News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Schleich World of History

Started by pylraster, August 18, 2012, 05:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreativtek

Quote from: pylraster on November 04, 2015, 05:56:30 AM
I thought the big apato was retired, or is it back in stock?

It is retired, but I managed to grab one of the last 7 specimens available on Amazon (DE & UK). Yay for me!

pylraster

I wish I had gotten that big apato. :( One of the few Schleichs that has charm

kreativtek

Quote from: pylraster on November 04, 2015, 06:32:32 PM
I wish I had gotten that big apato. :( One of the few Schleichs that has charm

Someone here managed to grab one at TK MAXX so keep your eyes open!

CityRaptor

Speaking of the big Apatosaurus and TK Maxx, I have a question.  Today I saw a few of them at TK Maxx. Is it normal for them to look like a piece of their flank has been cut out and glued back in ? Not just on one side, but on both. Every single one of them looked like that.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 26, 2015, 02:16:08 PM
Speaking of the big Apatosaurus and TK Maxx, I have a question.  Today I saw a few of them at TK Maxx. Is it normal for them to look like a piece of their flank has been cut out and glued back in ? Not just on one side, but on both. Every single one of them looked like that.

The 2009 one? Mine's like that, too. IIRC there's a seamline between the front and back legs (I don't have it on hand right now).
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

Yes, the 2009 one.  The seam line is less noticaple, but those parts at their flanks were extremely obvious, as if they were pieces of Dino Damage.
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 20, 2016, 01:06:27 AM
Is it my impression or there's actually a general tendency to deride Schleich figures despite those ending up in most people's collections?
Honestly I think there's more disdain for the company than for their figures, that and availability often means these are the only figures people have available locally.

Takama

For one there EVERYWHERE and they try to claim that there the best company and think other companeys are inferior to the point that they make stores that want to stock them promise that they dont stock any other brand.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on February 20, 2016, 04:11:08 AM
For one there EVERYWHERE and they try to claim that there the best company and think other companeys are inferior to the point that they make stores that want to stock them promise that they dont stock any other brand.

If any company can be accused of such a claim, I think it would be Rebor. They have stated as much on their Facebook and their posts here on the forum. I have not seen Schleich ever state that they consider themselves to be "the best company" (but isn't it implied that all companies consider their products to be the best and worthy of our money?). They are just very ubiquitous.

Btw, I don't care for Schleich's toys but I think hating on them because they're everywhere is pointless. Do you hate Kleenex tissues because they're everywhere?

postsaurischian

I've been hearing these rumours about Schleich every now and then and it's absolutely ridiculous.
Come on! It's a small factory in the south of Germany - they're not the Mafia, they're not Coca Cola or Mc Donalds (companies that even kill for their economic aims). They're just producing little handpainted figures most children seem to like :).

How in the world would they force the shops and retailers to only sell their products? I can only speak for Germany, but we have judicature and laws here and there's no way to do so. If a shop in Germany wants to sell Papo, then it does (some do). The Carnegie line has been available in shops for decades and there's Bullyland (almost in every shop that also sells Schleich). It's really only up to shop's owner. People seem to need all these conspiracy theories.

Sim

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 20, 2016, 01:54:42 PM
So it's basically just people deriding Schleich style and then end up collecting their figures anyway.

No, there is more to it.  Schleich's prehistoric figures tend to be awful, but the same is true for the company itself.  See Reply #594 here for more on this and in the thread I linked to there (Schleich's future) there is more spread over the different pages of that thread.  I don't have time to compile quotes from that thread, so if you want to see for yourself what the details are, have a read through the Schleich's future thread.

stargatedalek

I have personally heard from a retailer that Schleich has in fact threatened them, in a vague sense of the word mind you. The Schleich representative apparently chastised them for stocking CollectA and Papo and said that they would refuse to sell figures to them if they continued, then he went on to list large chain stores like TRU and Walmart etc. and imply that the shop would have no way of competing with said stores if they didn't stock Schleich. Last I knew I heard this story while they were clearing out all their Schleich products but this was on my vacation to Maine so I haven't exactly revisited.

MLMjp

What you said may be the reason why one of my local toyshops stopped selling papos about two years ago. However they also sell Collecta and they are still selling them and stocking their new products, because that were I got my 2015 deluxe Spinosaurus.

CityRaptor

There is also the issue with manipulated Amazon reviews. Sure, others do it, too, but it is exteme obvious with Schleich.

As for buying them anyways: That is not true, only specific models.

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 20, 2016, 11:13:19 AM
The Carnegie line has been available in shops for decades and there's Bullyland (almost in every shop that also sells Schleich). It's really only up to shop's owner. People seem to need all these conspiracy theories.

Really? You have non-online, non-Museum shops that sell the Carnegie Collection around in your part of Germany? Because where I am, it is mostly Schleich, with other brands mainly limited to Museum Shops.
An interesting thing is that most Museum Shops, including Berlin, the Museum that Schleich claimed worked with them, actually have other brands than Schleich.
Oh no

Halichoeres

I can't speak for anyone else, but in addition to aggressive marketing, I find Schleich a bit frustrating because they're clearly capable of making really nice toys (reflected in their extant figures, for example), but they really seem to phone it in on most of their prehistorics. That said, there is usually at least one exception per year.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

yeah, their extant animals are great, so imagine what they could do with prehistoric mammals. But nope, we get more cartoony dinos.

DC

Schleich is a business and they will make what sells.  Some hard to find figures are the small ones from the play sets released in 2015, the birds and Pterosaurs are very collectable.  This year I want to get Barapasaurus and the ammonites.   I just got the watering hole and it works great.

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/EcIberia.html

I want to see them do some more trees.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

terrorchicken

nice use of the waterhole! I recently got the waterfall, but I havent had a chance to really open it up and explore it. I think Schelich really excels in scenery helpers. They should make some new prehistoric trees for their next dino play sets.

japfeif

Quote from: DC on April 18, 2016, 04:42:00 PM
Schleich is a business and they will make what sells.  Some hard to find figures are the small ones from the play sets released in 2015, the birds and Pterosaurs are very collectable.  This year I want to get Barapasaurus and the ammonites.   I just got the watering hole and it works great.

I know that their full-sized offering this year include the Herrerasaurus and the Dunkleosteus (plus the already-released Dimetrodon & Dilophosaurus)....I can't seem to find much info on the Barapasaurus. Is it a full-sized one like the others, or is it one of the smaller mini ones like the Dimorphodon, etc.?

Halichoeres

Quote from: japfeif on April 21, 2016, 02:38:27 AM
Quote from: DC on April 18, 2016, 04:42:00 PM

I know that their full-sized offering this year include the Herrerasaurus and the Dunkleosteus (plus the already-released Dimetrodon & Dilophosaurus)....I can't seem to find much info on the Barapasaurus. Is it a full-sized one like the others, or is it one of the smaller mini ones like the Dimorphodon, etc.?

This photo is from the Schleich New for 2016 thread. The Barapasaurus looks to be a pretty substantial figure.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: