You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Entering the field, we are REBOR! 1:35 scale Yutyrannus Huali museum class model

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, August 28, 2014, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 29, 2014, 01:23:50 PM
Quote from: Roger on August 29, 2014, 01:06:59 PM
Are you Roger of STS?

Yes TQ! :) I am a visitor of this forum for 4 years but it seems I never presented myself here. Nice to know where to find you and I am sorry for being off topic but I always use to reply. ;)

Balaur

Wow. Some of these comments are pretty harsh. I do agree that the feathering is way, way too light. I don't even think it is Yutyrannus. That is disappointing. However, I do wish to see what else Rebor has in store, and I do wish you guys luck in the future. ;)

Concavenator

Quote from: Balaur on August 30, 2014, 12:09:07 AM
Wow. Some of these comments are pretty harsh. I do agree that the feathering is way, way too light. I don't even think it is Yutyrannus. That is disappointing. However, I do wish to see what else Rebor has in store, and I do wish you guys luck in the future. ;)
Agreed.IMO,and it's just my opinion that I'd prefer if Forest Rogers,Doug Watsonand Dan LoRusso sculpted a Yutyrannus.I think it'd be much more attractive and beautiful than that piece.I do appreciate the work that has been put with the details though,andI wish them luck  :)
Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 29, 2014, 11:42:19 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 29, 2014, 10:28:17 PM
I'm serious about stamping out such uncalled for posts. C:-)

2 banned people in a single thread!!!

This comes to my mind:

Just joking.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

We all should be kind with everyother.

We all should be SO HAPPY because another dinosaur toy company is getting in the scene. And they look better than CollectA. It is a VERY GOOD start.

They don't look better than CollectA.CollectA isn't a company with fear to innovate.At some point,I think they're going to be the best brand,IMO.

stoneage

Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 29, 2014, 11:42:19 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 29, 2014, 10:28:17 PM
I'm serious about stamping out such uncalled for posts. C:-)

2 banned people in a single thread!!!

This comes to my mind:

Just joking.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

We all should be kind with everyother.

We all should be SO HAPPY because another dinosaur toy company is getting in the scene. And they look better than CollectA. It is a VERY GOOD start.

Mad with Power!

Just kidding. 

stoneage

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 29, 2014, 11:45:41 PM
I hope it's okay for me to share my thoughts on this matter: while it's a good idea to offer con crit, there are times when the artist does not want to or can't take it on board. Then I just shrug my shoulders and move on. My main point is that not every model is made to please me, nor should try to. Just because I don't like something, doesn't mean someone else won't.

I am pretty opinionated about what I like and I don't like, but focusing on the bad all the time just gets depressing and leads to arguments. That's why I'm trying to change my behaviour and be less critical. There are lots of other models out there that I do like, so I focus on those instead.

I appreciate your efforts to improve your behavior.  I'm also trying to avoid senseless arguing.

Gwangi

amanda

Well ok. I pm'ed the original poster about my thoughts on all this, since it brings up "the feather thing" again and I know well where that leads. But I just wanted to post here just a tad also. The very second I saw the images, I saw the feathers. Although dark colored they are quite easy to see. They are on the back, neck, a bit on upper shoulders and all down the tail, fluffing a bit at the tip. All I am saying is, artistically, I noticed right away and thought is was cool that something in this niche of the market even attempted feathers. Even attempted a far less represented species for their first effort. Remember the general public have likely heard nothing about it. They could easily gone with an Allosaurus, or Tyrannosaurus Rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurues, etc. add nauseum. So bonus points for the effort and boldness to at least break from the pack.

I also find the attitude that any company, especially a toy one, somehow ought to consult this forum on designs before attempting anything to be fairly arrogant and plenty silly. Just my personal feelings. I will now slink off to my little corner again.

Paleogene Pals

I feel bad for REBOR Studios. Don't forget this is a first effort. My first attempt at paleo sculpture wasn't what I wanted. My second attempt showed improvement.

I think the figure looks very detailed and visually interesting, and maybe it does a need a few more feathers. It is what it is. Let's just relax and see what else they give us down the pike or what direction they take.

There is enough strife in the world as it is. DTF should be all about peace and dino love.  ;D

Takama

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on August 30, 2014, 03:40:51 AM
I feel bad for REBOR Studios. Don't forget this is a first effort. My first attempt at paleo sculpture wasn't what I wanted. My second attempt showed improvement.

I think the figure looks very detailed and visually interesting, and maybe it does a need a few more feathers. It is what it is. Let's just relax and see what else they give us down the pike or what direction they take.

There is enough strife in the world as it is. DTF should be all about peace and dino love.  ;D

Agreed

postsaurischian

Quote from: amanda on August 30, 2014, 02:04:08 AM

I also find the attitude that any company, especially a toy one, somehow ought to consult this forum on designs before attempting anything to be fairly arrogant and plenty silly.

That's right!
Consulting people that call Dromaeosaurids "raptors" (which a vast majority here does) wouldn't get you anywhere ;).

stargatedalek

Thats pretty widely used everywhere,  I don't think you can really judge the average knowledge of the community by that
there's more than a few users here with a fair amount of amateur knowledge of paleontology

loru1588

Raptors, Trics, Dilos...... all Jurassic Park speak! Never went for it. Raptors are modern birds of prey, maniraptora are dinosaurs. And spitters!!!! Oh do I hate that!!!

stargatedalek

when not in a professional context theres shorthand for everything, so I don't see it as a problem in context of a forum like this (outside of the more serious discussions) to use shorthand for the more well known species/groups

DinoToyForum

Patrx

But modern birds of prey are maniraptorans! :)

I've been known to refer to dromaeosaurs as "raptors" for the sake of clarity when talking with folks to whom the word "dromaeosaur" would mean nothing. I suppose I don't see a problem there.

SBell

My personal opinion is that the figure appears well done. It is Papo-like, and I don't personally care for Papo overall, but this one is less monster-ish.

I really like the base. Figures look better with a bit of environment (see--CollectA's newest theropods) and since these are meant for children, the removable aspect is a fantastic concept. The box is a nice way to sell them as well, especially given the removable portion.

That said, the MSRP is too high. I wouldn't pay that much for a toy. Or a model.

A.Garcia

I tend to agree with the more generous comments here. I can't help but wonder: if the model (minus 2 fingers) was presented as a new Papo Albertosaurus, what would the reception be like? So perhaps the context is having some influence. Of course I'd like a fuller covering for this species, but surely the scaly sculpting will work aesthetically for other dinosaurs from this brand (which I look forward to seeing). I, too, am afraid the cost will put it beyond my consideration, though the presentation with a stand adds to the "gift" market appeal.

Has anyone noticed the snout coloration seems inspired by this reconstruction by Andrey Atuchin?

Gwangi

Quote from: A.Garcia on August 30, 2014, 09:13:16 PM
I tend to agree with the more generous comments here. I can't help but wonder: if the model (minus 2 fingers) was presented as a new Papo Albertosaurus, what would the reception be like? So perhaps the context is having some influence. Of course I'd like a fuller covering for this species, but surely the scaly sculpting will work aesthetically for other dinosaurs from this brand (which I look forward to seeing). I, too, am afraid the cost will put it beyond my consideration, though the presentation with a stand adds to the "gift" market appeal.

Has anyone noticed the snout coloration seems inspired by this reconstruction by Andrey Atuchin?

Far more positive, at least from me. It really comes down to a lack of feathers on a known feathered dinosaur and not much else. I wouldn't buy a featherless (near featherless) Microraptor or Caudipteryx either. We have the fossil evidence, there is no reason to blatantly ignore it especially when the whole reason Yutyrannus was hyped up was do to the extensive feathering. Without that, it's just another theropod.

DinoLord

I agree with Gwangi. It's a great sculpt, but just too inaccurate given the fossil specimens available.

Rathalosaurus

Sorry Rebor, but for me, this just looks like a freakin' Papo Allosaurus Bootleg. And the ''open-close-mouth'' is really papo-ish. >:(
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: