News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 03, 2023, 02:15:56 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 03, 2023, 02:11:57 PM
Quote from: vampiredesign on December 03, 2023, 01:21:52 PMhttps://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=282182604776381&set=pcb.282185001442808
Work overtime and come up with a few color schemes for everyone to discuss.
I will rest on my colleague's account and he will give me feedback later.

Easily A (blue) and B (purple)!

We already have the brown and grey Apatosaurus variants.

We already have a red and green Ampelosaurus variants.

A blue and purple Alamosaurus would be delightful.

But is B really purple? To me this looks more like some brown and tan tones, OK maybe with a touch of purple in the darker hues.
It's for sure purple.

Here are the images so that way anyone does not have to keep accessing twitter or facebook:

thomasw100

Maybe Haolonggood should follow the highly successful strategy that they used for the Apatosaurus release. They offered one more basic and more conservative paint scheme (the gray one), because some collectors prefer this for sauropods. Then they offered a second more flashy scheme (the brown one) which was more appealing for those people who prefer less conservative colors schemes. This strategy worked really well, because each group found one option they liked and this boosted the sales figures. I think that in the end many people purchased both models.

ceratopsian

I think A is marvellous - I love the net pattern combined with the more stripe like pattern.  The colours are quite like my Ademar's Patagotitan but it's different enough. 

I like B very much indeed.

I like C next.

I don't like D much.

I hope the two versions available will be two completely different patterns employing different colours (as with the Apatosaurus), and not the same pattern created in two different colour ways.

T @thomasw100 makes a good point above about producing a conservative and a flashy scheme.  And yes, I bought both the sober and the more jazzy Apatosaurus versions.

Concavenator

Duna

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 03, 2023, 01:58:02 PMWould very vivid skin colors of sauropods not attract predators? Of course this depends on the habitat but still I would feel that too vivid colors would seem not too plausible for sauropods. In particular juvenile individuals which had a very different lifestyle (hiding in forests and grass lands until they would have grown to size) than subadults and adults would need to have a skin color that would provide protection from being noticed by predators. But would sauropods have changed their skin colors when growing up?
If you take for example Komodo dragons, you'll see that the juveniles are very colourful with high contrast (to hide in tree tops and bushes) and then they change to the adult dull colors.

postsaurischian

:D The BLUE one is exciting! The purple one is also wonderful, but BLUE would be my first choice.

Carnoking

Not sure I could pick just one... but given the size of this thing I better figure it out!

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 03, 2023, 02:31:48 PMI think A is marvellous - I love the net pattern combined with the more stripe like pattern.  The colours are quite like my Ademar's Patagotitan but it's different enough. 

I like B very much indeed.

I like C next.

I don't like D much.

I hope the two versions available will be two completely different patterns employing different colours (as with the Apatosaurus), and not the same pattern created in two different colour ways.

T @thomasw100 makes a good point above about producing a conservative and a flashy scheme.  And yes, I bought both the sober and the more jazzy Apatosaurus versions.

Hopefully Haolonggood will also hear the voice of those who prefer more conservative color schemes. Otherwise this will be a very expensive model for me. Because if this will be only the A option I will have to pay for a full repaint commission plus the shipment back and forth. Obviously there is no way to have general agreement on such a color scheme, simply because the taste of people is so different. But then again we hear so many complaints about the color scheme of PNSO as just brown with stripes (which definitely would fit in the category conservative), but yet they continue with this style. So it seems that quite many people seem to like this, otherwise this would negatively affect their sales figures.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Flaffy

A and B for me. I've always imagined Alamosaurus having cooler colours for some reason, and these two colour schemes looks the best to me!

It's really impressive what HLG managed to pull of in this short year alone. I will definitely try to make funds and space for the Alamosaurus to support their future sauropod endeavors.

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 03, 2023, 01:58:02 PMWould very vivid skin colors of sauropods not attract predators? Of course this depends on the habitat but still I would feel that too vivid colors would seem not too plausible for sauropods. In particular juvenile individuals which had a very different lifestyle (hiding in forests and grass lands until they would have grown to size) than subadults and adults would need to have a skin color that would provide protection from being noticed by predators. But would sauropods have changed their skin colors when growing up?

An adult sauropod the size of Alamosaurus would hardly have any reason to be camouflaged. Given it's sheer size it would be largely invulnerable to direct predation. I find vivid colour schemes on large sauropods more interesting and plausible than conservative ones. It's highly likely that (colour) ontogeny applies to sauropods as well, with young specimens having more subdued colours for camoflague and safety. Most higher vertebrates display differing colours and patterns between juvenile and adult individuals afterall.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 03, 2023, 09:42:10 AMIt does indeed look like you are in luck avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum!

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on December 03, 2023, 05:23:09 AM
Quote from: vampiredesign on December 03, 2023, 05:15:58 AMThank you for your attention. Don't worry, there are still several dishes left. Give me a hint that a duck looks a bit like a friend's avatar above^-^ I will take good photos to update your profile picture plan^-^

Whoooooooaaaaaaaa  :o  :o  :o
[after hype edit: so at least, it is a Parasaurolophini :) ]
[Second edit: it really is Tlatolophus aaaaaaaaaa]
Certainly I am! Now I can hope a future HLG Magnapaulia to stand alongside  a HLG Shantungosaurus as big pals  :)
I'm really looking forward to this release! Even though, as avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator , I also pre-ordered the Ancestors one... Those 3 will make eventually a really pleasant sight   ;D
Also, the Alamosaurus' colourations are so dynamic I'd say A and B look the most  peaceful/rude looking combo with those blue and purple colours.  :)

Quiversaurus

I would say A and C are the standouts for me - I agree with the sentiment that having one colourful variant and one plainer looking one would help boost sales by adding variety - though one would really need to have space and money to herd-build Alamosauruses... Option C kinda reminds me of Ademar Pereira Nascimento's Patagotitan!

It would be nice too to have a variant that kinda "matches" PNSO's!

MLMjp

I really like B's purple, and A's pattern is incredible, but I wish is was other color instead of blue, still a gorgeous looking color scheme

Pliosaurking

With blue being my favourite colour, A is the definitive winner for me. B is also pretty nice looking, the other 2 are fine but don't catch my eyes like B or especially A.
Definitely gonna grab A, well done Haolonggood!

Faelrin

Man I really can't choose among those colors for the Alamosaurus. All be looking good to me. I do think either A or B with C or D would pair wonderfully (kind of like the Apatosaurus or Dilophosaurus pair).

Also I did see avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum initial reaction last night, but wait it is actually confirmed a Tlatolophus is coming after all? That is indeed amazing news.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I was wondering if Tlatolophus is confirmed, until I saw images of the animal like its skull were uploaded to Haolonggood's Facebook page.  I have no doubt Tlatolophus is coming!  Although I'm still waiting for Chasmosaurus belli from Haolonggood...

I doubt Haolonggood will make Shantungosaurus since Edmontosaurus is basically identical to it.  I also hope Haolonggood will avoid Magnapaulia, since it's appearance is unknown.  I'd prefer they made Corythosaurus, Hypacrosaurus or Saurolophus!

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Faelrin on December 03, 2023, 05:16:36 PMMan I really can't choose among those colors for the Alamosaurus. All be looking good to me. I do think either A or B with C or D would pair wonderfully (kind of like the Apatosaurus or Dilophosaurus pair).

Also I did see avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum initial reaction last night, but wait it is actually confirmed a Tlatolophus is coming after all? That is indeed amazing news.
Right? they all have their own charm! But is nice to see that kind of social approach from Haolonggood into the color scheme.
And sorry for my reaction, I could not help myself with the surprise. Indeed, Twitter/X and facebook accounts for HLG has posted there and in Paleofiguras' group what I think are paper images for Tlatolophus discovery. So well, I think that is confirmed enough haha

Cretaceous Crab

First choice: A
Second choice: C
Third choice: D
Fourth choice: B

thomasw100

Question: Is anyone aware of a living animal that has both a striping and a web shaped skin or coat pattern at the same time? Giraffes have web patterns, many other herbivore mammals have horizontal or vertical striping patterns, but both on the same animal? No example comes to mind at first thought.

postosuchus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: