News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wild Past - Wave 2 - Kickstarter

Started by DinoToyCollector, March 22, 2023, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyCollector

Thanks avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian for posting these. First of all I have to admit I made a typo mistake: it's C. russelli

S @SidB The scale for this figure is 1:35 - the only exception so far in 1:20 is the Scutosaurus because the Permian animals would be too small in a uniform 1:35 scale. So... our Mesozoic figures will be all in 1:35 for the start.

avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus The final figure will be painted - the colour scheme is ready and I will do a render image soon

So... you were right about the Ornithischian avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator but you are off with the suggestion for the Theropod  O:-)

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 The paint shouldn't ruin the sculpt detail. There is a difference in the shown image and the more "over amplified" details of the master model to prevent the paint filling in the spaces between the scales.

Quote from: Concavenator on November 18, 2023, 12:13:49 AMavatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector I have some questions:

- It will come painted, right? In that case, when will we see the finished model?
- Is it at 1:35 scale?
- Any idea on pricing for the Chasmosaurus yet?

Looking forward to more reveals and info about the campaign!

Answers: Yes. Yes. Yes. ;D

Quote from: Dilophosaurus_8o on November 18, 2023, 04:22:48 AMI remember christmastime of 2021, I was 11 years old, when i was saving up money from doing chores around the house to afford the wild past majungasaurus. 3 years later and I still don't have it in my hands, I'm so happy to see the company doing so well though and once it releases I will most certainly purchase it.

That's the hardest thing I've heard so far avatar_Dilophosaurus_8o @Dilophosaurus_8o . That's why we changed the factory. The Majungasaurus is nearly finished and should arrive soon, but it took way to much time...

The skin impressions were part f the process. Of course! avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , the Chasmosaurus fossils delivers a lot of information and we tried to take them all into account. But it was not the reason we piccked this avatar_DefinitelyNOTDilo @DefinitelyNOTDilo . The reason is it was overlooked for so long tima although it is almost fully known.

thomasw100

Quote from: DinoToyCollector on November 18, 2023, 07:50:24 AMThanks avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian for posting these. First of all I have to admit I made a typo mistake: it's C. russelli

S @SidB The scale for this figure is 1:35 - the only exception so far in 1:20 is the Scutosaurus because the Permian animals would be too small in a uniform 1:35 scale. So... our Mesozoic figures will be all in 1:35 for the start.

avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus The final figure will be painted - the colour scheme is ready and I will do a render image soon

So... you were right about the Ornithischian avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator but you are off with the suggestion for the Theropod  O:-)

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 The paint shouldn't ruin the sculpt detail. There is a difference in the shown image and the more "over amplified" details of the master model to prevent the paint filling in the spaces between the scales.

Quote from: Concavenator on November 18, 2023, 12:13:49 AMavatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector I have some questions:

- It will come painted, right? In that case, when will we see the finished model?

Quote from: Dilophosaurus_8o on November 18, 2023, 04:22:48 AMI remember christmastime of 2021, I was 11 years old, when i was saving up money from doing chores around the house to afford the wild past majungasaurus. 3 years later and I still don't have it in my hands, I'm so happy to see the company doing so well though and once it releases I will most certainly purchase it.

That's the hardest thing I've heard so far avatar_Dilophosaurus_8o @Dilophosaurus_8o . That's why we changed the factory. The Majungasaurus is nearly finished and should arrive soon, but it took way to much time...

The skin impressions were part f the process. Of course! avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , the Chasmosaurus fossils delivers a lot of information and we tried to take them all into account. But it was not the reason we piccked this avatar_DefinitelyNOTDilo @DefinitelyNOTDilo . The reason is it was overlooked for so long tima although it is almost fully known.

Hi there, the reason I had asked about the possibility to get unpainted figures is that the pictures of the Chasmosaurus prototype have convinced me that this model (and hopefully the other ones as well) will have an excellent quality in terms of sculpting detail and fineness that reaches the quality of PNSO and Halolonggood and also of resin models. Now of course the question will be how will the paint application look like. And this has a component of quality but also of personal taste. So the quality may be excellent but then one may not like the style. This is the case for example with some of the Haolonggood ceratopsian models released this year. I like the models but I do not like the colors and the overall paint design. So in this case it would be great if one had the option to get an unpainted figure. And will these be PVC models?

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Oh I knew Spinosaurus is thought to have had webbed feet. I still mentioned it because, apart from it and therizinosaurs, I wasn't aware of any other theropod with four front-facing toes as seen in the teaser. Still, according to what avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector said, it won't be either Spinosaurus nor any therizinosaur. Also, if it won't be a Spinosaurus, then I think we can take other spinosaurids out of the equation. AFAIK, no other spinosaurine has preserved pes.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Well, the BotM Chasmosaurus appears to be discontinued now anyways...  :P

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector Relieved to learn the Chasmosaurus will be at 1:35! Well, this only makes the decision to replace the BotM one even clearer!  ;D

It's great the other dinosaurs will be at 1:35 scale too, although as usually happens with this scale, this makes me a little worried about smaller species like dromaeosaurids (unless some particularly big one like Austroraptor) being left behind.

Now I'm quite intrigued about what theropod will that be, if it's no therizinosaur or Spinosaurus. Looking forward to finding out more!

T @thomasw100 If they're going to be like their models up until now, they should be PVC models.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on November 18, 2023, 10:51:30 AMAlso, if it won't be a Spinosaurus, then I think we can take other spinosaurids out of the equation. AFAIK, no other spinosaurine has preserved pes.
The feet of other spinosaurids could have four weight-bearing toes, just not having been preserved.

Quiversaurus

QuoteT @thomasw100 If they're going to be like their models up until now, they should be PVC models.

Ooh that's good news actually. I prefer PVC over resin. Wonder what the other species are - one of them may be my very first purchase from here!

thomasw100

Quote from: Quiversaurus on November 18, 2023, 03:13:58 PM
QuoteT @thomasw100 If they're going to be like their models up until now, they should be PVC models.

Ooh that's good news actually. I prefer PVC over resin. Wonder what the other species are - one of them may be my very first purchase from here!

I have a somewhat mixed opinion on the question of resin versus PVC. The PVC models definitely have the advantage that they are not so fragile and have less of a risk of transport damage. Then however they may suffer from warping over time. Which is not so much an issue for quadrupedal species but of course for bipedal ones especially theropods. Furthermore, I sometimes have the impression that it is easier to model fine details in resin, so some PVC models are affected by some inaccuracies due to the molding process. It appears to me like sort of blurring of crisp fine detail in the original sculpt. You do not see this so much with the top manufacturers like PNSO and now also Haolonggood though. The 3D printed resin models are somewhere in between this spectrum. By and large, for the top of the line PVC models I would say that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and as I preferably collect herbivores the warping issue does not affect me too much.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy That is a bit weird, but no doubt a result of the part sharing. I'm almost certain the parts used for the Medusaceratops (and others like Styracosaurus, etc) however were sculpted based off of Chasmosaurus skin material, despite being a centrosaurine.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Kind of bummed I missed out on it, despite the incorrect integument it has. Hope it gets a reissue like the Diabloceratops and Styracosaurus did. Apparently the sub-adult Triceratops is now out of stock as well (got the heads up from D @Dino Scream3232 recent instagram post). A resculpt would be ideal (at least for the relevant parts). That said I'm very much looking forward to this one, a great addition to my Dinosaur Park assortment, and a long overdue one. Can't wait to see how it sizes up with the PNSO hadrosaurids, and the Safari Ltd Styracosaurus I have (not exactly scale I know, but still).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dilophosaurus_8o

Quote from: DinoToyCollector on November 18, 2023, 07:50:24 AMThanks avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian for posting these. First of all I have to admit I made a typo mistake: it's C. russelli

To tide me over in the meantime I purchased the Protoceratops and the Tethyshadros pair, and I love everything about them. My wish is that eventually there will be a 1/35 velociraptor to go with it, but that would be very hard to achieve. I love this company and look forward to seeing this kickstarter, as I will definitely be backing it :)
I've been sleeping in a cardboard box, spending every dollar at the liquor shop, but even though I know I haven't got a lot, I'll try to give you love until the day you drop

Sim

avatar_Dilophosaurus_8o @Dilophosaurus_8o: avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector has shown interest in making a 1:35 Velociraptor!  I too hope Velociraptor will be made in the Wild Past main line.

Dilophosaurus_8o

Quote from: Sim on November 18, 2023, 06:49:42 PMavatar_Dilophosaurus_8o @Dilophosaurus_8o: avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector has shown interest in making a 1:35 Velociraptor!  I too hope Velociraptor will be made in the Wild Past main line.

That would be amazing!
I've been sleeping in a cardboard box, spending every dollar at the liquor shop, but even though I know I haven't got a lot, I'll try to give you love until the day you drop

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Sim on November 18, 2023, 06:49:42 PMavatar_Dilophosaurus_8o @Dilophosaurus_8o: avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector has shown interest in making a 1:35 Velociraptor!  I too hope Velociraptor will be made in the Wild Past main line.

I would be so happy if I could get my hands on a well-made 1:35 Velociraptor!

Concavenator

Here's another look at the Chasmosaurus:

On another note, it was said on an Instagram comment that the theropod will be revealed by the end of next week.

If it's also a very overdue genus like the Chasmosaurus, I think something like a Gallimimus or a Ceratosaurus has decent chances.

Sim

The Chasmosaurus looks great!  I don't think the theropod will be a Gallimimus as ornithomimids only have three toes.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on November 19, 2023, 02:42:41 PMI don't think the theropod will be a Gallimimus as ornithomimids only have three toes.

I know, but based on avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector denying my prediction of it being a therizinosaur or a Spinosaurus, I'm assuming the foot in the teaser is not representative of the theropod that will be coming (??). Like I said, I'm not aware of any other theropod with 4 front-facing toes apart from the ones I mentioned. Is there?

If Spinosaurus had webbed feet (which seems likely), in principle other spinosaurines having webbed feet seems reasonable.

Sim

The only theropods I can think of that are left are other spinosaurids, with their feet not being preserved.  Baryonychines might have had four weight-bearing toes and no webbing, like in the Wild Past image.

DinoToyCollector

Quote from: Concavenator on November 18, 2023, 10:51:30 AMStill, according to what avatar_DinoToyCollectorDinoToyCollector said, it won't be either Spinosaurus nor any therizinosaur.

Maybe I have to take back what I said as I only read names like Spinosaurus, Ichthyovenator etc...  O:-)

Quote from: thomasw100 on November 18, 2023, 03:56:51 PMI have a somewhat mixed opinion on the question of resin versus PVC. The PVC models definitely have the advantage that they are not so fragile and have less of a risk of transport damage. Then however they may suffer from warping over time. Which is not so much an issue for quadrupedal species but of course for bipedal ones especially theropods. Furthermore, I sometimes have the impression that it is easier to model fine details in resin, so some PVC models are affected by some inaccuracies due to the molding process. It appears to me like sort of blurring of crisp fine detail in the original sculpt. You do not see this so much with the top manufacturers like PNSO and now also Haolonggood though. The 3D printed resin models are somewhere in between this spectrum. By and large, for the top of the line PVC models I would say that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and as I preferably collect herbivores the warping issue does not affect me too much.

T @thomasw100 Well, we have both available. But the main focus is on PVC figures because the resin models are expensive per piece and not so durable, what I personally dislike.

That's right. I have a plan, I even updated the model, but we have to make this campaign happen first :-D

Quote from: Concavenator on November 19, 2023, 03:02:34 PMI know, but based on avatar_DinoToyCollectoravatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector denying my prediction of it being a therizinosaur or a Spinosaurus, I'm assuming the foot in the teaser is not representative of the theropod that will be coming (??). Like I said, I'm not aware of any other theropod with 4 front-facing toes apart from the ones I mentioned. Is there?

Again I'm sorry for causing confusion. Your analysis is right avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator

Halichoeres

So a therizinosaur is coming? Excellent news! I'll be happy with pretty much any genus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector While re-reading through this old paper on the Chasmosaurus integument from specimen CMN 2245, Sternberg suggests "It is quite likely that with this varied scale pattern there was a varied color pattern." We actually do see something like this on the integument of Psittacosaurus specimen SMF R 4970, in that some of the feature scales are generally darker in coloration to the surrounding scales. I can't think of too many figures that take that approach with ceratopsians. In fact just from browsing the DTC site, it seems only the 2013 Kaiyodo Diabloceratops and Triceratops, 2017 Safari Ltd Psittacosaurus, 1/6 scale BotM Psittacosaurus, 2022 CollectA Deluxe Triceratops (both versions) and perhaps the Wild Past Protoceratops incorporate something like this on to the figures.

Will something like this be done for this new Chasmosaurus figure, assuming a coloration hasn't been finalized yet? What would folks here prefer?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres A therizinosaur would be ideal. On the other hand, if it's a spinosaurid I will probably skip it. The only genus I care for is Suchomimus, which is well represented already.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I didn't know about that! That's interesting. Well, in that case, I'd like to see the figure take that into consideration, if possible, of course. It could have darker feature scales based on Psittacosaurus, even though the same may or may not be true for Chasmosaurus. But at least there's evidence for something along those lines, so I'd say it's a good idea.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on November 22, 2023, 03:47:59 AMavatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector While re-reading through this old paper on the Chasmosaurus integument from specimen CMN 2245, Sternberg suggests "It is quite likely that with this varied scale pattern there was a varied color pattern." We actually do see something like this on the integument of Psittacosaurus specimen SMF R 4970, in that some of the feature scales are generally darker in coloration to the surrounding scales.

Will something like this be done for this new Chasmosaurus figure, assuming a coloration hasn't been finalized yet? What would folks here prefer?

I never knew this either. It would present a great opportunity for patterning. I'm all for this suggestion!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: