You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom by Mattel - new for 2019

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, August 04, 2018, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Im not a completist either....BUT IT IS JOHN HAMMOND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Everyone wants him.

PumperKrickel

deleted

ItsTwentyBelow

Disappointing news to read that a John Hammond action figure might be a convention exclusive. That's a mistake on Mattel's part, and I can only hope that Mattel quickly backtracks on this, or that they also announce a slightly different version of him at SDCC coming to retail as a follow-up.

The comment on Star Wars figures rings true. What if a character like Obi-Wan were ONLY available at freaking Comic Con? It would never have been done, and should not happen here!

I'm not a completist at all, but c'mon Hammond has never even been released before.

suspsy

Quote from: PumperKrickel on June 17, 2019, 03:16:19 PM
Quote from: suspsy on June 17, 2019, 01:00:59 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of LEGO and Transformers and Star Wars fans who agree with your sentiment.

Yeah, this isn´t comparable in the slightest. John Hammond is an essential core character. There has never before been an action figure of this character. This is like if Yoda was an SDCC exclusive. Not a repaint or something. The only Yoda figure in existence.

Actually, it's quite comparable. Over the years, LEGO has released a great many famous Marvel and DC characters strictly as SDCC exclusives, including Bizarro, Spider-Woman, and Phoenix Jean Grey. And for their Power of the Primes line, Hasbro released three of the remaining Prime Masters in their SDCC Throne of the Primes set last year. This was despite the fact that all their advertising had been encouraging kids to collect all thirteen of the characters.

Also, the reasoning for this decision could be as simple as Mattel being worried that a toy of an elderly man dressed all in white would only end up being a peg warmer. Which is possible.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Figured I'd share some of the pics here. The rest are here: https://jurassicoutpost.com/mattel-reveals-jurassic-park-john-hammond-toy-exclusive-to-san-diego-comic-con-2019/

As you all know I'm deeply upset and angry about this too. They took a highly beloved character, and an extremely crucial one at that, that has been highly requested (perhaps more so after the reveal of the Brachiosaurus) and decided to give it the most limited release possible by having it as a SDCC exclusive that you have to be there in person for (edit: aside from the fact Kenner never made this character, which people have been waiting on for over two decades for, like with the proper in scale/large Brachiosaurus). This really spits in the faces of all those who helped this line succeed in the first place (except a minor few that have the money to go to SDCC and maybe location access). And what stings more is how good this set looks from the included accessories (although the baby raptor head sculpt is off, and the color is inaccurate too, even though it seems to match the story pack raptor with Muldoon). They honestly should have had this set up for order online too, so those that can't attend can still have the opportunity to get one.

While I'm hopeful this sees a wider release in standard packaging (and it might not have the incubator accessory), I'm also too pessimistic at this point to wait on them doing so. I guess I'll have to shell out (assuming I even can since this year has so much coming out I doubt I'm going to be able too, with what I'm still behind on) if I want one of these on ebay like everyone else likely will that wants one. Wouldn't be the first time unfortunately, considering there's the Legacy Spinosaurus I paid like $100 for (including shipping), the Battle Damage Lockwood set + Maisie and the attack pack Dilophosaurus for like $100 (including shipping), though at least the prices where more fair on that stuff (just the retail prices from EUR to USD, and shipping from Germany to the US which wasn't cheap). There's still the legacy story pack raptors that I have yet to order off GMarket (and will need to shell out more for doubles/full case just to ensure getting one of each, but at least the doubles can be sold), and of course the Battle Damage Plesiosaurus that likely won't be released in the US, since Walmart likely was backed up on too many figures (which has happened more then once with this line, where product exceeds demand such as the Legacy humans, and the posable Indoraptor, etc), and it seems Canada has skipped on the case with it entirely, moving on to the case with the new Proceratosaurus, etc, so I expect the same to follow suit in the US at some point. And then there's the potential the Brachiosaurus distribution could be screwed up some way too.

I think I'm done come next year (unless it's a film canon species likely).

Edit: And about the Plesiosaurus, I forgot to ask D @Dino Scream3232 , but how much did it cost for one (including shipping)?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Primeval12

This is a completel punch to the face. Hopefully with enough complaining, we can get this figure a wider release. 

MLMjp

I don't even want to see those pictures, they remind me of this fiasco.

Important comment from a reddit user:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DinoToys/comments/c1m85f/can_this_be_real_legacy_collection_john_hammond/erea0de?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
Used 1: I emailled mattel customer service and asked whether there are any future plans for the Hammond figure.
I got this in response.
"We currently do not have a confirmed release date for this item in the UK, but we are hoping to release later this year as part of our Autumn/Winter range."
User 2:
"But we are hoping to release later this year as part of our Autumn/Winter range".
This is actually encouraging.
I don't see them using 100% new tooling limited to a sdcc only release. It might come without the raptor babies though, or get released with a playset/vehicle.
Slightly slightly chance of seen this later down the rode, but I won't be too optimistic.
Unless there an announcement of a wider release later on I´m gonna pretend this figure does not exist. I´m not going to spent who knows how many in getting this from eBay scalpers.

Takama

Good thing i swore off Store Exclusives ever since Target pulled off there ** with the Spinosaurus.

Or in this case. A Convention Exclusive

Flaffy

I'd rather they never made this bloody figure in the first place. Why bother when 90% of your customers can't get it.

Some speculate that the reason why they're doing this is because the Legacy humans aren't selling too well and are becoming shelf warmers... Well maybe, just maybe, if Mattel improved distribution, and sent figures to places where theres demand for it, the shelf warming issue wouldn't be as bad?

So rather than improving international distribution, they decide to prevent the very people who supported their line from the start from getting one of the most requested and sought after characters of the line. Congratulations Mattel you've reached a new low. I highly suspect the Brachiosaurus will run into issues later down the line as well.

tanystropheus

Quote from: primeval12 on June 17, 2019, 04:04:07 PM
This is a completel punch to the face. Hopefully with enough complaining, we can get this figure a wider release.

hmmm....can we complain beforehand so that everyone can get a fair chance at owning the Brachiosaurus!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on June 17, 2019, 05:05:25 PM
Good thing i swore off Store Exclusives ever since Target pulled off there ** with the Spinosaurus.

Or in this case. A Convention Exclusive

Target is the worst. They are also horrible with NECA distributions.

Faelrin

Quote from: Flaffy on June 17, 2019, 05:12:47 PM
I'd rather they never made this bloody figure in the first place. Why bother when 90% of your customers can't get it.

Some speculate that the reason why they're doing this is because the Legacy humans aren't selling too well and are becoming shelf warmers... Well maybe, just maybe, if Mattel improved distribution, and sent figures to places where theres demand for it, the shelf warming issue wouldn't be as bad?

So rather than improving international distribution, they decide to prevent the very people who supported their line from the start from getting one of the most requested and sought after characters of the line. Congratulations Mattel you've reached a new low. I highly suspect the Brachiosaurus will run into issues later down the line as well.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. If these exclusives were more widespread (edit: worldwide and not just a few select countries and retailers in the world) to begin with, then maybe stores wouldn't have been overstocked with them here, where they ended up going on clearance (and in the case of the Legacy humans, not once, but twice). This is likely also why the Legacy Dilophosaurus and JPIII quilled/male raptor never showed up. Just too much stock of the other figures, that they just didn't get around to it (and likely why they/Target choose not to carry the story packs). Seems to be pretty much the case right now with the Battle Damage figures as well, as they are going on clearance in some places. I am really not looking forward to more years of this, or even the rest of this year, considering how poor it has been so far with the reduced shelf space too, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Toasaurus

We really need to voice our complaints to mattel they need to give us answers why do they hate us so bad

Flaffy

Toasaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on June 17, 2019, 07:32:35 PM
Everyone send this to Mattel.

can this apply to all the current jurassic world figures too?

Ceratopsianking

Why! They better rerelease the John Hammond figure, I love Mattels Jurassic line but the production of them is the worst.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Is it possible that the Jurassic Park packaging will be the exclusive and the Legacy packaging is for the general release? I'm definitely interested in picking up one of these. It would be nice to see Mattel put more effort into figures from the original movie. The toys are there they're just not reliably available. Maybe they could do a boxed set with all the characters or something.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 17, 2019, 11:04:27 PM
Is it possible that the Jurassic Park packaging will be the exclusive and the Legacy packaging is for the general release? I'm definitely interested in picking up one of these. It would be nice to see Mattel put more effort into figures from the original movie. The toys are there they're just not reliably available. Maybe they could do a boxed set with all the characters or something.

Or maybe they will release a 6 inch John Hammond along with their Legendary Ian Malcolm and Sir Andrew Maxwell Dwyer figures.

http://thefwoosh.com/2018/08/sdcc-2018-reactions-mattel-jurassic-world-1-12-stuff-bigger-scale-bigger-potential/

PumperKrickel

deleted

Flaffy

Turn off the audio, and enjoy the amazing Mattel Brachiosaurus:
https://youtu.be/iS6kUtH87UU

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: