News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Wren

David mentioned in the Kickstarter comments recently that it's too early to know when the fan's choice tyrannosaurs will happen. He also said that he's going to steer away from pop-culture references this time, which seems to include things like Prehistoric Planet and WWD.
Check out my customs thread!

Darko2300

Quote from: Dusty Wren on May 12, 2022, 08:52:41 PM
David mentioned in the Kickstarter comments recently that it's too early to know when the fan's choice tyrannosaurs will happen. He also said that he's going to steer away from pop-culture references this time, which seems to include things like Prehistoric Planet and WWD.

Interesting. Thanks!

Eocarcharia

Hm, fair enough. I still look forward to seeing what alternate color schemes we end up with, eventually.

Flaffy

I personally don't understand the decision to steer away from pop-culture or popular media. Surely playing into nostalgia and whatever's popular at the time is going to translate to good sales?

GojiraGuy1954

Bruh
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Dusty Wren

I can think of a couple of reasons he might want to move away from pop culture color schemes. One, it's not very interesting from a creative standpoint to translate a color scheme from a dinosaur...into a color scheme for a dinosaur.  As an artist, he doesn't get to make as many creative decisions when he's pulling from another artist's work.

And two, he may be concerned about running into legal issues. You can't copyright colors, of course, but if, say, Apple claimed that he was producing unlicensed merchandise for their TV show, it could cause some headaches to sort that out. The chance of that happening is small, but he may not want to risk it.
Check out my customs thread!

Fembrogon

He's also ALREADY done some pop Culture variants, at least for T. rex itself, with the 1:35 WWD version and the 1:18 Dino Riders version. I can't blame him if he'd rather go a completely different direction next.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DragonRider02

Aw, I was hoping for a chance of getting Grimlock-colored T. Rex :(

Concavenator

Quote from: Dusty Wren on May 12, 2022, 08:52:41 PMHe also said that he's going to steer away from pop-culture references this time, which seems to include things like Prehistoric Planet and WWD.

Goodbye to the Prehistoric Planet Qianzhousaurus I guess. But I will still hold off ordering the Qianzhousaurus until I see what the Fans' Choice tyrannosaurs designs are. Maybe the Qianzhousaurus will be amongst them, and it will have another color scheme I prefer.

Bread

Besides the designs for Prehistoric Planet, I couldn't really think of any other form of media that has somewhat of an appealing design for a Tyrannosaurus. I rather David just make a design on his own rather than from some pop culture/media.

suspsy

Environment-themed colour schemes might be neat. Swamp, forest, grasslands, etc. A melanistic colour scheme would also be potentially swell so long as it wasn't straight black.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

T. rex isn't the only figure in the line. There are plenty of pop-culture tyrannosaurids that he could have pulled colour schemes from for the Fan's Choice figures this time around. I don't see how they're in any way distinct from the main line if it's just more of the same extant copy-paste skins

Concavenator

Quote from: Bread on May 13, 2022, 12:50:55 PMI couldn't really think of any other form of media that has somewhat of an appealing design for a Tyrannosaurus. I rather David just make a design on his own rather than from some pop culture/media.

Well, the 1:35 Kickstarter Exclusive Tyrannosaurus has the WWD colour scheme. Could that be considered pop-culture?

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on May 13, 2022, 04:27:06 PM
Quote from: Bread on May 13, 2022, 12:50:55 PMI couldn't really think of any other form of media that has somewhat of an appealing design for a Tyrannosaurus. I rather David just make a design on his own rather than from some pop culture/media.

Well, the 1:35 Kickstarter Exclusive Tyrannosaurus has the WWD colour scheme. Could that be considered pop-culture?
Yes, the WWD is the 1 out of the 2 pop-culture/media influenced color schemes of the line so far.

Faelrin

My hype is off the charts for this beast, especially after watching Prehistoric Planet (still need to watch ep 3 at the time of posting this though):

QuoteI just received a an early white box sample for the Beasts of the Mesozoic 1/18th scale grey T. rex and... it is big. Be prepared.

Edit: Can't believe how stoked I am for this and the classic SWS styled Hammond Collection Jurassic Park T. rex coming out later this year. Such a great year to be a dinosaur action figure collector like myself. Can't wait to see how these two will size up. Awesome to have both an accurate modern take, and the classic beloved JP one I grew up with.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Quote from: Faelrin on May 25, 2022, 07:04:34 PMCan't believe how stoked I am for this and the classic SWS styled Hammond Collection Jurassic Park T. rex coming out later this year. Such a great year to be a dinosaur action figure collector like myself. Can't wait to see how these two will size up. Awesome to have both an accurate modern take, and the classic beloved JP one I grew up with.

I wonder if that is perhaps why David has said he will be walking back from doing Pop Culture inspired paint decos for the fan choice color schemes this time around. Perhaps a part of him is certain a Rexy/Buck paint scheme would be in high demand and he just has no interest in doing something like that.

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking I see a lot of people requesting Prehistoric Planet's design, but honestly I think his is similar enough in color and pattern (mostly in regard to the head minus the eye color) to stand in as it. I wonder if he could also just be burnt out of pop culture references too. They also do limit one's creativity. I really liked how the fan's choice Medusaceratops came out and the raptor series ones before. I would like to see a return to form instead of just pop culture references (plus we got both the kickstarter exclusive WWD and Dino-Riders versions to entice people to support the campaign, the former of which won the poll he held based on feedback that was given).

Edit: I'm sure we'll get a repaint from Mattel of the HC as TLW's buck down the road. They do listen to feedback and there's been a lot of support for that and the Spinosaurus so far. I'd rather leave the JP stuff to them anyways since for the most part it's been handled well by them and David can surprise us with other fresh designs.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Carnoking on May 25, 2022, 07:12:19 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on May 25, 2022, 07:04:34 PMCan't believe how stoked I am for this and the classic SWS styled Hammond Collection Jurassic Park T. rex coming out later this year. Such a great year to be a dinosaur action figure collector like myself. Can't wait to see how these two will size up. Awesome to have both an accurate modern take, and the classic beloved JP one I grew up with.

I wonder if that is perhaps why David has said he will be walking back from doing Pop Culture inspired paint decos for the fan choice color schemes this time around. Perhaps a part of him is certain a Rexy/Buck paint scheme would be in high demand and he just has no interest in doing something like that.
He could just remove it from the options like he did for the Prehistoric Park Triceratops.

BlueKrono

I agree with avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, the color of BotM's rex is very similar to PP's. In fact, when I first saw it that's where I thought they'd lifted the color scheme from!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: