News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on February 18, 2024, 01:49:44 PM
Quote from: Joel1905 on February 18, 2024, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 17, 2024, 02:35:57 PMI don't think PNSO need to re-release anything at all. We're talking about models from just a few years ago here. So many more prehistoric animals out there that need attention. 

I think the 'bigger' names definitely need updates. Whether its lips on Theropods, chunkier Hadrosaurs, or just improvements on textures.

At the end of the day, PNSO are a business, and updating popular dinosaurs is more important to them than a handful of collectors wanting obscure species.

I don't honestly know what would generate them more money, repeating the same old stuff they've done or making completely new genera. I'm not about to buy a new Corythosaurus, Sinoceratops, or Tarbosaurus from PNSO when I only just acquired them over the last few years. I can live with their imperfections. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have bought them. Plus, there are PLENTY of species left that I would hardly call obscure.

I agree, and the absolute LAST thing we need is another Tyrannosaurus. If there isn't a T. rex out there to one's liking, they should probably find a new hobby as they'll never be satisfied... 8)  :P  C:-)

Faelrin

The only two I think really need updates are the Carnotaurus because of the 2021 paper, and maybe the Amargasaurus (per the recent full sail paper and corrected digits). The Carnotaurus especially as when it was released it suffered from the same oversized texturing a lot of models back then had, which meant the skin texture for the time wasn't quite right (such as when compared with Safari's 2019 figure).

The only figure on the market to take into account the 2021 skin so far is the upcoming Cyberzoic and BotM versions.

Edit: Last year we got updated Giganotosaurus, Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Yangchuanosaurus, and more or less an Allosaurus. All of those I think needed updates based on the recent science (maybe except Allosaurus, but this one is far surperior to the previous one, even if labled Saurophaganax instead). I'm sure Tyrannosaurus will get an additional lipped remake considering it is the most popular dinosaur. No need to wonder or worry about that one. Just have patience.

The other thing I forgot to mention is if they do a new Carnotaurus, I hope they branch out into other abelisaurids (which they currently lack).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thomasw100

Quote from: Faelrin on February 18, 2024, 03:24:43 PMThe only two I think really need updates are the Carnotaurus because of the 2021 paper, and maybe the Amargasaurus (per the recent full sail paper and corrected digits). The Carnotaurus especially as when it was released it suffered from the same oversized texturing a lot of models back then had, which meant the skin texture for the time wasn't quite right (such as when compared with Safari's 2019 figure).

The only figure on the market to take into account the 2021 skin so far is the upcoming Cyberzoic and BotM versions.

I would think that also some of the very old PNSO models like the Shantungosaurus, Chungkingosaurus, Euhelopus, Huayangosaurus, Lufengosaurus and Mandschurosaurus could afford an update.

Faelrin

T @thomasw100 Oh good point about those. They certainly could be brought up to their modern quality of detail. Most of those are also no longer available either.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I wish they still made those big vinyl models. They weren't very expensive either.

bmathison1972

Updates make sense when new data show appreciable morphologic differences from earlier renditions (e.g., the Spinosaurus tail, sauropod 'feet', etc.).

postsaurischian

Still off topic. Why is it so hard to discuss the wishes at the Hopes & Wishes thread?

Joel1905

Quote from: Gwangi on February 18, 2024, 01:49:44 PM
Quote from: Joel1905 on February 18, 2024, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 17, 2024, 02:35:57 PMI don't think PNSO need to re-release anything at all. We're talking about models from just a few years ago here. So many more prehistoric animals out there that need attention. 

I think the 'bigger' names definitely need updates. Whether its lips on Theropods, chunkier Hadrosaurs, or just improvements on textures.

At the end of the day, PNSO are a business, and updating popular dinosaurs is more important to them than a handful of collectors wanting obscure species.

I don't honestly know what would generate them more money, repeating the same old stuff they've done or making completely new genera. I'm not about to buy a new Corythosaurus, Sinoceratops, or Tarbosaurus from PNSO when I only just acquired them over the last few years. I can live with their imperfections. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have bought them. Plus, there are PLENTY of species left that I would hardly call obscure.

You don't think a lipped Tyrannosaurus, or a lipped Carnotaurus with their new, crisp texturing along with anatomical updates wouldn't sell better than other species?

Eatmycar

Yeah, sorry, I think a lipped T. rex would sell damn well.

Look at how many people here rushed to buy Cameron when he came out so soon after Wilson. T. rex sells, and as much as we all have our favorite weird taxa, many of them aren't guaranteed sellers.

Of course it doesn't help that PNSO stuffs their figures with bloated booklets and pamphlets and nonsense to inflate prices (see the Museum line)!

thomasw100

Possible new PNSO release, Jinbeisaurus wangi, a teaser image posted on Paleofiguras. The parade of the theropods seems to continue.

ceratopsian

Not only theropods. It also names Yanbeilong, Jinyunpelta, Zuoyunlong and Yunganglong. Apparently a line of 8 models in association with the Shanxi Geological Museum. All from the Shaximiao Formation. The information was gleaned from Weibo. I guess we'll hear more in due course...

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 19, 2024, 08:29:15 AMNot only theropods. It also names Yanbeilong, Jinyunpelta, Zuoyunlong and Yunganglong. Apparently a line of 8 models in association with the Shanxi Geological Museum. All from the Shaximiao Formation. The information was gleaned from Weibo. I guess we'll hear more in due course...

I had overlooked this information in the comments section, so thanks for clarifying. I notice that there is a actually a picture that shows more of these species. What is quite interesting is that these are all rather small species, around 5 m or even less. So either PNSO will really make them that small or they will make them not in 1:35 scale. The picture would suggest the latter. I do appreciate that they want to do more species discovered from China.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 19, 2024, 08:29:15 AMNot only theropods. It also names Yanbeilong, Jinyunpelta, Zuoyunlong and Yunganglong. Apparently a line of 8 models in association with the Shanxi Geological Museum. All from the Shaximiao Formation. The information was gleaned from Weibo. I guess we'll hear more in due course...

A Yanbeilong so soon after it was announced! Very exciting news. Hadrosaurs, a stegosaur, an ankylosaur and a theropod. Good times ahead. Let's see what HLG brings to the table this year (apart from all the delicious sauropods)!

Concavenator

I hope those rumours are not true. All of them are fragmentary except Jinyunpelta. And Vitae's Jinyunpelta is great already (even if it might be fragile; I had it and it was fine).

If these are true, seems like I can forget about PNSO for a while.  :P

thomasw100

Quote from: Concavenator on February 19, 2024, 11:35:19 AMI hope those rumours are not true. All of them are fragmentary except Jinyunpelta. And Vitae's Jinyunpelta is great already (even if it might be fragile; I had it and it was fine).

My impression was that this is a special line they develop together with the Shanxi Geological Museum that was mentioned. This will probably largely target customers in China. I would not think that this would replace the regular PNSO releases that target both the Chinese and international market. PNSO after all is a business and they know that they need to release (some) models that generate outstanding sales figures. This is why they released the Spinosaurus and Edmontosaurus.

SidB

If they are substantially off the 1/35 mark, that will rule them out for me. The upside is a relief for my finances and the opportunity to catch up on a few older ones that I haven't picked up yet. Also, HLG's offerings will  get a revisit and step to the fore.

ceratopsian

But if the Shanxi Geological Museum has fossils of these dinosaurs, that is what they would want to commission.

Quote from: Concavenator on February 19, 2024, 11:35:19 AMI hope those rumours are not true. All of them are fragmentary except Jinyunpelta. And Vitae's Jinyunpelta is great already (even if it might be fragile; I had it and it was fine).

TlatolophusJuanorum

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian  I wouldn't suggest a new figure line for this commission but a way to celebrate the Chinese New Year of the dragon with those obscure Chinese dragons. (I am the author of those comments on the Paleofiguras' post)
It will certainly be a year full of surprises from PNSO too, lets hope they could translate those videos. They appear to be quite interesting. Also, I second avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator onto the fragmentary issue. But it wouldn't mind to see their Jinyupelta. Let's see which other dinosaurs come hereafter, I suppose we will see some Titanosaur/sauropod (as I could infer from the promo image) and another Hadrosaur.  ;D

ceratopsian

Sim

I'm not interested in those obscure fragmentary species, but I am interested in a Jinyunpelta from PNSO!  I tried the Vitae version and the one I received arrived broken and with a not great paintjob.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: