News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

Big announcement!

https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/posts/5156608287687668/?d=n

KICKSTARTER INFO: Pictured here in addition to our Beasts of the Mesozoic: Tyrannosaur Series Kickstarter thumbnail image, is a breakdown of all of the parts involved with the 27" 1/18th scale Tyrannosaurus rex figure. The 1/35th version is mostly the same with the omission of the wrist joints.  And as we approach the launch for the Kickstarter next Wednesday, I'm happy to finally be able to address two of the most commonly asked questions: ``How much will they cost?" and "How will they stand?" Both are very good questions and now that I have the information that I need from the factory, I can address them here as well as a few others.

Pricing- The large 1/18th scale T. rex will be $200 each and the 1/35th scale T. rex will be $60 each on Kickstarter. As with previous series', the prices will increase a bit afterward for the preorder and then again for retail. Projected release is Sept. 2022, but since we already have the fine cuts in development, this is a conservative estimate and it could be a little sooner. Also, the special edition variants will be $210 and $65 respectively due to the more elaborate packaging.

Standing- the standing issue will be resolved with interchangeable solid lower legs that peg into the base, with the intention that you use one lower leg essentially as the 'stand' while the other leg remains poseable. This will be the case with all figures 14" and larger. Anything smaller than that will still require a standing rod due to the small feet and/or to maintain a specific price point. Flat foot standing without the base may be possible, but I won't know for sure until we have test shot figures completed.

The initial funding goal will be for the four T. rex figures- the standard 1/18th and 1/35th scale figures, plus the two special variants-1/18th 'Dino Riders homage' T. rex (limited to 1000) and the 1/35th 'Walking with Dinosaurs homage' T. rex (not limited). All of the other figures will be stretch goals and the order will be revealed during the Kickstarter campaign. The exact time of launch will be Sept. 22nd at 11am EST.

I hope that helps give everyone a clearer idea of what to expect and it would be a great help if you all could please spread the word about this Tyrannosaur Series Kickstarter and let as many people know about this as you can in the days leading up to launch. All of your support is very much appreciated. Check back in for more reveals as we get closer to the 22nd. Thanks everyone!

[/b]
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

I'll have to add this to the op. This is great news to have in advance.

Maybe starting with the T. rex in both scales this time, with everything else being stretch goals, will help immensely with getting funds. I truly hope this is his most successful campaign yet. Fingers crossed.

Knowing the cost of these though ahead of time helps take the brunt of it before it goes live. If I'm lucky I can afford the WWD T. rex but that might have to be in for now with ny situation.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Yes, after the campaign ends, cards are charged to collect project funds (important to also note that it is only if the kickstarter is funded successfully in time when the campaign ends, which I have no doubts for this one). Typically most campaigns are 30 days, so assuming this one is, that may gives folks about a month to start saving if they haven't yet.

Edit: Pics regarding the post avatar_suspsy @suspsy shared:

Also since I'm updating the op with this info, I may as well add in the Daspletosaurus prototype sculpt as well.

Dromaenychus

Quote from: Bread on September 16, 2021, 11:23:12 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 16, 2021, 08:47:51 PM
Quote from: Bread on September 16, 2021, 08:33:59 PM
Quote from: Dinoxels on September 16, 2021, 10:25:03 AM
Quote from: suspsy on September 16, 2021, 02:25:10 AM
When the previous two BotM Kickstarters launched, what was the precise time of day that they commenced? I'm presuming that David isn't intending to launch this one right at 12:00 AM on the 22.
David confirmed the other day that it will be at 11am EST.
That's good news. I was worried I would have to stay awake throughout the night waiting for the kickstarter to drop. I am worried with the exclusives being limited based and not made to order that they will sell out in a heartbeat.

I'll definitely be sitting in front of the laptop at 11am sharp next Wednesday.
Same, I presume the 1/35th WWD will be sold out soon after the kickstarter launches. It being the smaller scale and limited run, I hope it does not result in a lot of resellers.
The WWD exclusive will not be limited. Only the Dino Riders 1/18th scale exclusive will be limited.

Concavenator

A question about accuracy here: do these tyrannosaurs reflect the gastralia? I'm simply asking because the T.rex doesn't look as deep chested as the newer Wilson from PNSO.

I have one question regarding that quote avatar_suspsy @suspsy posted from David Silva. He said the price will increase afterward for the preorder, but aren't you already preordering a figure when you back it on Kickstarter (in case the campaign is successful, of course)?

Dobber

So glad to hear the WWD Rex isn't limited. I don't care for the Dinoriders Rex so this works out well for me.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: Concavenator on September 18, 2021, 08:08:03 AM
I have one question regarding that quote avatar_suspsy @suspsy posted from David Silva. He said the price will increase afterward for the preorder, but aren't you already preordering a figure when you back it on Kickstarter (in case the campaign is successful, of course)?

David used Backerkit after the Ceratopsian Kickstarter for preorders (and reaching the final stretch goals), with figures at a slightly higher price than the Kickstarter. The preorder price was still lower than the final production price..

If this Kickstarter works the same, then preorder will open soon after the Kickstarter. Minus any KS exclusives that may or may not crop up.

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Concavenator

Quote from: thedeadlymoose on September 18, 2021, 11:57:45 AM

David used Backerkit after the Ceratopsian Kickstarter for preorders (and reaching the final stretch goals), with figures at a slightly higher price than the Kickstarter. The preorder price was still lower than the final production price..

If this Kickstarter works the same, then preorder will open soon after the Kickstarter. Minus any KS exclusives that may or may not crop up.

I'm not sure I understand how all of this works, since the only experience I have with Kickstarter is that I used it to support the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus. If I'm interested in a figure, is supporting it on Kickstarter enough to get the figure? And then Backerkit is for preorders, once the campaign ends? Is that how this works?

And good to know the preorder price is lower than the final price.

Reuben03

Quote from: Dobber on September 18, 2021, 11:42:49 AM
So glad to hear the WWD Rex isn't limited. I don't care for the Dinoriders Rex so this works out well for me.

Chris

yes same, personally im holding out for a future WWD rex in 1/18, don't really care for 1/35th

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Faelrin

Quote from: Concavenator on September 18, 2021, 03:44:31 PM
Quote from: thedeadlymoose on September 18, 2021, 11:57:45 AM

I'm not sure I understand how all of this works, since the only experience I have with Kickstarter is that I used it to support the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus. If I'm interested in a figure, is supporting it on Kickstarter enough to get the figure? And then Backerkit is for preorders, once the campaign ends? Is that how this works?

And good to know the preorder price is lower than the final price.

Alright so when a kickstarter goes live it will typically have different pledge tiers, which have certain rewards tied to them. In regards to this upcoming Tyrannosaur series campaign the initial pledge tiers will be for the 1/18th and 1/35th scale T. rex figures (including the Dino Riders and WWD versions). For instance if you pledge at the WWD T. rex level, you'll get that as a reward (edit: only if the campaign is successfully funded in time). Additionally as stretch goals get unlocked (and depending on if post card sets, etc return), one can add those on by essentially increasing their pledge total to account for the cost. I think kickstarter has actually recently changed the system to be less confusing, so you can select addon's in addition to your initial pledge, where as in previous years you add to do the math manually for it, and cover what wasn't paid when the backerkit survey's get sent out.

Backerkit covers not only the pre-order store, but also serves as a system to send out surveys for the backers, which is a time to gather address information, and is a chance to add on more figures, or even change your initial pledge tier to something else (like maybe you don't have the full funds for the adult T. rex and need to pledge for something cheaper to be a backer, you could then change your pledge after the survey is sent, and can cover the rest of the cost that way). Once surveys are locked down, cards will be charged for any remaining unpaid funds. The address will not be locked until things are ready to ship, so if the shipping estimate is in September 2022, then it would be able to be freely changed as needed until then. Only the pledge tier and addon's would be locked at that time. Any future pre-orders would need to be made through the backerkit pre-order store (but I'm sure if anyone needs orders combined such as to save on shipping, etc, David can help with that). I've backed numerous kickstarters now so I have a lot of experience with this. If you have any other questions let me know. Maybe I should make a FAQ section on the front post to help get folks questions answered ahead of time, since I'm sure this will be many people's first time doing a kickstarter.

avatar_Dromaenychus @Dromaenychus I somehow missed that, when reading through the info suspsy shared earlier (and I in turn added to the first post). That is very good to see, as that's also the one I'm shooting for, and I know a lot of people have been interested in as well (it did win the poll a while back after all).

Important edit: I have updated the op to have an FAQ of sorts. If there's any other common questions I may have missed that should be front and center up there, please let me know folks. Again I know there's probably going to be a lot of first time backers here interested in this, if not returning ones, and I want to be able to help them as best I can.

ITdactyl

Throwing this query for the hive mind.

We've had discussions on the problems of soft bendy plastic with internal wires.  We also know that's a feature of this "toy line".

At the back of my head, I'm always worried about parts that I know will have a faster "decay" rate compared to the rest of the figure.  I'm curious, has anyone had any problems with the soft plastic of their BotM figures?  I only have 2 of the raptors. I haven't noticed any cracks or chips on the tails - then again, I haven't really handled them much. I did get them 2nd hand, with several of the pinion tips broken off.

And I am asking just because the tyrannosaurs are a heftier investment.

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Thank you very much for taking your time in explaining all that to me, I appreciate it.
The FAQ on the OP is a nice touch, and it will definitely be helpful to those who have less experience, just like me.

Faelrin

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl Last I checked, mine were fine, but it is very much something to be concerned about (there was a Titanoboa thread recently regarding such). The very nature of the material probably means it will eventually decay, but I guess kept in the right conditions could preserve /delay it.

Edit: avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Glad it was of help. I hope other folks take notice of it and check it. I want as many folks as possible not feeling confused about how all this works. Of course I'll still try to explain things and help folks as needed. This will be my 12 campaign. Guess which was my first?  ;)

Dromaenychus

Quote from: ITdactyl on September 18, 2021, 11:22:41 PM
Throwing this query for the hive mind.

We've had discussions on the problems of soft bendy plastic with internal wires.  We also know that's a feature of this "toy line".

At the back of my head, I'm always worried about parts that I know will have a faster "decay" rate compared to the rest of the figure.  I'm curious, has anyone had any problems with the soft plastic of their BotM figures?  I only have 2 of the raptors. I haven't noticed any cracks or chips on the tails - then again, I haven't really handled them much. I did get them 2nd hand, with several of the pinion tips broken off.

And I am asking just because the tyrannosaurs are a heftier investment.
I think the larger Tyrannosaurs won't have any rubber + wire parts. I have some Resaurus raptors that are over 20 years old that have rubber bodies with the wire, and they are fine. So hopefully the materials used in BotM figures about the same. Keeping them away from heat and humidity is probably key to extending theur life.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Dromaenychus on September 19, 2021, 06:51:51 AM
I think the larger Tyrannosaurs won't have any rubber + wire parts.

In the post with the Kickstarter info, David showed a photo of the 1/18 rex's parts, and the neck segment was labeled "flexible" (you can see it here). Someone asked about it in the comments, and David described it as a "flexible plastic part," without going into specifics. So the big tyrannosaurs will have a least one flexible part, though what the actual material is remains to be seen.
Check out my customs thread!

Concavenator

Quote from: Faelrin on September 19, 2021, 03:00:24 AM
Edit: avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Glad it was of help. I hope other folks take notice of it and check it. I want as many folks as possible not feeling confused about how all this works. Of course I'll still try to explain things and help folks as needed. This will be my 12 campaign. Guess which was my first?  ;)

The Beasts of the Mesozoic Raptor series, perhaps?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: