You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I have been actively collecting, though you wouldn't know from my thread.  I've fallen behind with taking photographs.  Today's are only phone snap shots, but I took the view anything is better than no activity.  Two parcels arrived today.  The first, from Everything Dinosaur, contained the much anticipated Lingwulong, accompanied by the BotM Regaliceratops.  I've still to open that package.  The second, much smaller package arrived from Marilyn with two little resin models, both in 1:20 by the Chinese artist Sensen and painted by Martin Garratt (and sourced from the ever-reliable Dinosaur Darkroom Market on Facebook).  I love SenSen's small models, as they don't take up too much valuable space but allow me to buy new things fairly frequently.

The first was a little ceratopsian, Xenoceratops.  I'm ashamed to say I'd completely forgotten I'd ordered this - there's quite a lag sometimes between a pre-order and it being ready.  I remember looking at Dinosaur Darkroom's post saying it was now arrived and thinking, "Why on earth didn't I order that?"  But I had!

Here it is - nothing fancy about the base, but I like the way the greenish cast to the "rock" picks up the greenish/jade tones I'd requested for the model itself.  I asked Martin to base the colours of my Xenoceratops roughly around the gold/jade of the poster that came with PNSO's Duke the Spinops.

The second model is a pair of very charming Stegouros (seen in the background above).  SenSen was quick off the mark getting a model designed for this new discovery. At 1:20 they are very small indeed.  They have a rather naif art quality which I find extremely appealing.  And I like the touch of the nibbling vegetation!  The little trickle of water dribbling down the cliff is also a nice touch. I asked Martin to roughly base his painting around the original artwork that went with the discovery.

I'm very pleased with both little models.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Three good looking little fellas - with very handsome paintjobs to say the least. It's a joy to look at shelves decorated by such vibrant and bright colors.  :)

Halichoeres

Always a treat to see updates to this thread. Glad you haven't forgotten dinosaurs while looking after your cacti. :) And yes, very quick work by SenSen getting Stegouros into collectors' hands so soon after its publication. Both they and the Xenoceratops are very charming additions.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your acquisitions, those two stegouros are spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 17, 2022, 03:14:35 PMThe first was a little ceratopsian, Xenoceratops. .......

:D  What a cute looking & colourful little ceratopsian! Very well done by Martin. Congrats!

Bokisaurus

Another updated thread, yay! Those are some amazing models, I love the ceratopsian and the colors! :D

ceratopsian

Another day, another package from the postman, albeit a tiny one after yesterday's massive box - and another Triceratops!  I blame this one purely on avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian.  I saw it in his thread recently and decided I wanted one - despite how much I quiver with fear as I fit Kaiyodo models together.  I'm always terrified of pushing too hard and seeing part of the animal - in this case a horn! - shooting off across the room.

So here's the Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum 10 version of the Triceratops, described in the information sheet as "The Excavation Stories of Dinosaurs Vol. 10".

I have a soft spot for active, indeed rampaging, Triceratops - perhaps too active for what they could actually manage! - ever since I fell in love with the new ideas of vigorous dinosaurs back when Dinosaur Heresies was released.  I'm still really fond of my Michael Trcic Running Triceratops, which I bought early in my collecting life.  I loved the dynamism of the new Kaiyodo, shown off to perfection by postsaurischian's photo.

Here's a comparison shot taken with the Melbourne Museum version of the rather more stately recent CollectA Triceratops which arrived yesterday:

And a couple of shots of it with the Qualia Triceratops, which seems to have been woken from its peaceful nap by its more athletic mate.  The quality of the Qualia is inferior in detail to the Kaiyodo - but I love to see dinosaurs resting:

And finally a couple of shots of the information sheet that comes with it:

This side gave me heart failure when I opened the padded envelope, as I thought I'd been sent a Tyrannosaurus!

Ah - the slab is a polished chunk of a very battered vertebra from the Jurassic of Oxfordshire.  Sold as Cetiosaurus.

postsaurischian

:) Very beautiful pictures! I like especially the comparison shots. Very nice "base"!
     The CollectA Melbourne Triceratops is a beauty. It seems to be very photogenic.

Dusty Wren

That's a lovely little Triceratops, and it pairs nicely with the Qualia. I'm also a big fan of active ceratopsians, and I wish we saw them more often.
Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

Thank you avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian! They would not have been possible without you tempting me!

The Melbourne "Horridus" is indeed a beauty.  And it photographs much better than the "normal" version - which is interesting.

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 28, 2022, 03:40:56 PM:) Very beautiful pictures! I like especially the comparison shots. Very nice "base"!
    The CollectA Melbourne Triceratops is a beauty. It seems to be very photogenic.

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 28, 2022, 03:47:18 PMThank you avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian! They would not have been possible without you tempting me!

The Melbourne "Horridus" is indeed a beauty.  And it photographs much better than the "normal" version - which is interesting.

I feel honored :) .
 It might sound strange, but I have become aware of the fact that there are photogenic models and less photogenic models.
 There are beautiful models I'm not able to take good pictures of, because they just can't act naturally in front of a camera ;D .
 Colour of course also plays an important role.

Halichoeres

Considering the way rhinos can gallop, I don't know if this kind of rampaging is out of the question for Triceratops! In any event it's a very attractive little figure.

The polished vertebra is a cool base, too, very thematic.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ceratopsian

Thank you avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - true, rhinos can move very smartly indeed.

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian: The "normal" CollectA Triceratops is simply shy!  Yes, the colour is indeed important in whether a model is photogenic or not.  But it think it is also the different colours used on the model in combination, and how they interact with each other - the range of tone and so on.  I think the particular reason the "normal" Triceratops is less photogenic than the Melbourne version is partly the stark white on the "normal" frill.  It looks good on my shelf but less so on a photograph.

Loon

As neat as the new Kaiyodo set is (I'm very much anticipating its arrival),  that CollectA Triceratops looks astounding. I honestly didn't even recognize as the same figure for a second.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on November 19, 2022, 10:37:34 PMAs neat as the new Kaiyodo set is (I'm very much anticipating its arrival),  that CollectA Triceratops looks astounding. I honestly didn't even recognize as the same figure for a second.

It is quite a glow-up!

ceratopsian

Emerged from his packaging today and getting to know my Lindt Father Christmas!  I hope the Fans' Choice BotM Pachyrhinosaurus stays with me longer than Father Christmas will....

I hope that everyone here has a peaceful holiday (or riotous if that's your choice!)

SidB

You may want to have first call on that Lindt, looks like the Pachy has the same intention. Merry Christmas!

Concavenator

That Pachyrhinosaurus is stunning, and the fact that Gabriel Ugueto did the art for it is another plus. Congrats avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian !

If only it was in 1:35 scale I would snap it up in a heartbeat...

Halichoeres

That's a beautiful paint job. I hope Pachy enjoys the teddy bear that Father Christmas is feeding it.

ceratopsian

Thanks. I fear you are right. No sign of the teddy anymore!

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 27, 2022, 10:08:42 PMThat's a beautiful paint job. I hope Pachy enjoys the teddy bear that Father Christmas is feeding it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: