You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

BrontoScorpio

Well, so if we're at it, it's time to introduce my 'Coins' collection :
Other that some British museum, Kleinwelka and a sierra Leone set - all other are from special events and Expos in Japan -
so it would be understandable I will put it at the special Expo limited or Museum exclusive dinosaurs shelf :

These are all Favorite\Kinto\Dinostoreus Desktop models -
And if we're at it - That may be a nice opportunity to go over them too :

1. A 2nd pic of the Exclusive models, along with some 3 Oldies , 2 Dinostoreus scene models and Shane foulkes' Allosaurus :

And the complete view of the shelf :

2. Some Dinostoreus models along with 4 scene models by Favorite :

3. Mostly some newer Favorite Desktop models ( with some extras ... )

the same ... this pic is older - but I think better in quality ...

BrontoScorpio

That was my Favorite Desktop models collection.
Now for the soft models :

Favorite Collection ( フェバリット コレクション ) dinosaur soft model ( ダイナソー ソフトモデル )
New wave, by Araki Kazunari ( 荒木一成 )

A closer look on the special items corner :

Favorite Collection ( フェバリット コレクション ) dinosaur soft model ( ダイナソー ソフトモデル ) 
Old wave, by Hirokazu Tokugawa ( 徳川広和 ) ( and Takashi Oda ? )

I think I like the old version much better ...

Fossilized-Rubber

That pied, feathered raptor at the bottom is charming. I like the idea that these jungle predators would prowl with tail erect through the long grasses.

All I can think about is how much dusting you must need to do weekly! How do you stay on top of it?
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

BrontoScorpio

As I hardly buy any new PVC dinos for the last couple of years - these ones probably sit where they are for several years by now -
and, as you can see - they are not hidden under a large pile of dust.
I don't like seeing my dinos through glass - as I see my own reflection or the shiny big window at the opposite wall.
You are too kind worrying about any dust that might be present inside my house ...
probably every couple of years I'll give them some wash.

Fossilized-Rubber

I think my display room must have a lot of traffic, being a guest room. With all that fabric of duvets and carpets moving it makes a lot of dust! I clearly need a dinosaur specific room.

My collection is here

BrontoScorpio

Many of the items in my thread, like the 'Capsule Museum' and Study Room, old Metal models and others,
Along with various items from Expo events that were held there, came from the Tokyo ' National Museum of Nature and Science' .

Seeing here in  the Kaiyodo Capsule model :

Well, as a tribute to that place, I decided to go for the 'source' item sort of speaking, the main characteristic of that establishment - The life size Blue whale at the Entrance :

Seeing here a bit closer :

And even closer more ...

So it is understandable that at one point they will sell there, at the museum gift shop, an exclusive ( and expensive ) Resin model of that life size whale model :
National Museum of Nature and Science ( 国立科学博物館 ) Blue Whale ( シロナガスクジラ ) Model Figurine ( 模型 置物 フィギュア )

From up close :

And under :

With the ' Japanese Pavilion ' ( 日本館 ) Museum capsule ( カプセルミュージアム ) and it's tiny whale model - shows you how big this statue is :

Along with some of my other blue whales :

- 2 Schleich
- Favorite soft model
- Invicta ( Chromo & Painted )
- Epoch Toys - Earth Life Journey "Whale 1" -  gacha Capsule Collection ( エポック社トイズ  - 地球生命紀行「クジラ1」- ガチャ カプセルコレクション )
- Kitan Club Nature Technicolor Ocean I ( 奇譚クラブ ネイチャーテクニカラー 海洋I )

BrontoScorpio

Kaiyodo Soft Vinyl kit collection ( DINOLAND 1st wave ) 1/20 Allosaurus ( アロサウルス ) by Shinichi Yamashita ( 山下伸一 )

Next to the Kaiyodo DINOLAND 1/20 later version by Shinobu Matsumura :

Seeing her in one of the 1st book about Kaiyodo dinosaurs :

And in the back of the old 80's kaiyodo models at the Kaiyodo museum :

And here in the center of the Exhibition :

Actually, with this Last model, I complete all 7 Soft Vinyl items, found in the Old Kaiyodo Catalog, which comprise the DINOLAND 1st wave :

Here it is - from the 88' Catalog -  all seven are now 'checked'  ... :)

Actually, there should have been two more to the Soft Vinyl 1st wave -
The two items never materialized as Soft Vinyl models - and remained as Resin prototypes.
The T-rex, it seems, has never been commercialy produced - and remained a phantom model -
but The Triceratops will have a bright future as the center piece of the 84-88 Resin models collection Catalog -
and has no where to go but up ...

Later on Came this 1st ver. T-rex by Shinobu Matsumura :

And then the 18 well known 2nd wave figures - here in the early 90's Kaiyodo DINOLAND Catalog :

All together 7 + 1 + 18 = 26 different items.
And here they are, all 26 of them, at the Top of my dino shelves :

Adding the Sofubi* Triceratops will have my Kaiyodo Soft Vinyl collection complete :
( *Which is actually a confusion and a miss translate of the term 'メガ - ソフビ - アドバンス'  - 'Mega Advanced Soft Vinyl ' when connection all 3 Japanese words )

Fossilized-Rubber

Can we get a close up on that all-white plesiosaurus? It's splendid.

My collection is here

BrontoScorpio

Thanks,
First, for each of the pics in my thread, which are hosted in 'Postimage',  you can always 'Open in a new window/Sheet' and then 'Postimage'  let you press the (+) to enlarge the pic to a full screen.
Second, downloading the pic and then opening it in it's full size.
Third, Here is a detailed look of my unpainted Elasmosaurus.

CityRaptor

You know, that first wave Allosaurus is totally Gwangi. Just needs some cowboys.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BrontoScorpio

Yes, Totally, or at least some Gwangi some Stout ... who really influenced these artists at the time.
I am not a fan - so, normally I wouldn't have gotten it, maybe except of completion reasons -
But, I received this one as part of a big Lot, with other items whom I wanted.

BrontoScorpio

That Day I was heading to a special place :

Getting closer ...

And there on the right it was :

The Paris Museum of natural history , or Galerie de Paléontologie et d'Anatomie comparée, Paris :

And this is how it looks with a better camera in a better sunny day ...

Every hall should have a Colosal Sauropod that dominates the center of the main exhibition ...

... And a T-rex ...

Seems somewhat pleased with myself ...

Sarcosuchus (?) ...

And some giant non-dinosaurs :

From up-close ( There was really poor light in there ... )

And from the  back ( the other side ) -

Also visited the living skeleton floor - for my favorite living animals - Whales :

BrontoScorpio

Earlier I mentioned it - and there it is - The great Dame herself - one of the 4 most valued pieces in the old 'Dinosaur Museum Series' from the 80's by Kaiyodo - 

Kaiyodo ( 海洋堂 ) 1/20 Triceratops  ( トリケラトプス ) Professionally built Resin Garage Kit ( レジン  ガレージキット ) by Kazunari Araki ( 荒木一成 )  :

It is amazing how the left side looks so different than the right side :

As I mentioned earlier - it started as a resin prototype for a commercial Soft Vinyl kit that never came along :

As seen here in  the 84' Catalog :

But later on became a resin kit on it's own :

here at the Kaiyodo original kits catalog :

It was given a distinguished place at the one and only coloured page of the Kaiyodo Kits Catalog :

and it turned out to be perhaps the most recognized of all Kaiyodo kits

With many known artists celebrating it as the simbol of Araki's modeling works :

Up close :

Some famous builtup pieces found in catalogs and brochures have since been introduced in Exhibitions :

Like this one, from the Araki book :

Like here in the Kaiyodo Figure World :

Or here, at the Kaiyodo Museum :

Or this model :

Exhibit in a museum here :

Another version is shown here - next to one of the other big four :

And compare next to another famous 1/20 Triceratops by araki from 1988 :

And.. of course, the Don Glut version and more ...

In the Catalog itself it was one of the most costly items - and later on was practically impossible to get.
Seeing here after, I saw it offered only three other times in the last 6 years, sometimes in a bad shape, 
... and I did the math for USD ...

Luckily, this time, it was part of a large group/Lot - what made it more difficult to pin point and also to handle - 
I needed to assemble 3 different parcels -
but, ironically, I think, that made the competition much easier - 
and I got it for less than half that much of all of the above :

Yes, that's right - It came along with the other three 1/20 ceratops of the Catalog :

And now I have them all - ready for a group shot :

All four 1/20 ceratopsians of the Resin Catalog :

And in the Kaiyodo models picture chart :

So, it's a good opportunity to have a comparisson group shot of all four Kaiyodo resins from the 80's -
next to all four,  1/20 scale as well,   Kaiyodo Vinyls all but one from the 90's  :

- Styracosaurus
- Chasmosaurus
- Anchiceratops / Monoclonius
- Triceratops

The two 1/20 trikes are basically the same lenght :

But the Resin has a much heavier built :

Not forgetting to compare it also to the 1/35 ver. kit :

which Also from the same Catalog - you can see the difference in size ( and price ... )

One last comparisson shot - with a well known ( Kinto ) 1/40 scale example :

Come to think of it - I can now complete the Trikes collection from the 86' Catalog :

And if you care to notice - I now have a new device - so this pic and all other that follow, will be of a much better quality ...

Just wrapping up with a shot of the 86' Artpla magazine - all 6 ceratops being described together :

BrontoScorpio

Maybe it's about time to pay some respect to the lower shelves :

The  first floor consist of two brands that are of about same size and structure :

1. Happinet ( ハピネット ) Great Dinosaur Age ( 大恐竜時代 )

2. SEGA ( セガ ) ancient champion ( 古代王者 )  Dinosaur King ( 恐竜キング ) Soft Vinyl Figure ( ソフビ フィギュア )

Got some bundles over the years :

Of both lines :

Sometimes just Happinet :

And sometimes Sega :

And my collection started growing gradually :

And even more :

And now it's all complete -
Happinet Great Dinosaur Age :

SEGA Dinosaur King Soft Vinyl Figure and some Happinet leftovers in the back

And the rest of the SEGA Line :

and it's time to join the smaller examples of the Sega Dinosaur King ( セガ  恐竜キング ) line - big and small together :

Saurolophus & Iguanodon :

3 kinds of sega Parasaurolophus :

Sega Spino :

Ceratosaurus(?) :

some sauropods :

and 4 Trikes versions :

some pairs of small and very small sega dino kings :

Many Ankylosaurs :

And last, but not least, 6 versions of the Sega dino king T-rex :

Some came from small boxes such as this :

And others even smaller :

or somewhat bigger, such as the Sega Dinosaur King action figure ( ガ  恐竜キング  アクションフィギュア )  :

The 12 action figure set in the back is really my favorite :

Next to the 'Sega Sunrise DINOSAUR KING Playmates Toys' :

Took even the smaller ones out of the boxes :

And have them all, but the smallest set or two, at the 2nd shelf :

Lanthanotus

I see your impressive collection is growing even further :)

Sorry for quoting some pics, but other my questions would be a bit clumsy....

Since you seem very firm with the background of these obscure Japanese figures (at least from a Western view I think), allow me some questions....

The Stegosaurus in this image

looks like a deadringer of the Horizon Stegosaurus (reviewed here, but mine is slightly customized)....also the T. rex in this image

is very reminiscent in its pose to the Horizon T.rex (reviewed here, but note the image on the original cardboard box as mine is also customized). I read somewhere that Horizon was founded by some Chinese immigrants but know no further. Can you, by any chance, shed some light on this?

Last but not least... I like that down right Stegosaurus. Do you have further images of this?

Concavenator

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 28, 2023, 10:49:33 AM... Allow me some questions....
1. The Stegosaurus in this image looks like a deadringer of the Horizon Stegosaurus

2. ... I like that down right Stegosaurus. Do you have further images of this?

3. ... Also the T. rex in this image is very reminiscent in its pose to the Horizon T.rex ... Can you, by any chance, shed some light on this?

You must be talking about these two Horizons :

For the Horizon Stegosaurus - you did ask me about it some time ago.
It does look highly similar, and I have no independent knowledge - As I have never seen any Kaiyodo kit that look like this stegosaurus.
But, as it shown among Kaiyodo items in the Exhibition, I drive the conclusionit's a kaiyodo.

About the small Stegosaurus at the down right -
You did ask me about another Stegosaurus by Kaiyodo - and had me put pics of them all further down.

As for the big T-rex -
You are right, the posture reminds the Horizon too much for comfort, and it had crossed my mind also.
But the Kaiyodo T-rex is from 1984 - so it predated the Horizon.
If you are to look at my introduction to the ' Dinosaur Museum Series' - down at the 10th picture -
you could see it at the top-right corner of the Kaiyodo Catalog for the humble amount ( 40 years ago ) of 38,000 JPY.

Most references were also available in the Trike post - but  I'll put them again :

- Both 1/20 Triceratops & 1/20 T-rex in a Kaiyodo brochure explained by Araki himself.
- The 1/20 T-rex from the 86' Artpla Catalog.
- You can see Araki's comment under the picture of the Trike & T-rex

This T-rex is even more rare and expensive than the big trike.
It was offered only twice, in the last 5 years or so, and like with the Trike - you can see my USD translation ...

Ikessauro

Love how much information you share with each acquisition or collection tour.
Allow me to clarify something. A few pages back, you posted a picture of the "Goblin Factory's Quetzalcoatlus next to Colorata, Schleich , Kaiyodo and Papo Quetzalcoatlus. One of them was a really bright pink with orange beak. Is that the Kaiyodo one? If so, from which line? Is it factory painted or custom? I really find it interesting, would love to get one someday, if it is not too hard to find.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: