News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2021 Hopes and Dreams!

Started by suspsy, October 29, 2019, 09:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I wish they did the Wulong bohaiensis microraptin. His skeleton is quite complete and would be a first since perhaps he would become the first prehistoric animal of his kind in a toy and resin figure. It has just been discovered very recently and the remains are quite complete.

On the other hand I would like an Allosaurus jimmadseni to accompany Doug Watson's allosaurus is a species of new allosaurus and its remains are acceptably preserved.

Sim

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, the Favorite soft model series 2 Allosaurus and the CollectA 2020 Allosaurus are both Allosaurus jimmadseni.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on January 29, 2020, 10:56:17 PM
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, the Favorite soft model series 2 Allosaurus and the CollectA 2020 Allosaurus are both Allosaurus jimmadseni.

Thanks Sim, I did not know but for example Safari has not done that peculiar subspecies of allosaurus. It would be interesting a version of that dinosaur apart from the one we have in the collection (of the best that has been done) by Doug although it seems stupid to many members of the forum I would like Doug to make that version of the allosaurus, it is a theropod He needs even more representation in the toy market than he already has.

On the other hand, DTF members have demanded that Safari make dinosaurs of the same species in different positions. Wouldn't it be a great excuse for Safari and for Doug Watson to make that subspecies of allosaurus? Apart from that the sales success would be 100% assured. It would be very advisable.

Concavenator

These are my predictions for Safari's 2021 lineup:

Cryolophosaurus (I personally take this one for granted  :P)
Beipiaosaurus
Brachiosaurus and / or Apatosaurus
Protoceratops
Maiasaura
Tanystropheus
Saltasaurus
Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus
Borealopelta
Miragaia
Mosasaurus
Deinosuchus

I don't think they will release that many figures, but I'm pretty sure that at least one or two from this list will indeed be real. For the past few years, predicting what species Safari was going to release has been quite easy  ::)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on February 01, 2020, 03:06:08 PM
These are my predictions for Safari's 2021 lineup:

Cryolophosaurus (I personally take this one for granted  :P)
Beipiaosaurus
Brachiosaurus and / or Apatosaurus
Protoceratops
Maiasaura
Tanystropheus
Saltasaurus
Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus
Borealopelta
Miragaia
Mosasaurus
Deinosuchus

I don't think they will release that many figures, but I'm pretty sure that at least one or two from this list will indeed be real. For the past few years, predicting what species Safari was going to release has been quite easy  ::)

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I am hopeful that next year Safari will make a paraceratherium (it is one of my favorite prehistoric mammals) and is not represented as I would like in the toy market with a reasonable size and with an updated appearance. I pray that apart from some of your wishes mentioned on your list is the paraceratherium or even an elasmotherium made of a softer PVC material than its outstanding and beautiful collecta counterpart.

Sim

Interesting list, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator.  I'll share what I think too.  First of all, I generally really like the species choices Safari has been making.  They've been making both popular species that need a new version and also more obscure species.  With that out of the way, I feel like if they were going to do Protoceratops they would've by now.  Maybe not though.  I feel similar about Brachiosaurus, although I think it's more likely than Protoceratops.  I also don't think they would make Maiasaura so soon after the new Edmontosaurus.  And I don't think they're going to make Saltasaurus as it's too similar to Malawisaurus.

All that having been said, my guesses for what Safari will make is as follows:

Cryolophosaurus
Plateosaurus
Beipiaosaurus or Falcarius
Rhamphorhynchus or Dorygnathus
Gallimimus
Paraceratherium
Tanystropheus or Nothosaurus
Herrerasaurus
Maybe Brachiosaurus or Giraffatitan

I'm going to guess at least one or two from the list will happen.  The one I'm hoping for the most is Rhamphorhynchus or Dorygnathus!

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Plateosaurus is likely as well. One of the reasons of me predicting a Protoceratops is because it was featured in the Carnegie Collection many years ago.  Pachycephalosaurus and Deinonychus were also featured in the Carnegie Collection and they have been resculpted for this year.
And remember, the Carnegie line closed in 2015, and clearly Safari wants the species from the Carnegie Collection back again. Proof of this is that they have made a new Concavenator even though Carnegie did one not too far ago.

I hope they'll do different species than the best Carnegie models, because I have most of them, but that probably won't happen. For example, if they release a new Brachiosaurus, unless it turns out to be truly spectacular, I will definitely pass on it, because I already have the 2012 Carnegie one which is excellent.

And as you say, I can totally see the Cryolophosaurus, Plateosaurus, Beipiaosaurus and Brachiosaurus happening next year.

Takama

I sereisuly Want them to make a Bigger Brachiosaurus.  In 1:50 Scale

The original smaller 2010 model
http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/01/19/brachiosaurus-wild-safari-by-safari-ltd-2010-version/
does not do the animal justice in the presence of  there recently released larger sauropod figures like the Camarasaurus and (cough) Amargasaurus (Cough Cough).

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking how odd it was to release such a large Amargasaurus, bigger than the Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus figures... Brachiosaurus at least should have one really big figure (not Jurassic Park/World!!) on the market but think it is extremely unlikely at this point.  I think that the list by avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator sounds plausible.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

I'm still 100% happy with the second Carnegie Collection Brachiosaurus. I love its sculpting, its pose, its size, and its colour scheme. I seriously doubt I'd pick up a new Safari version. Giraffatitan, OTOH, would be a more tempting item.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'd rather they get to a large scale titanosaur before they do any more Carnegie re-sculpts. I would love to have an Alamosaurus or Argentinosaurus that's as hefty as the new Camarasaurus, or, if we're dreaming, the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus.

I do appreciate the Malawisaurus, and it's a prize addition to my collection; I'd just like to display it with some of the more impressive members of its family as well.  ;)

SidB

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on February 06, 2020, 02:41:50 PM
I'd rather they get to a large scale titanosaur before they do any more Carnegie re-sculpts. I would love to have an Alamosaurus or Argentinosaurus that's as hefty as the new Camarasaurus, or, if we're dreaming, the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus.

I do appreciate the Malawisaurus, and it's a prize addition to my collection; I'd just like to display it with some of the more impressive members of its family as well.  ;)
If size and weight are prohibitive issues preventing Safari from manufacturing the larger and heavier figures in this day and age, then an alternative might be for them to consider the Rebor approach: a detachable tail to save shipping space (purchasers can always glue it in place permanently) and going semi-hollow to save weight but still retain structural strength. We'd get our 1/35-1/40 scale sauropods this way.

Sim

For something a little different, I have a colouration I'd like to see from Safari in the future.  A red colouration similar to the Safari Monolophosaurus's.  I can't think of any other Wild Safari figure with a colouration like that.  I think it would be good to have another figure with those nice colour choices, like how it was nice that the orange of the Safari 2017 Velociraptor was used for the Safari 2020 Pachycephalosaurus, if not a similar orange.  Funnily enough I wouldn't want to see this colouration on the species I'd most like from Safari.  I think I'd like to see the red colour scheme on for example a new Ceratosaurus or Acrocanthosaurus or a megalosaurid.

Sim

Another colouration I'd like Safari to use again is a light green like on their Qianzhousaurus, but this time in a different colour combination, maybe with grey for example.  I'm not sure what animal I'd like to see it on though.

suspsy

Me, I want to see more blue dinosaurs along the line of the Gryposaurus.

Sim

Blue is an interesting colour choice that I'd like to see used again too.  I think it works well on the Safari Gryposaurus, the Carnegie Giganotosaurus and the Carnegie Cryolophosaurus.  If a new Cryolophosaurus is being made it could be nice for it to have blue on its crest, this looks really nice on the Carnegie Cryolophosaurus and red is used often on dinosaur crests so it would be nice to have something different.

suspsy

Yes, one reason I prefer the CC Giganotosaurus over the WS one is its colour scheme. They say blue and green em don't go well together, but they definitely work for that toy.

I also wouldn't mind seeing purple and pink as decorative colours, like on a crest or the front of a frill.

Shonisaurus

I would also like dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals with more vivid blue colors and I would add greens, although in my case I am in favor of muted paint colors I would not have the least inconvenience in buying blue dinosaur figures like the Safari gryposaurus, It is a very beautiful figure, but I would like them to have several layers of paint three or four like Papo's prehistoric animals to avoid abrasions and to keep the figure much better.

Dinoxels

A new Cryolophosaurus would be cool, would love to see a black Cryo with iridescent purple.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

SafariLTDLover

I've noticed that Safari's lineups for the past few years since 2016 tend to be comprised mostly of Carnegie re-makes with a few new species mixed in.  I gotta say they've caught up quickly with Carnegie's old lineup.
I think it's extremely likely we will see a Baryonyx   and Cryolophosaurus next year, with those two species getting considerable attention from film and to companies these past few years, and since Safari also had those species in their Carnegie line, it would only make sense.  I'd place Protoceratops as being among a likely candidate, as well as Saltasaurus and Borealopelta.  Personally I'd love to see the following from Safari:  Euoplocephalus, Plateosaurus, Nothronychus, Lambeosaurus, Ornithomimus, Nothosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Estemmenosuchus, Desmatosuchus, Noripterus, and Patagotitan.
Really any stegosaurid, Hadrosaurid, Therizinosaurid, Ankylosaurid, Triassic reptile or Paleozoic animal would make me more than happy.  :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: