News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boki's Collection: A short goodbye (until we meet again) 3/7/23

Started by Bokisaurus, January 12, 2018, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Duna on July 21, 2021, 08:06:11 PMAnd it stands very firmly, as firm as the Eofauna giganotosaurus

I also have the Eofauna Giganotosaurus, but mine isn't able to stand anymore. It used to be stable, it was for about a year, but ever since it has had stability issues (it doesn't stand). So of course every company will tell you "it stands"  when it comes to bipeds. Of course it does (the prototype), but what happens afterwards is a completely different story if they don't include anything to ensure its stability. I know a lot of people also have stability issues with the Eofauna Giga (not that I'm surprised, it's to be expected).

Quote from: Duna on July 21, 2021, 08:06:11 PM
I highly recommend the GR Toys over the PNSO.
Yup. While I think both PNSO's and GR's versions are fantastic in their own right, I personally favor the GR, but simply because of certain design choices, such as the more slender build, the presence of lips (this aspect isn't really crucial for me, but I certainly value them) and the colour scheme.

Quote from: Duna on July 21, 2021, 08:06:11 PMand it doesn't need a rod (I just didn't want another PNSO figure with rod).

Sorry Duna, but I completely disagree regarding the PNSO rods. I think it's the best possible solution to stability issues on bipeds. It's optional, you display them with the rods if you want / you need. Even if the figure has issues standing you could opt for not using the rod and apply any other method, such as the "hot and cold water" or the hair dryer. Which, you would probably use anyways in other figures that don't come with any rods. And even if you use the rod, they're transparent and are barely even noticeable. I have always displayed the only PNSO biped I have at the moment (the Qianzhousaurus, which I know you also have because I saw it in your collection thread) with the rod, and it's barely even noticeable. And it's not like it never stood on its own, at first it used to be very stable, in fact, I was surprised at how good it used to stand. So it (surely) won't be any different if I get this  Carcharodontosaurus (or any other biped that doesn't come with a base or rod)

Leyster

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 21, 2021, 05:13:20 PM

Just remember, this figure COST TWICE as much as the PNSO figure that should give you some context. Unless you are absolutely involve with this color or sculpt (I happen to really love the color), the PNSO has better value $ wish.
Let's just say that I highly disagree with this statement. Not only on Aliexpress the price difference was far less when the figures were available for preorder (paid my Carcharodontosaurus 50 euros), but now the GR is 54 euros and the PNSO 37 (still not twice). And the GR is, like, 30% bigger, so the higher price is justified. The GR Carcharodontosaurus is as big as the reissued Amargasaurus, but cheaper and with a better paintjob. Aside from this, the PNSO head sculpt has serious issues, begining with being based on an outdated restoration (which is true for the GR, too, to an extent, but at least the GR is less outdated and within the realm of plausibility, opposed to the original skull restoration by Sereno that PNSO used) and ending with an excessive overbite. I don't think PNSO has a better value (please note that I myself was very optimistic about the PNSO, then dumped it when pictures of the head surfaced).

*I too think PNSO rods are quite useless. The ones that I own than can stand, like the Tarbosaurus, can stand without the rods too, while the ones that can't stand, like the Allosaurus, neither can stand with the rod.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Leyster on July 22, 2021, 12:10:10 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 21, 2021, 05:13:20 PM

Just remember, this figure COST TWICE as much as the PNSO figure that should give you some context. Unless you are absolutely involve with this color or sculpt (I happen to really love the color), the PNSO has better value $ wish.
Let's just say that I highly disagree with this statement. Not only on Aliexpress the price difference was far less when the figures were available for preorder (paid my Carcharodontosaurus 50 euros), but now the GR is 54 euros and the PNSO 37 (still not twice). And the GR is, like, 30% bigger, so the higher price is justified. The GR Carcharodontosaurus is as big as the reissued Amargasaurus, but cheaper and with a better paintjob. Aside from this, the PNSO head sculpt has serious issues, begining with being based on an outdated restoration (which is true for the GR, too, to an extent, but at least the GR is less outdated and within the realm of plausibility, opposed to the original skull restoration by Sereno that PNSO used) and ending with an excessive overbite. I don't think PNSO has a better value (please note that I myself was very optimistic about the PNSO, then dumped it when pictures of the head surfaced).

*I too think PNSO rods are quite useless. The ones that I own than can stand, like the Tarbosaurus, can stand without the rods too, while the ones that can't stand, like the Allosaurus, neither can stand with the rod.

L @Leyster sure, you can disagree with me on that one. But I think you missed my point completely.
I don't buy from AE, and I don't k ow if you purchased the figure without box.
Sales and discounts aside, the figure still cost more as it should be since it is well made and  exquisitely painted.
I got mine at Dans dinosaurs and you can check out the price.

And comparing the amargasaurus is like comparing apples and oranges 🤣 totally different and missed my point.

As for the rods? I for one is thankful that PNSO have them in case I ended up needing it. It's an optional item that have saved many figures.

And I want to be clear that there is a BIG difference between being able to stand and being Stable.
The figure absolutely can stand on its feet perfectly! But then every vibration would cause it to topple over which makes it not stable on its feet.
I don't want to end up having this beautiful model broken or worse, take out other expensive models with it when it fall.
So I used a PNSO rod to secure it.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator i used the rod that came with the carnosaurus since it was the longest and worked perfectly. Hope that helps.

Concavenator

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 22, 2021, 06:52:43 PM
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator i used the rod that came with the carnosaurus since it was the longest and worked perfectly. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info!  :) Definitely helpful.

I totally agree with you B @Bokisaurus regarding the PNSO stands. My Qianzhousaurus stands only because I'm using the rod that came with it.

Leyster

L @Leyster sure, you can disagree with me on that one. But I think you missed my point completely.
Sales and discounts aside, the figure still cost more as it should be since it is well made and  exquisitely painted.

And comparing the amargasaurus is like comparing apples and oranges 🤣 totally different and missed my point.

As for the rods? I for one is thankful that PNSO have them in case I ended up needing it. It's an optional item that have saved many figures.

And I want to be clear that there is a BIG difference between being able to stand and being Stable.
The figure absolutely can stand on its feet perfectly! But then every vibration would cause it to topple over which makes it not stable on its feet.
I don't want to end up having this beautiful model broken or worse, take out other expensive models with it when it fall.

Just cheched Dan's Dinosaurs. I admit that the price there is higher, but in this case you shouldn't say that the price is twice as much as if it was an universal fact, since it's store-dependant (to be clear, I compared both prices on the same Aliexpress store, and both with the boxed version, which is the one I bought). Also about stability, I think it depends, too, mine has kept itself stabile without rods since I bought it, longer than any bipedal PNSO I own.

*PS: English is not my mother language, so I hope my messages don't sound harsh  ^-^
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Kapitaenosavrvs

Don't mind me in this Discussion. I just stopped by to say, how thankful i am for these Threads again. :D

Curious for the Review, Boki! I do not know why, but that GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus never ... got me. It looks so well made, but something about it feels off. Interesting.

Halichoeres

This is a really nice Carcharodontosaurus. I imagjne you're as excited as I am about their forthcoming Dicraeosaurus?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Leyster on July 23, 2021, 08:00:43 AM

Just cheched Dan's Dinosaurs. I admit that the price there is higher, but in this case you shouldn't say that the price is twice as much as if it was an universal fact, since it's store-dependant (to be clear, I compared both prices on the same Aliexpress store, and both with the boxed version, which is the one I bought). Also about stability, I think it depends, too, mine has kept itself stabile without rods since I bought it, longer than any bipedal PNSO I own.

*PS: English is not my mother language, so I hope my messages don't sound harsh  ^-^

L @Leyster okay, if it make you feel better, the figure still cost anywhere between $20-40 depending on where you get it, happy?
I think you totally just missed my point.
And as far as stability, I'm glad your is stable, good for you. Mine is not, so I have to use a PNSO rod to secure it since it didn't come with any option.
So for people who got an unstable figure, what options are there then to secure it?
Anyway, English is not my first language as well, so I do understand that sometimes there are things lost in translation 😃
Cheers!

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs i know exactly what you mean about this figure, I have the same feeling as well.
The only reason I got it was I really love the colors and I was curious if they could capture those in the final product.
I think this model is suffering from overproduction that it really looks contrived more like an art piece that looks amazing on a display shelf and not as organic than the PNSO that blends well in the outdoor.
I'm taking this figure with me on vacation in two week to take photos of it outdoors for my reviews, so it would be a good test.😃

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres im absolutely excited about the sauropod! 😃

Bokisaurus

Well well well, what do we have here! :))
Andrea arrived surprisingly quick! What an amazing figure this one really is, and if I have to choose only ONE Tyrannosaurus rex for my collections this would be it!
I am signed up to review it, so I will save my comments and more photos for it. I will say that I'm totally enamored by this figure and really happy to finally have it and see it in person.
[]

And also, this little one was waiting for me after I got back from my vacation trip ;D
Logan the Nanotyrannus, yeah yeah, I know it's controversial. I have to say, it's one amazing little figure that has all the great details as the larger models from PNSO. I was impressed by the level of details on it. The gas articulation is as seamless as those on the larger figure which is amazing considering how tiny this figure is, the paint application is also spot on even on those teeth and tiny eyes!

I for one don't have a horse in the whole debate about Nano/Juvinile Rex debate. The way I see it is that it really is a win win situation regardless of which side of the debate you fall in.
Also, as long as there is still a possibility of it being a valid species, as remote as that may be, I'm keeping an open mind.
For those who want a Nanotyrannus you got it! And those who consider it a juvenile rex, yay, you got a beautiful figure of it finally! See? Win win ;) For display, I am treating it as a Juvi rex and it makes a wonderful addition to PNSO's Tyrant family portrait!
[]
For fun, here he is with CollectA's official juvenile rex ;)
[]

AND what you all have been waiting for and really wanted to see! ;D ;D ;D
The Tyrant Family >:D
[]

There ya go! Cheers! :))

ceratopsian

Your customary stone base fits "Andrea"to perfection!  I look forward to your review. I take the same view as you on the Nanotyrannus. It works whichever name you think is the valid one.

Bread

Congratulations Bokisaurus on your acquisitions! Lovely photos as usual and I love seeing the rex family together, fantastic!

I am curious to know how you are displaying Andrea on your shelves? One thing I have against that figure is the head facing a little too far down, making the jaw articulation somewhat useless, unless the figure is displayed on a base. 

SidB

B @Bokisaurus , I agree about the quality of detailing on Logan. This makes it worth the price for me (ordered one for $30, then another for$20).

Bokisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian yes it fit her perfectly and will be used as her throne 😃

avatar_Bread @Bread - thanks. Yeah, the mouth jaw articulation is pretty much limited on this figure, but for me it doesn't really matter.
It's not the ability of the jaw to open that makes this figure so unique and exciting to me, it's it's pose😃 and at this point, most of the articulated theropod I have I keep their mouth closed anyway, already have too many with mouth wide open 🤣
The mouth can be opened slightly if the figure is on a very flat surface.
For your question about display- I plan on using my signature rock as her throne on the shelf 😃 it has a slight raised part that allows enough room for her mouth to be open if I wanted to.
I'll try to post photo of the display once I have it all finalized.
I tell ya, this figure is something else 😃

S @SidB yup, very impressive details on the little one! So you got two then?

SidB

B @Bokisaurus , well, sort of. I ordered two, the $30 has arrived, but the $20 with free shipping not yet. The seller claimed a Sept to Oct ETA., so I wasn't holding my breath. Funny thing about this seller, though. As I recollect, his satisfaction rating was approximately 93% or so, which, as we know, is no great shakes. HOWEVER, when I checked the order out on eBay yesterday, the listed rating had plummeted to 81 percent!

Ouch! (You get what you pay for?) Well, I'll just have to see - eBay's refund policy applies here, so one way or another, I won't be left holding the bag.

Bread

B @Bokisaurus Oooooo I'll be looking out for that display image then. And yes this figure is really unique and just something different compared to all other Tyrannosaurus figures on the market, hopefully more companies or just PNSO continue to add more figures that have this sort of pose.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Bread on August 21, 2021, 08:38:14 PM
B @Bokisaurus Oooooo I'll be looking out for that display image then. And yes this figure is really unique and just something different compared to all other Tyrannosaurus figures on the market, hopefully more companies or just PNSO continue to add more figures that have this sort of pose.

Yeah I found myself trying to figure out where to display the group.
I think I'm going to separate them from my main display to really highlight this unique grouping 😃
I too hope PNSO or any other brands will produce more unconventional pose.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new acquisitions. This PNSO family of tyrannosaurus is one of the umpteenth and brilliant contributions to collecting about the tyrannosaurus rex. The feet of the nanotyrannus are very fine and so are the legs. It is a very well made work of art by this wonderful Chinese company.

Bokisaurus

Well, its finally here! PNSO's Zaha the Dunkleosteus and what a magnificent figure it is!
I was blown away by the beauty and amazing realism of this figure! For me it is t he definitive version in my collection hands down, I just can't believe how lifelike it is, cover the head and you would think you are looking at a trout!
The subtle colors are multi-layered with so much nuances and iridescent that really plays with the light.The details are amazing with just the right size of scales and some skin folds to add some tension and movement. They may have compromised a bit with the curved pose, but I think it really worked and brought life to it and not just looking static or taxidermy mount like many good versions out there.
The jaw articulation is amazing, its a work of engineering to pull of something with so much moving parts . To open, you will have to pull the lower and upper jaw separately since they are o n two separate hinges, but do be careful of those teeth, they are sharp! ;D

As overdone as this fish is, I'm so glad that PNSO made one and really went all out. There maybe some others out there that have more accurate body shape, but this one is so real looking it washes any little shortcomings as far as I'm concerned. I highly recommend it as it surely will be the showstopper on any prehistoric fish display!
[]

And some comparisons with Mojo and RECUR ( I have my other figures put away):
[]

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new figure that dunkleosteus is a beautiful figure, his bright paint tones are masterful. The sculpture of him is acceptable and the price is too high for his size. Anyway a great figure.

Faelrin

Looks so much better in these in hand pics (still wish the dorsal fin was farther up, but it is what it is). Congrats on getting your hand on this beauty.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: