other, more complete dinosaurs that are more in need of a figure. Gallimimus, Asfaltovenator and Aucasaurus, for example.

Concavenator

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 completely agree on wanting a megaraptoran figure even if they're so fragmentary. They're just such an intriguing and interesting group. I agree there are other groups and genera that would deserve more the fact of being represented as figures, because they are more complete, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a megaraptoran represented in my collection. The examples mentioned by C @CarnotaurusKing are pretty good, and there's also the upcoming DinoZoo Orkoraptor, which has lips and is feathered.

P.S. Underwhelmed at the possibility of Safari releasing a "Stygimoloch". Brachylophosaurus, Zhenyuanlong, Halszkaraptor, Maiasaura and, as pointed out before, Plateosaurus are also waiting, among others.

suspsy

I also would happily buy any and all megaraptoran figures from Safari. My CollectA Fukuiraptor would like some company.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on May 14, 2022, 06:32:22 PM
A Megaraptoran figure is long overdue, so i'm glad it seems to be one of the most requested items

Well, the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Australovenator has escaped the void and is available for sale again. If you didn't get it back in 2016/2017, you can get it now. There's also the CollectA Fukuiraptor, and the numerous Fukuiraptor figures from Japanese companies.
Megaraptorans in general are woefully fragmentary, and (IMO) there are other, more complete dinosaurs that are more in need of a figure. Gallimimus, Asfaltovenator and Aucasaurus, for example.

I agree.  I don't see how a megaraptoran is "long overdue" when they have been made in spite of their fragmentary nature with some regularity resulting in excellent reconstructions of Australovenator and Fukuiraptor that are available.  Something truly long overdue is e.g. Gallimimus, Aucasaurus and ESPECIALLY bipedal sauropodomorphs.  Plateosaurus must be the most well-studied dinosaur to be lacking a satisfactory figure representation.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Sim on May 14, 2022, 02:56:54 PM
Based on a comment Safari made there, it looks like they will be releasing a Stygimoloch.  My excitement for that is zero.

I never thought I'd see Safari respond to a fan with a SpongeBob gif.

Stygimoloch will surely be a great figure, but I would like to see more non-dinosaurs. I suggested Rutiodon, Moa, Basilosaurus, Arthropleura, Columbian Mammoth, Rhizodus, and Plateosaurus-- Classic species that haven't gotten much attention lately.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

This does seem to suggest a Stygimoloch is coming:

Which is quite welcome in my book, regardless of what you call it. As much as I'd like Safari to do some non-dinosaurs, they clearly know where their bread is buttered. And I'm happy that at least this year there are some non-theropods.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on May 14, 2022, 06:21:35 PM
avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954, as far as I'm aware the Stygimoloch specimens are juveniles.  But regardless of whether it is a distinct species or simply a growth stage/example of sexual dimorphism of Pachycephalosaurus, I'm simply not interested in it.
iirc they are also all from younger rocks than P. wyomingensis
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on May 14, 2022, 06:32:22 PM

Don't like Banjo's osteoderms or paint apps, also don't want to pay that much for him. CollectA's Fukuiraptor is better but the claws are woefully short. Both have problems with the skull shape

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on May 14, 2022, 06:39:45 PM
avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 completely agree on wanting a megaraptoran figure even if they're so fragmentary. They're just such an intriguing and interesting group. I agree there are other groups and genera that would deserve more the fact of being represented as figures, because they are more complete, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a megaraptoran represented in my collection. The examples mentioned by C @CarnotaurusKing are pretty good, and there's also the upcoming DinoZoo Orkoraptor, which has lips and is feathered.

P.S. Underwhelmed at the possibility of Safari releasing a "Stygimoloch". Brachylophosaurus, Zhenyuanlong, Halszkaraptor, Maiasaura and, as pointed out before, Plateosaurus are also waiting, among others.
Orkoraptor looks good, but since Dinozoo figures are not sold on Amazon (UK) or Everything Dinosaur yet then I won't be able to buy anything from them

GojiraGuy1954

I also prefer my megaraptorans featherless

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Takama on May 14, 2022, 04:40:43 PM
If it ties into Dino Dana or have some sort of Coloration that indicates its a JUVINILE form of Pachycephalosaurus.     I will have a lot of Qustions for Safrai LTD

As one person said (I cant remember if it was here or Facebook) Did they not used to Work With PALEONTOLIGISTS? ::)

It's uncanny how Shane's posts explaining things always get lost amid complaints, here's the explanation. ::)
Quote from: Shane on May 03, 2022, 03:42:10 PM
The movie goes into great detail about how dinosaurs that were once considered their own genus are now thought by many to be different growth stages of the same dinosaur.

It is teaching kids the exact opposite of what the people here are complaining about. The movie (and the figure) are encouraging kids to question the notion that everything is cut and dry, that the science of paleontology is set in stone (sorry for the pun), by showing that some dinosaur genera get folded into others as more knowledge comes to light.

Just because Nanotyrannus is not a technically valid genus, does all evidence of its existence need to be stricken from consciousness? As if paleontologists never named a dinosaur Nanotyrannus?

Or do we teach that sometimes paleontologists get it wrong, and encourage kids to ask questions?

I don't expect that anyone in this forum has watched the movie, it's a kid's movie after all. But these are kid figures. They appeal to collectors like us by and large because we grew up with them and learned from them and continue to learn from them. But they are still figures first and foremost designed for children, and the goal was to teach and inform them about the history of this genus.

You can disagree with whether or not this is the most effective way to do it. That's fine. But I genuinely think some of the reactions here are quite hyperbolic.

On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Takama

I should of Clarifiyd That I met to say if it ties into the film,   i will be less critical

But i much prefer a Stegoceros or Prenocephle over another Pachycephalosaurus Synonym on the market

Personally I want a Heterodontosaurus.   

Fembrogon

More pachycephalosaurs outside of the "Pachy trio" would indeed be nice - as would a Heterodontosaurus!

Honestly more small herbivorous dinosaurs in general would be good. I'm sure they don't sell as well as, say, giant theropods; but a little more diversity can't hurt too much, right?

A Camptosaurus to display with Allosaurus and Ceratosaurus - or an Anchisaurus or Sarahsaurus to display with Dilophosaurus - would be most welcome.

suspsy

Sure would be nice if someone tackled the most completely known North American pachycephalosaur: Stegoceras.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on May 15, 2022, 02:52:55 AM
Sure would be nice if someone tackled the most completely known North American pachycephalosaur: Stegoceras.
I'll second that!

John

Quote from: SidB on May 15, 2022, 03:43:30 AM
Quote from: suspsy on May 15, 2022, 02:52:55 AM
I'll second that!
Yes,that would be nice to see.Stegoceras to me is just as much a classic as Pachycephalosaurus itself is.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Faelrin

I'll fourth or fifth it (after avatar_Takama @Takama suggested it). It's also the most complete pachycephalosaur outside of the juvenile Homalocephale, that I'm aware of so far. I also have JPOG nostalgia for the latter, and the former is another Dinosaur Park species I long for in my collection. And I'm pretty sure avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres still wants this one too?

But I may get this Stygimoloch if I like it enough (always been a fan of the name too), especially if it is as well researched as the Zuul was, assuming it's another Dino Dana figure anyways. Had a quick internet search of the Dino Dana design out of curiosity, and the color of it even appeals to me some. Reminds me of candy I guess?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Yes, although it would be nice to round out the Pachy trio with a Stiggy I would have much preferred a different pachycephalosaur. Homalocephale would be my pick but any of them would do.

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 14, 2022, 09:04:40 PMDon't like Banjo's osteoderms or paint apps, also don't want to pay that much for him. CollectA's Fukuiraptor is better but the claws are woefully short. Both have problems with the skull shape

I think their skull shape is within possibility for basal megaraptorans.  I wouldn't recommend CollectA's Fukuiraptor though as it places the largest claw on the middle finger instead of the first finger.  Instead I'd suggest Favorite's mini Fukuiraptor.  I have it and it's a wonderful little model with a head shape that might be more plausible than those other figures.  Fukuiraptor didn't have long claws by the way: https://www.deviantart.com/getawaytrike/art/Megaraptoran-series-703711797

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: